How does your company handle raises?

Our salaries go up but slowly. The lowest paid keep getting closer...

Stated minimum, correct. Reality no.

I posted a link with the reality tho. And most of them are under 25/hr

You posted a range. Like I said, I can't find anyone actually making the lower end.

selective research.

i twice provided the name of his state's official website w/ currently open and recruiting jobs along with their descriptions, minimum qualifications and salaries. i also indicated i initially found with a quick search a minimum of 30 pages of classification with salaries that fell well below his stated minimum $25 per hour starting. searching for 'someone i know' or the random name of someone you encounter who works for the state provides no criteria or insight into the many elements that go into someone's salary beyond their job classification which can vary greatly depending on years of service and in some cases job reclassification or pay differential.

i encountered this frequently when working with civil service h/r-applicants were quick to default and argue salary and benefits on the basis of 'what my friend who works for...' or 'everyone knows that the pay for... is REALLY...' vs. the accurate and legally binding government and union sanctioned and overseen public employment information and publications.

Earlier this year, my company evaluated each position and assigned them different levels along with corresponding pay ranges. So for example if your job is considered “senior” level you can only make between $17-$28 per hour (I made those numbers up but I know it’s close to that and of course the pay scales overlap) Those that were found to be underpaid were brought up to fall within their range, if they were paid higher then their range nothing changed. When hiring managers post a job they must define what level they are hiring for which limits the amount we are able to offer a new hire. We try to bring someone in lower or at mid level to ensure there is room for merit increases but I know with my new hire I had to bring her in a little higher after searching for 6 months. This means that she will “tap out” sooner or her merit increases will not be as high to keep her within range. This means she will either need to find a way to level up or move on. This is all clearly listed for employees to have access to as well. I’m not saying I agree or disagree with it but it is what it is. I also know that the ranges for salary are a lot bigger.
Our corporate headquarters is in the process of "modernizing" and over the past year or so has imposed many new policies. A rather earth-shaking one was to establish job classifications and "pay-bands" for everyone, whereas previously each business unit had total independence in hiring and wages. We did a one-time "correction" last April which saw a few people get raises and a few who were substantially above the bands had to be "fudged" into different titles/classifications in order to avoid wage reductions. There is now also a pretty complex matrix of factors for annual wage increases and those already making above the maximum they should, are not eligible for even minimum increases. We are all salaried and the staff positions I oversee make between $54K (most junior admin job) and $89K (most senior Technician). Pay is based on performance and seniority and there's a fairly wide swing between the highest-and-lowest paid people (doing the exact same jobs) within the job-classifications.

Our industry ping-pongs rapidly between lay-offs due to lack of work and frantically scrambling for qualified personnel. What a new hire will make (within the band) is totally dependent on their individual merit; we've hired several very near the top of the band, with full disclosure the wage doesn't have much potential for growth. We've also low-balled a few and ended up having room to offer large increases once they had proven themselves. We do corporate wage reviews (based on the matrix) every April and everyone who is eligible gets a raise, but we are also free to make individual adjustments as needed at the business-unit level.

You posted a range. Like I said, I can't find anyone actually making the lower end.
Click on the link I provided and it shows names of employees and what they make. There are several making under 40k/year. It’s not that hard to find if you actually want to find it. I provided you with a link to the people making under 20/hr

Here’s a screenshot so you don’t even have to look for it. That’s just the 1st page of 19

Attachments

• E8334F7F-8265-4C92-AF72-69082CA9119D.png
    E8334F7F-8265-4C92-AF72-69082CA9119D.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 8
I work for a University and we are fully unionized, so we don't have raises tied to merit or anything- just negotiated annual cost of living increases, maybe 3%? Not sure.

When I was an ed tech (paraprofessional) in the public schools, I was a union negotiator the year Maine put in the new laws increasing minimum wage to $9, $10, and $11 an hour over 3 consecutive years. I'm not talking teachers here, I'm talking staff; para-pros, kitchen staff, janitorial and office staff, etc. It was a nightmare trying to adjust the salary bands. It would have been nice to give everyone the same percentage increase, or the same actual dollar amount increase, but of course that kind of money isn't in the school budget. We finally figured out how to do it, but it included creating more salary bands with a greater number of "steps" so that people who had worked there longest weren't 'out-earned' by those who started at a higher minimum wage. Like I said, it was a nightmare. There was only one band/step that got a crappy increase- just the way it all worked out- and I was on that step; I got a 4cent an hour increase. Sucked, but it was in the best interest of the membership. I guess that makes me a great union rep but terrible in self-interest and support.

I'm a freelancer, get paid an hourly rate, and work mainly for two large companies. One of them hasn't given a raise in years and I've really scaled back working for them. The other company has been giving raises, usually about $1/hour, pretty much every year--but this year, nothing.

I have no idea what regular employees at this company make but I'm pretty sure the freelance rates are the same for every freelancer, since I know someone else who works for them.
I'm a freelancer, get paid an hourly rate, and work mainly for two large companies. One of them hasn't given a raise in years and I've really scaled back working for them. The other company has been giving raises, usually about $1/hour, pretty much every year--but this year, nothing.

I have no idea what regular employees at this company make but I'm pretty sure the freelance rates are the same for every freelancer, since I know someone else who works for them.

My full time job I was at for 30 years was a union job and everyone was paid the same and got the same raises- my part time job now I never really requested a raise because I am doing it more to keep busy than for the money but I am the only worker here so he has raised the salary a few times on his own- the last time was a 2.50 an hour raise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter