How is Palms Suites Lakeside (formally Mainstay Suites)?

We booked the family suite (2 queens and a sleeper sofa) for the first 3 nights- the bi-level suite was sold out, and we got the bi-level suite for the last 6 nights. We figured it would be ok to switch rooms. I too like the idea of having 2 bathrooms! I think it will save us some precious time in the mornings!

just a little bump- I too decided to book these I couldn't pass up the deal. I hope that it is ok since this is our first trip and I don't want to mess that up.

I'm a little concerned about how much construction there might be in that area and if that is the reason for the huge discount right now. On another thread someone mentioned a great deal of road construction to 192 in the area of the Super Target. IIRC, that is right where this hotel is. And from past experience, when it is dry down there, dust gets everywhere from cars and trucks driving through the construction zones. Hopefully that isn't the case, and I'll still provide a report when I return.

Just wanted to post that I saw a more recent review on I believe Expedia and it was a good one.... Has anyone stayed there yet?

I will be going next week!!!!!!! Checking in on saturday and out on the 14th. Got 10 nights in the family suite for 440.70 total (that is with the taxes) :cool1: . I'll let ya know how it is when I get home!!!!

I'm actually there right now. (Free wireless internet). I was going to post a short review when I got back. I could sum it up. For the price, it is well worth it. I think it is better to have a suite in the back that overlooks the lake. There are still a lot of annoyances but for as little as I paid, I really can't complain.

VacationDad said:
I'm actually there right now. (Free wireless internet). I was going to post a short review when I got back. I could sum it up. For the price, it is well worth it. I think it is better to have a suite in the back that overlooks the lake. There are still a lot of annoyances but for as little as I paid, I really can't complain.
Thanks for posting VacationDad! I'm glad to hear a positive review! We are not picky about a place to stay, we just want something clean that's priced right, and have to have room for 5 people. The choices have been pretty slim without paying a fortune! I was really excited to find this and was hoping it wasn't too good to be true! It sounds perfect for us. The wireless internet is in the room, isn't it?

Thanks again for posting!

I can give a quick review from what I've experienced so far:

The Good:

Free wireless internet access in your room.
Nice view of "natural" Florida out the sliding glass doors
from suites in the back. Also from pier.
Chance to watch birds, lizards, and other little animals out back.
Decent free breakfast pastries, bagels, toast, muffins, juice, coffee.
Small kitchen for preparing cheap family meals.
Warm pool, and hot hot tub.
Super Target across the road for supplies.
Pretty quiet, at least where I am.

The Bad:

Lack of cleaning of pool and pool area. Pool and pool area is full of little leaves that have recently blown off the trees.
Terratorial, (but harmless), wood-boring bees hover menacingly around the door to your room as you exit and enter during the day.

The Ugly:

Screen door on sliding glass doors leading to small deck overlooking lake probably hasn't worked since President Reagan was in office.
A lot of boards on the walkways and decks are in desperate need of replacement. (Probably why all the wood-boring bees are around)

I wouldn't pay more than $60 a night maximum to stay here. They do charge a $5 a day "resort fee" which wasn't part of my original quoted price so with taxes and everything I paid $58 a night for a family suite. If you are looking for a perfect and memorable hotel experience for your Disney vacation then you had better look elsewhere, but if you are willing to overlook the imperfections in order to save a lot of money and still enjoy the convenience of a kitchen, then you will probably be satisfied here.

VacationDad said:
I can give a quick review from what I've experienced so far:

The Good:

Free wireless internet access in your room.
Nice view of "natural" Florida out the sliding glass doors
from suites in the back. Also from pier.
Chance to watch birds, lizards, and other little animals out back.
Decent free breakfast pastries, bagels, toast, muffins, juice, coffee.
Small kitchen for preparing cheap family meals.
Warm pool, and hot hot tub.
Super Target across the road for supplies.
Pretty quiet, at least where I am.

The Bad:

Lack of cleaning of pool and pool area. Pool and pool area is full of little leaves that have recently blown off the trees.
Terratorial, (but harmless), wood-boring bees hover menacingly around the door to your room as you exit and enter during the day.

The Ugly:

Screen door on sliding glass doors leading to small deck overlooking lake probably hasn't worked since President Reagan was in office.
A lot of boards on the walkways and decks are in desperate need of replacement. (Probably why all the wood-boring bees are around)

I wouldn't pay more than $60 a night maximum to stay here. They do charge a $5 a day "resort fee" which wasn't part of my original quoted price so with taxes and everything I paid $58 a night for a family suite. If you are looking for a perfect and memorable hotel experience for your Disney vacation then you had better look elsewhere, but if you are willing to overlook the imperfections in order to save a lot of money and still enjoy the convenience of a kitchen, then you will probably be satisfied here.

How far/near are you to Disney and Universal? How about food choices - are they plentiful? Thanks-

I think that we can handle those bads and uglies. Pretty much we are just looking for a place to crash at night. My DH is kinda a commado type when on vacation so even though I have planned for some down time I am sure that all that will change when we get there. Thanks again...

djm99 said:
How far/near are you to Disney and Universal? How about food choices - are they plentiful? Thanks-

It's about 15 minutes with traffic from the Magic Kingdom parking lot. I would say another 10-15 minutes in walking, monorail, tram time. So about 30 minutes from Main Street USA to your suite.

We didn't go to Universal.

VacationDad YOU ROCK !!! Thanks so much for posting what you thought of this place.. I can't wait to get there --- April Vacation isn't coming soon enough

Looking forward to hear what you have to say OhioGrumpyGirl !!

Michelle

I should add, now that I am home, that the housekeeping was not optimal. It seems to take all day for them to get to every room. Some evenings we would get home from being out all day and the room still hadn't been cleaned. Then around 6 PM while we were getting ready to eat dinner, there would be a knock at the door asking if we wanted our room cleaned. You might not notice it if you are out past 6 every day, but we ate a prepared dinner a lot of nights to take advantage of the kitchen, so it was pretty annoying. Just something else to think about.

Excellent Feedback -- I am one for asking for no housekeeping so this might not impact us. Thanks again!! Michelle

We stayed there on out last trip and we going back in two weeks and we will be staying there again. We do not spend a lot of time in the room and so it was perfect for us. We are just there long enough to sleep and shower. We never used the stove or anything. We used the fridge to keep some sodas in the room and for left overs from dinner. For the price it is worth it but you are one to really spend time in the room and relax in the room a lot, then you should book a room somewhere else. I am not one for having house keeping come in either and so I can not comment on the house keeping. I do know that the rooms were very clean though when we arrived and there were no probelms or complaints of any one else traveling with us. We were all pretty happy.

Thanks kid@heart.. Look forward to hearing about your stay when you get back in a few weeks!!!

Glad to hear it was ok:)

If you have pictures, don't forget to post them as well:):) We'd all love to see them!

:sunny:

mbb said:
Glad to hear it was ok:)

If you have pictures, don't forget to post them as well:):) We'd all love to see them!

:sunny:

This was the view out back at sunset:

10029425rl.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter