How many lost points are acceptable?

2008 OKW owner, never ever is losing a single point acceptable. If you can't go give it a relative or friend.

Almost ten years of owning now, and I lost 2 points. I’m not going to fly cross country for a night that I have to pay out of pocket for, to get the OTU points. It irked me to lose them, but since I tend to use more than one UY at a time, at a certain point I ran out of options.

We have owned since 2007 and have never lost a point yet. We have 395, but honestly we end up borrowing a few almost every year so we never really have "extra" points left over at the end of a year. The thing that we have found with DVC (that we did not really consider before we bought in) is how much we end up going with friends or family and getting a 2 bedroom. Those will eat up points really fast, thus the borrowing. That being said we have never once regretted buying into DVC and we think it is one of the best decisions we have ever made. We have taken great vacations and by getting those two bedroom villas our kids have gotten to go with grandparents, cousins, family friends etc. There is no way we would have paid cash prices for those trips. Sure we are about 40k into this in upfront cost and maybe another 23k or so in fees, but we have taken about 30 trips with DVC so far. Been to Aulani twice in a 2 bedroom for a week. A week long Grand Villa BLT trip, and tons of other trips. I do wish I would have kept a full run down of all of our trips just so I could have an idea of what our "cash" cost would have been if we had stayed in those rooms.

We lost 6 or seven points once. We would have given a night away to a relative who lives in the Orlando area, but it wasn't enough points for even 1 night.
I guess we have been lucky, but we have never had to cancel a trip after booking.

We are another family who planned to go only very 2 or three years. That was because that was all the points we could afford to buy at that time, but it worked out great for us. We banked and borrowed points. We have managed a two week stay one June in a two bedroom at SRR, a week that included Christmas in a treehouse, Christmas week in a two bedroom at OKW, and a couple of shorter trips to DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter