How I Became Addicted to DVC: The Return of KC Mouse

KC Mouse

Mouseketeer
Our next experience with DVC was far more calculated. Now that we had felt the rush of DVC deluxe accommodations we began to plan our next trip. We continued to research and watch the Dis Unplugged show on Youtube. Several years later we were introduced to DVC rental store through the Dis Unplugged cast. We crunched the numbers and discerned that it would be close to the same cost to rent points. Low and behold the year of our trip just happened to be 2020. Need I say more…
With all the fun of COVID our vacation was pushed back, back and back again until Disney finally reopened the resorts. We finally were able to secure a reservation at the Polynesian Resort. We had long been building our immune systems by keeping pocket change in our mouths and licking public doorknobs. We were finally ready for our DVC experience.
We enjoyed the most beautiful vacation that year. There were significant changes to the Disney experience, restaurants closed, not parades or fireworks but the parks were empty and our rental expenses were very low. We enjoyed a theme park view every evening and dinner out on our balcony. Once again it was an amazing experience but we still were not ready to buy in. We needed to organize, crunch the numbers and strike when the irons hot.

We booked yet another DVC rental vacation…our addiction was becoming insatiable.

After several experiences with DVC we were more than hooked. We just needed the right time and experience to cement our decision. We began to research the market and resorts that we enjoyed. Thanks to Pet’s suggestion, “Buy where you want to stay!” We knew we needed to find the right resort for our type of vacation. We had stayed at the Poly and Saratoga Springs. We had enjoyed dinners at Animal Kingdom, The Grand Floridian and the Contemporary so we had some familiarity with each.

Finally we had an excuse to splurge. I had completed my final year of seminary and as counted the cost of graduation and a celebration I made a knee jerk decision to take all that money and apply it to a Disney vacation to celebrate. I jumped onto the DVC rental site and booked a two week vacation in a studio at Old Key West.
My main ambition was to relax, swim, read and rest. The parks are great but after producing my thesis and defending it to the death…I needed peace. Old Key West did not disappoint.

We discovered our home away from home. I know that Old Key West doesn't have the location of the Poly, Grand or Contemporary. I know that OKW is not as immersive as Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge but man talk about relaxation. We fell in love with the laid back, relaxed flow of OKW. We lounged around the pool, ate at Olivia's…many times! We enjoyed the ferry boat to Disney Springs. It was everything we loved about Disney without the rush.
We found our home now and we needed to strike at the right moment. We studied the market and saved our money.

Finally the day arrived, we were listening to the DVC show that day at work. As soon as Paul said that the ROFR monster was asleep I called my wife and told her we needed to act. We checked the DVC store site and there was a OKW owner that was ready to sell. Low and behold the use year was perfect and the price was close. We contacted the owner and proposed a low ball offer of $77.00 a point for a 230 point contract. To our surprise the owner was happy to sell and the deal was struck.

We are now proud owners of 230 points at the Old Key West resort. We have booked our first vacation at a grand villa in January and a following vacation in June at a studio. I can not thank the Dis Unplugged and DVC crew for doing what you do. We have experienced so much joy during this buying process. Your work is truly appreciated.

We had long been building our immune systems by keeping pocket change in our mouths and licking public doorknobs. We were finally ready for our DVC experience.
O M G! So funny 🤣
I know that Old Key West doesn't have the location of the Poly, Grand or Contemporary. I know that OKW is not as immersive as Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge but man talk about relaxation. We fell in love with the laid back, relaxed flow of OKW.
Don't own there, but have stayed there many times by choice. Love the vibe, the room, and the pools. It's very relaxing and so very pretty. Welcome Home! Congratulations on your really nice purchase!

Great review! This story reminded me a lot of how my wife and I decided to purchase DVC. I had done so much research by watching the Dis Unplugged and DVC Fan shows, studying that resorts/room accommodations, and points charts, and by building spreadsheets to show my wife how we could utilize our points each year. I felt like I knew everything there was to know before I had even become a member.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

O M G! So funny 🤣

Don't own there, but have stayed there many times by choice. Love the vibe, the room, and the pools. It's very relaxing and so very pretty. Welcome Home! Congratulations on your really nice purchase!
We recently returned from our January Grand-villa vacation and we couldn't be more happy with the experience. There were some hiccups along the vacation, golf balls crashing into our balcony, traffic noise from the highway across from Miller's Road but it was still a magical vacation. One unexpected problem...add on points! After looking at some Bolder Ridge contracts the temptation is setting in. June at Old Key West and December at Bolder Ridge...I am inspired!

So much temptation, and OKW and BRV are a perfect pairing. 😉 We love the Lodge area as well. We have taken to doing spilt stays, BCV and a second resort, sometimes OKW, CCV, AKL, SSR are the favorites. Honestly, there are too many positives!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter