• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How has DVC membership changed the way you vacation at WDW?

edk35

DIS Veteran
We have taken quite a few trips to WDW and we are/were the types to DO DO DO the parks. We weren't into the resort too much where we stayed. Sure they were nice and all...but we hardly use the resorts except for a room to sleep and shower in because it was just that A ROOM...but now I am soooooooooooo looking forward to doing "other things" besides commando trips to the parks and having nice roomy places to stay. I always felt like we needed to squeeze as much out of our trips in the past and some were just exhausting. Our two Jan. trips were the best as far as pacing and not feeling as if we needed a vacation from our vacation when we got back home. I am hoping that our future DVC trips will change all of this. For example...in Aug. we are staying at BWV for 3 nights. So we will probably go to EC once from there but we want to use the pool and hang out at the Boardwalk do mini golf nearby. I am looking forward to that part of our trip. Matter of fact we are wait listed for a 4th night. I would like to maybe go over to Beach Club to check it out and maybe have a meal over there. While at SSR (home resort) for our 5 nights.....we plan on using the pool, doing DTD, Disney QUEST and the two water parks. We have never ever gone to DQ or the WP. We will probably go back to EC another day and that is probably it for parks. We were there in JAN. and we did all of the parks and did so much at a nice pace and cool temps. We have never been in Aug. I am sure the heat is going to be killer so that is why I am thinking more RESORT hanging and less parks. We will skip the other three parks all together. I want the kids to enjoy THE OTHER parts of Disney without always cramming in major park action. So I am just curious if anyone else's vacation patterns changed after becoming DVC members. Our kids' ages are below and they love swimming so I hope they are not disappointed in not doing the parks so much. We willl plan on those type trips in Nov. or Jan. when we go and the weather is so much better. I am thinking we will do a summer trip each year when the kid's school/activity schedules allow for it better and we can stay longer then too. Any feedback is truly appreciated and if you have kids how do they take to less park time? Thanks

still stay the same length but go more often!!!!

definitely more relaxing.

will be back.

some trips don't even plan doing all the parks. BCV and BWV - only do studios and epcot.

vwl - do MK and sometimes Epcot.

OKW and SSR - do whatever I feel like!!!

rest days are definitely in my schedule.

remember your 16 old is old enough to go to the parks by herself (if she wants to) next year your 13th can do it too. Disney wants kids to be at least 14 years old before they go on the buses and into the parks by themselves.

so if they don't like swimming with the 8year old - she can leave.

More relaxed. Less commando. No need to see every attraction on every visit. And we stay for more days on each visit.

No kids myself, but on my trips I find I take a more relaxed approach. If a park's too crowded, I go back to SSR and kick back. I've been with my sister and family and it's the same. Since the girls know they'll be back (13 & 10 yo), they don't pressure their parents to do parks all day. They, too, enjoy the pools, Downtown Dis, etc. It's nice to know that if there's a 70 minute wait and no more fast passes, you can catch Soarin' the next time. The kids get it, too. Given the luxury we all have to visit time after time, the presure's to do it all is off. I love my trips far more now. Relax and do Disney! Not that's a concept. Ahhhh! :tigger:

I enjoy most aspects except for the necessity to pin down vacation time over a year ahead of time. DHs employer is not very accommodating as to changing dates scheduled. Slooooowly, getting used to the bizarre practice of planning trips 2 and 3 years ahead of time;) .

We still commando in the sense of at least a few early EMH (old habits are hard to break).

Owning DVC has definitely relaxed my pace during my trips. I don't have the same urgency to do everything, and rush around like I did before DVC. DVC definitely makes my Disney vacations more relaxed because I know that there is always another trip on the horizon.

... if you have kids how do they take to less park time? Thanks

The biggest advantage of DVC for our family is that it allows us to be able to afford an annual trip to WDW!:yay:

My kids are 8 and 10 and on our last trip (OKW-11/06), I finally scheduled a 1/2 day for R&R at the resort. The kids loved it and my DD(10) actually complained that she had to miss the poolside craft activity (How to Make Towel Animals) because it was time for us to go to EPCOT!!:confused3 My DS(8) did not want to leave the pool.

Believe it or not, one of the things I love most about the 1 or 2 BR units at the DVC resorts is having a washer and dryer right there in the unit!:laughing:

I pack about half the clothes that I used to pack for a week-long trip, because doing laundry is so convenient. In the past, I either had to stay up late to do laundry at the laundry room or I got stuck doing the laundry while everyone else got to nap or swim.

The roominess of the villas really adds to everyones comfort.

We always had breakfast in our room to save morning touring time, and having a kitchen and a spacious dining area is really nice. A couple of times we even had eggs and toast. I like this much better than eating at a crowded food court: it is a much calmer way to start the day.

We are going more often now - which also makes me very comfortable with going with just dd for a few days.

Has allowed us to cruise on DCL every other year.

Feels like my second home.

Much more relaxed, no more commando.

We do non-park days (spend the day at the pool, etc.)

Invite friends, family or sons' friends with us.

We are now able to spend more time exploring the other resorts and dine at some of the restaurants more often, take tours, rent boats, mice boat (?), etc.

DH (and sons) gets to play a round of golf.

Just to name a few.

Before DVC I never took a baby to WDW. They had to be at least 3 before I would consider it. I just couldn't imagine the lack of sleep everyone would get because the baby wouldn't have a quite place to be put down for naps and early bedtime. We just purchase DVC and we are planning a trip with our newest baby this summer who will be 18 months. I am so excited about the space and the wahser/dryer. I have for kids - DD11, DD8, DS6, and DS1.

My first answer-Absolutely!! DVC changed our vacations in many ways.

1. I don't have to save as much up for our Disney trips or worry about IF we'll go to Disney this year

2. Relaxation-my kids LOVE the pools and the DVC resorts so we spend time enjoying the resorts now-much more than when we didn't own DVC

3. More trips! I have it at 2 5-6 day trips in a studio each year (favorite months are early Dec., late Feb., and May) I take 2 kids on one trip and 2 on the next.

4. A longer August vacation-14-19 days, with a stop at POR in between (free dining for the third year now)

5. The perks-we loved the Summer Block Party, even the 10% off at Ghiradelli thrills us

6. Knowing that we will have family vacations for the next 40 something years-PRICELESS!

Very relaxed. We always find ourselves saying "oh we'll do that next time" Spend lots of time relaxing at the pool or wandering DTD.

i guess i'd say that the AP's that we bought as a result of the great DVC discount actually changed our vaca habits more than being in a DVC resort itself...we used to do all-commando, all-the-time. with AP's, we don't force it. we don't utilize the EMH's like we used to - and we ALWAYS come back to the room at some point during the heat of the day to rejuvenate for the evening.

we had been coming to WDW at least once per year prior to DVC...the one thing that we are doing now is staying a bit longer (12 days currently scheduled for JUN) - with 2 trips/year looking to be the norm from here on out!

First we go more often, because the room is already "paid for" and do not feel we need to do every attraction. We actually spend a lot more time at the resort (BCV is one of our home resorts) and less time in the parks. The kids are young (5, 3, and 1 with # 4 coming soon) and enjoy the pool time. Have also stayed at Vero and just loved being by the pool, playing on the ship and visiting the beach. I don't think we would have tried Vero w/o DVC.

I also found on my last trip in June that other DVCers with older kids were keeping the parks to an after 3 activity for the cooler nights and the crowds seem to thin out. Sometimes when we do the parks it is in at 8 and out by 1 to give the kids a rest before dinner.

Love knowing we will be back again next year.

Maureen

Owning DVC has actually led to far less planning on my part. And it has given me the opportunity to stay in other locations using the timeshare I used trade for WDW visits. I'm one of those people who should have bought Hilton Head instead of WDW. Right now that's the one place I can't get when I want it. I've been able to trade into it in the fall but that's about it.

Owning DVC has definitely relaxed my pace during my trips. I don't have the same urgency to do everything, and rush around like I did before DVC. DVC definitely makes my Disney vacations more relaxed because I know that there is always another trip on the horizon.

My feelings exactly!

Not to mention the fact that we are planning on two trips a year (up from one every other year or so). Actually, our trip in April will make our 4th WDW DVC trip in the past 12 months! :goodvibes So much for planning.....:rotfl:

I used to tell myself that a hotel room was OK. So what if I'm living like a part-time Wal-Mart employee, I'm seeing lots of neat stuff. I can be comfortable when I get home. Nonsense! My Grand Villa is nicer than my home. I am truly "vacationing" that is experiencing something better than I am used to while I am seeing lots of neat stuff.

It has not changed how I vacation at WDW, it has caused me to vacation at WDW when I never used to go. But yes, now that I am going to WDW it is a bit more low key. I find that the room/resort is something to look forward to going back to after a fun day vs. just a place to catch some sleep.

We used to go to DL prob once a year. The negative impact of DVC memership is that have not been to DL in WAY too long. Gotta maximize that DVC membership, plus there is still too much to see. I know I can use points at the hotels, but I love the extra space that DVC offers.

I need to get back to DL. Just certain things that are unique you can't find at WDW. Why I'm hoping for the West Coast DVC.

We relax more. If I don't get an ADR or we don't go to a particular park I just remind myself that we will be back before we know it.:cool1:

It absolutely changes everything about our WDW vacations.

1--we go MORE often. If there is a great DING! fare...we're there. It is so easy...hotel? already paid for! tickets? got 'em already. Food? we have Disney Visa rewards dollars. So that leaves air fare. We used to able to go once/year. For the same money, we can now go 3x/year.

2--No more commando. We plan (and LOVE) our down days. Hanging by the pool, some light shopping, maybe some resort hopping to visit the other resorts and take in the decor, etc.

3--washer/dryer in the room when you have 3 kids? That is worth the price of DVC alone! :rotfl:

4--rainy days? Not a problem. Go to the community hall, hang out in the villa and play games b/c we have enough room (we don't have to spread a board game out on a bed, for example), get a pedicure at the fabulous SSR spa...whatever.

5--for some reason don't want to go to WDW this year? Bank those points. Or rent them and take the case from the rental and go somewhere else (perish the thought! It hasn't happened to us yet! :rotfl: )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter