How much did your parents help you towards your first home of your own?

Zero amount; I didn't need any help as far as being able to afford it went. My sister did provide a sum for bridge-financing while the bank got it's act together but it was very quickly repaid to her. My current home was purchased with the proceeds of my parents' estate, if you want to count that.

uh, no. There was not an expectation that my parents would help in any way. I guess the only thing I can say is they encouraged me along the way toward adulthood. that's all I got.

None. Although they bought us a Weber grill as a housewarming gift. We had that grill for 15 years.

My daughter has just purchased her first home. She saved £100,000 towards a deposit, I gave her £200,000 and she has a mortgage of £150,000. I will do the same for my son, as soon as he has saved a sensible amount towards a deposit.

My parents gave me a cottage when I was in my teens and I later inherited the family home, which will pass to my children when I die.

It's complicated. DH and I didn't get any help with purchasing our first house. But DH's mother gave us a wedding gift of $5000 around the same time. We bought the house about 3 months after marrying. We used the gift to help to pay for some DIY projects on the house.

Current house, we used an inheritance from DH's long dead grandmother as part of the down payment.

The only thing I recall is they offered to buy the washer and dryer for the house, but not cash towards the house.

My parents loaned us $3000 for our first house. We paid it back later.

We just gave my son $13,000 toward his down payment. We'll do similar for my daughters. I have a terminal illness and received an early disbursement on my life insurance. That is where the money came from for the down payment and will fund it for my daughters. I consider it part of their inheritance from me.

I am curious. Do Americans not normally help their children to purchase their first homes? I think it is quite common in the U.K./Europe for parents to help children get on the property ladder, if the funds are available obviously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter