How does the WiFi work at BWV?

PaulaMurf

If you can't be a good example, at least serve as
Is it only available in the lobby? Is there any way to get it in your room? I know you pay by the 24 hours, do you just call the front desk and get a code to login to the network??

Thanks, we leave on Thursday :banana: and I completely forgot to find this out!

Paula in CT

High speed internet but not WiFi is in the rooms. There should be a cable in the bedroom closet. You just click on accept terms and you should be good to go....no need to call the desk.

I thought I had read someplace that there was wireless. My laptop is configured for wireless only. UGH

I think that there is wireless internet in the lobby. Not in the rooms- only ethernet cables.

Take a short walk to the Swan or Dolphin. I do know they have wireless in the lobby (or at least they used to). Although BWV could have wireless in the lobby like someone else mentioned, I've never checked that.

And if BWV does not have wireless in the lobby, check and see if there is a trade show in the BW convention center, bound to be a few free signals emanating from it. Perhaps lounging at the quiet pool back on the hotel side would reach a few of those signals. :-)

I will be on the look out for signals... I will just need to check emails from my work account each night, so, will be out there lurking for a wifi...LOL

THANKS

So help me out with this....if I have a laptop with WiFi and I go someplace quiet (like that pool:goodvibes ) and I find a signal, does that mean it is FREE?

So help me out with this....if I have a laptop with WiFi and I go someplace quiet (like that pool:goodvibes ) and I find a signal, does that mean it is FREE?

Not necessarily. Many signals are locked down and will either require a user name/password or will require you to register for fee based access. My comment before about looking for a trade show is that many times trade shows offer free wifi to attendees, and will be broadcasting pretty strong in the immediate vicinity. So if you are close enough you may be able to pick up the signal. Of course there may be some security risks for just trying any unsecured signal when you are not aware of who's providing the access. Using VPN software to protect work based information exchanges can help (if you are logging on to check email for example).

I thought I had read someplace that there was wireless. My laptop is configured for wireless only. UGH

I am no techie, but it would surprise me if your laptop only had a wireless modem and was not configured with a modem that could be be used for dial-up or broadband. You might double check with your IT people at work.

Best of luck and have a great trip. -- Suzanne

I am here at BWV now and tried to just start up my computer and see what it picks up. It did pick up a few wireless signals and one was called Free Public Wifi. All of the connections had one bar and it wouldn't let me connect to the "Free" one. I called the front desk to ask if free wifi was available in the lobby as I heard it was and they said no. Now twice I've been walking through the lobby and have seen the same man with his computer sitting in one of the chairs doing somethin. That by no means says he was on the internet, but it's possible.

I just grabbed the network cable from the closet and plugged in. It is 9.95 for 24 hours, but I can expense it through work!

MC

There was a Free Public WiFi available - at least in our room - we were very close to the lobby/front of the hotel, so it MAY have been from the convention center.

There is also High Speed access in each room through a LAN

AND there is WiFi in the lobby, pool area, community hall for $9.95 per 24 hours (I think the same cost as using it in your room)

So, I was able to wirelessly check email as DS went down the slide a zillion times!

(and, my computer really is wifi only, weird, I know, but its how we do everything!)

Thanks everyone, and I hope my update helps anyone on the way soon!

There was a Free Public WiFi available - at least in our room - we were very close to the lobby/front of the hotel, so it MAY have been from the convention center.

There is also High Speed access in each room through a LAN

AND there is WiFi in the lobby, pool area, community hall for $9.95 per 24 hours (I think the same cost as using it in your room)

So, I was able to wirelessly check email as DS went down the slide a zillion times!

(and, my computer really is wifi only, weird, I know, but its how we do everything!)

Thanks everyone, and I hope my update helps anyone on the way soon!
OK, this may be a very dumb question, but then I'm VERY computer-illiterate: if I sign up for 24 hours of WiFi for $9.95, and I'm at the pool when I do it, do I have to go to the pool whenever I want to use the WiFi? Or will I be able to use it at all 3 places-the lobby, pool, and community hall during those 24 hours? I just got my first laptop with WiFi, so I'm learning.

I'm like you Simba's Mom..well, almost, I don'[t have the computer yet..but I am interested in how you use the wifi installed in your computer. Actually I'm off to call about buying said computer RIGHT NOW! So I'll come back and hope you've gotten an answer...It's tuff to be computer illiterate, isn't it?:goodvibes

My DH used the cable in our room at the BWV last month and he found it v-e-r-y s-l-o-w..........lots of cussin' in frustration!

OK, this may be a very dumb question, but then I'm VERY computer-illiterate: if I sign up for 24 hours of WiFi for $9.95, and I'm at the pool when I do it, do I have to go to the pool whenever I want to use the WiFi? Or will I be able to use it at all 3 places-the lobby, pool, and community hall during those 24 hours? I just got my first laptop with WiFi, so I'm learning.

A good question actually!! It was the same WiFi Server at all 3 locations. I just wish they would expand it to the guest rooms too, otherwise, it was plenty fast, not any compliants here!

A good question actually!! It was the same WiFi Server at all 3 locations. I just wish they would expand it to the guest rooms too, otherwise, it was plenty fast, not any compliants here!
Thanks so much!

Dumb question so bear with me. I took a laptop with WiFi capability to VWL with me this week and when using it while on dial-up, a window would pop up saying there was WiFi available but it asked for my WEP number. What is a WEP number? We do not subscribe to any wireless network. In fact, we live in such a rural area that we can only get dial-up or satellite internet service.

Thanks!

Donna

It means that someone near you had a secure wireless connection. (Meaning they brought their own wireless router, and connected it to ethernet outlet in their room to create the wireless connetion.)
You would need to know their code in order to log on to use their signal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter