• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How far in advance to start looking for points to rent??

MomofKatie

Dairy World? Fairy World! OH, DARN IT!!
We are heading to WDW this fall, and we are already planning our next trip!! We'd like to try to rent DVC points, if we can, for the early part of next December (2006).

How far in advance should I start looking for someone to rent points from? And when will payment be due? I'd like to have a while to save the $$.

Thanks for the advice!

The earliest that this ressie can be made is Jan '06, 11 months out, and the early part of December is a busy DVC time because the points are lowest in that season.

So, I'm guessing you would want to find someone to rent to you in this December, go over the terms and have things arranged so the ressie can be made in January.

Since you plan so far in advance, are you sure you don't want to own some DVC points?

Bobbi :flower:

If you want to stay at VWL, BCV or BWV, you'll need to find a member who can make the reservation for you as soon as the 11 month reservation window opens. That is especially true if you want VWL, a standard view room at the BWV or a guaranteed Boardwalk view at the BWV. If you want OKW or SSR, you won't have to reserve quite so early, but it is still a good idea to get your reservation set before the 7 month mark.

Many members book their home resort on a day by day basis to ensure getting a reservation for early December. If you wait, you may not get your first choice of resort, rtoom size and dates.

To rent DVC points for that time (early December, 11 months ahead of arrival), expect to pay $12 -$13 per point. If you find an owner willing to rent for less, consider yourself very lucky!

Keep in mind that most members consider renting to be a non-refundable transaction. Be sure you understand the member's cancellation /rescheduling policy before you commit. It will vary by individual member.

Payment terms will also vary. It is not uncommon for members to ask for 50% when the reservation is made and the balance 60 - 90 days prior to arrival.

If I were renting for that time, I'd start looking for an owner in late November or December. That way, I'd have time to find someone I was comfortable with and time to negotiate all the terms. Then the owner would be ready to make my reservation as soon as the 11 month window opens.

Good luck - you've chosen a wonderfule time to go!

Best wishes -

Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll start shopping around for points in the next few months.

Bobbi- if I could convince DH to purchase some points, believe me, I would! Alas, he is not a Disneyphile- I expect I will have to do some convincing just to go next fall (but the joke's on him- with the $$ savings from the Free Dining deal this fall, I bought 10 day Premium non-expire Tickets- we HAVE to go again to use them up! :bitelip: )

CarolMN said:
If you want OKW or SSR, you won't have to reserve quite so early, but it is still a good idea to get your reservation set before the 7 month mark.
I can vouch for that. I reserved at OKW in my 11 month window and then decided to add a day just after the 7 month window opened. I was able to get a one-bedroom, but not a two-bedroom for the night I wanted (12/7), so I had to waitlist.

I got the waitlist, but the moral of the story is...booking in the 11 month window is key for early December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter