How many miles a year do you drive?

How many miles a year do you put on your car?

• under 10K

Votes: 40 54.8%
  • 10-15K

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • 15-20K

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • 20K-more

Votes: 10 13.7%

• Total voters
Not much but do not know the exact number. I have been working remote since the pandemic started and only drive to a few things in my area once or twice a week. My DH is the one who drives when we go places together either in the area or could be 30 minutes to 2 hours away plus during the week he runs a lot of errands with my DM or they have doctor appointments so he racks up a lot more than me but am not sure of his mileage.

I was in the over 20,000 group, as my commute was 67 miles each way. Now I am under 10,000.

Meanwhile on the other end of the spectrum, a sibling had a commute of about 3 miles, and has a 1999 vehicle with maybe around 50,000 miles total.

Not much but do not know the exact number. I have been working remote since the pandemic started and only drive to a few things in my area once or twice a week. My DH is the one who drives when we go places together either in the area or could be 30 minutes to 2 hours away plus during the week he runs a lot of errands with my DM or they have doctor appointments so he racks up a lot more than me but am not sure of his mileage.
Your insurance doesn't require you to report your odometer reading every year? Mine does. That is how they know how much to charge.

Your insurance doesn't require you to report your odometer reading every year? Mine does. That is how they know how much to charge.
Auto insurance varies so much from state to state that I have learned to not expect what I know to be the same in another state.

I have only been asked for mileage once in 30 years of having auto insurance. I can't remember if I changed companies or if the company just didn't follow through in subsequent years.

I think in many states LexisNexis driving data is purchased and used as well. Not sure if that is the case in all states or with all insurance companies.

As more and more cars come with onboard telemetry I expect the telemetry to be used rather than trusting the customer to report honestly.

we live rural as well in the same kind of situation store distance wise (closest store of any type is about 15 miles-bigger ones on the scale of targe much further) but i found that i shop MUCH LESS and bundle errands than i did when stuff was in closer proximity). that said-

we are less than 10K per year (and get a discount on our insurance for it). it boggles my mind that i used to do a 100 mile per day round trip commute and the number of miles we put on the cars we owned then was astronimcal. we currently own 2, a 2006 and a 2013-both bought new. the 2006 has 70,000 miles on it, the 2013 has 60,000.
Do you work from home? How do you keep it that low?

I should really learn to make one post replying to all lol. When I changed jobs to work closer to home, I really expected the amount I drove would drop quite a bit. But that was 4.5 years ago, so my boys were only 5&8 then. They'd just started wrestling and we didn't do a ton of tournaments then. Since then, they both are in football and wrestling. And I swear, every single wrestling tournament, both youth club and middle school, has been over an hour away. We've had many youth tournaments where they were 200+ miles away. So I've made up for my daily commute in sports miles lol. With a brief period in my early 20's, I've always lived in the country. Never with in walking distance of anything really. Heck, the nearest house to me growing up was a mile away. I'm not that rural now, but we have 13 acres and everyone around us has 5 or more acres. We live in the kind of rural area where 85% of the kids in the school district (752 kids K-12) are on gravel roads, so if it snows even a little, school is cancelled.

My wife has been working from home for a number of years now, so her car has very low miles. I think she's at just over 60K miles and it's a 2016. And it probably would have been even less, except our younger son drove her car a lot for the first 6 months or so after he got his license (before we got him his own car).

Very low mileage here. About 3-4K per year. I work from home full time and everything I need is within about 10-15 minute drive. Even Disneyland is only about 20-25 minutes away. I often have weeks my car does not move at all from Monday-Friday if I have no errands or appointments in those weeks.

I work a hybrid schedule and I average about 7000 miles per year. Most of my other driving is local within 5 miles. My car is almost 8 yo and am close to hitting 50k miles on it.

retired
We live in the kind of rural area where 85% of the kids in the school district (752 kids K-12) are on gravel roads, so if it snows even a little, school is cancelled.
interesting-our small district (about 500 k-12 in total) has the least snow days called of any district in our region despite dealing with all the gravel or bare dirt roads. we attribute it to them almost exclusivly employing local farmers as bus drivers-they are capable of safely driving in the worst of conditions. when my kids were school age they would GROAN when they heard all the other districts announced on the news as having snow days but almost never ours. those complaints were forgotten though when they routinely ended their school year up to 3 weeks earlier than the other districts :rotfl:

Me- my daily car is 18 years and has around 91,000 so I drive ~5000/year. I work from home 2 days/week and when I got to the office it's less than a 10mi round trip commute.

DH's car is the one we take a trips and such but since he retired he's prob in the same range as me.

I drive for both work and pleasure. Between the two I average more than 30K per year and have consistently done so for decades.

I generally drive one car to the office and the other for mostly fun on the weekends or really nice weekdays(like today). Between the two I put about 15,000 total

I bought my car in 2020 and just hit 7500 miles, including a road trip last year. I am easy on my vehicles.

Mine has never ever asked that. Maybe that is a California thing?
You're probably right. Just filled out the form, I get one every year. Not sure how insurance companies verify mileage in states where they don't do that. We did have insurance reform here 20 years ago because people found they were being charged for a lot more miles than they actually drove.

Auto insurance varies so much from state to state that I have learned to not expect what I know to be the same in another state.

I have only been asked for mileage once in 30 years of having auto insurance. I can't remember if I changed companies or if the company just didn't follow through in subsequent years.

I think in many states LexisNexis driving data is purchased and used as well. Not sure if that is the case in all states or with all insurance companies.

As more and more cars come with onboard telemetry I expect the telemetry to be used rather than trusting the customer to report honestly.
We have a smog check program here where when a car is 8 years old or older it gets an official inspection every other year, so they could also get mileage figures from an independent source that way. And many service facilities report mileage of cars they work on to CarFax, although my neighbor went to sell his car and found that a quick oil change place reported his odometer reading 50,000 miles higher than it was.

I just sold my nearly 12-year old car with around 83,000 miles on it. My commute is minimal and, even though we use my car on weekends and for trips, my yearly mileage stays relatively low

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter