How get to WDW from airport?

sus

Mouseketeer
What's the best way for our party of 6 adults, 3 kids (one adult flying in a motorized wheelchair) to get from the airport to the parks? Do any of the "towncar" services have wheelchair accessible vans, or does anyone know if we should just rent a van.

I agree with Cheshire.

I always use Mears from The Airport to Disney travelling in my own motorised chair. They have vans equipped with tailgate lifts that would take a maximum of two powerchairs with say four seated passengers plus their luggage. (or more passengers with less luggage). At least the Mears vans I have used would not be big enough for six adults, two seated children, a power wheelchair and luggage. They might however have something bigger that I have never seen, or they might split you between two vans.

Some people say that the Towncar services are better because they don't drop off at other hotels on the way unlike the regular Mears buses that might make drop off at several other hotels before getting to yours.

With the small wheelchair vans, however you will almost certainly have the van to yourself and go direct to your hotel.

I don't know if any of the towncar services has a wheelchair van, but that doesn't mean they haven't. It might be that your party needs to split up, one group in the Mears van, and the rest in a fleet of Towncars.

Youshould have fun organising it all!

Andrew

as far as I know Mears is the only company with lifts in them. And as far as stopping like the towncars offer. we have had Mears stop for us before with out any problems

Since Mears charges per person, I would suggest having the one person that needs the accesible vehicle to use Mears (or maybe two if they don't want to travel alone). That person should get direct service to the resort using the accessible vehicle.

Then have the rest of the group use one of the Towncar Services getting their van.

With 9 folks, Mears would be 252 + a small tip for bags.

If you split up, Mears would be $28 for the one person needing the accessible van, and then the Towncar service van for the other 8 folks would be about $150 with tip at the most.

Hope this helps.

Carol

Originally posted by Andrew Bichard
..With the small wheelchair vans, however you will almost certainly have the van to yourself and go direct to your hotel.
I don't know if any of the towncar services has a wheelchair van, but that doesn't mean they haven't. It might be that your party needs to split up, one group in the Mears van, and the rest in a fleet of Towncars...
FYI, I have contected most of the Towncar services, and those that bothered to respond informed me that they do not have accesible vehicles and/or directed me to Mears. Note that we have also hired an accessible taxicab and had decent service as well; in facts, when Mears is backed up, they simply contract with a cab.

I think Andrew and clkelley are right to suggest splitting the party for transport purposes, as it would be much more cost-effective. Two of you with Mears or in a cab would work great, while the rest can ride with the towncar service one of their vans. Then have the folks with the towncar service take care of the grocery stop, while those of you riding in the Mears van start the checkin process: divide & conquer!:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter