How much extra money?

I think a lot of it depends on if this will be your first visit. I think for people going to Disney for the first time, it's easy to get caught up in the whole "I have to buy everything I like because I may never come back" way of thinking. But for folks on their second, third or tenth trips, they've already been there and done that, and thus might only be looking for a few specific items. I could be way off base, but I think there's a huge difference between what a "first timer" will spend on souvenirs and what a "repeat visitor" will spend.

We are repeat visitors. My upcoming trip will be my 11th as an adult. I still spend a small fortune each trip. I'm not one for useless souvenirs though. The kidlet (DD5) gets toys that she will eventually grow out of but they are played with. I get a new hoodie each trip that I wear all the time. My one from 2011 just wore a hole in it and I almost cried. It's my favorite most comfortable hoodie I own! DH uses his rain coat regularly. Bought DD a hoodie there last summer that she used all winter (they don't get too cold down here in Florida) and will use again this fall since she didn't grow much and I bought it big.

I'm already spending in my head for the next trip. DH wants a new hat. I want a new hoodie. I want to do the pick a pearl with DD and plan to buy her a piece of jewelry while there. I know I can do it cheaper at home but the experience is not the same. I also plan to buy DD a character autograph book. I am sure DD will want a new lovey. They are her most prized possessions. And I am sure we will see things that we want too.

We just got back from our first trip a few weeks ago and are still unpacking our "treasures". It's good to hear that we'll still be treasure hunting for years to come!

I am bringing $400 for extras and souvenirs on my two week trip with my three year old. I'm not into buying a bunch of things we will never use, so the majority of this money is going to be devoted to experiences such as taking the sea raycers out and a pony ride at Fort Wilderness.

Normally I bring about $200-$400. I usually end up getting a tshirt (or 3) and pins (lots and lots of pins, it's a habit). I always come back with extra money, but it's nice to not have to worry if I see that one item I absolutely cannot live without.

This is so hard to give direct answer. So here are a few thoughts.

It really depends on what you think it appropriate and what you can afford. I am assuming that you are on the DDP.. so entitlements are 1 Counter service and 1 sit down meal, 1 snack per person per day. Even when our kids where little, we did breakfast in the room. Even if we where doing a character breakfast. They would grab a bowl of cereal, or something. They both needed to get something into them, while we were getting them and ourselves ready for the day. For us it made the day start out on the right foot. We also took a case of water, other drinks and snacks for the room and pool side. You can order from garden grocer and have delivered to your resort. So I would budget for extra drinks and food... oh yeah, don't forget to add in for adult beverages and don't forget the tips. To get the most out of your dinning plan, take some time and check out the menus, there are meals you can share easily to make your entitlements go further.

As far as souvenir's go.. This is completely open for a lot of discussion. So when our DD's were little they got to pick out a stuffed animal or princess doll, one or two. Then t-shirts / hoodie, ears, and a toy of some type. As they got older, we would give them a Disney GC to spend on whatever, but we still got them a shirt / hoodie and hat if they wanted it. For us DH and I collect Mickey and Minnie figures, Christmas ornaments, picture frames, and sometimes we will buy a shirt or socks. I also have a couple of Dooney and Burke Disney purses.

Budget for Airport food, or if your driving food & gas to and from. Also take into consideration, if there was a delay getting back home, meaning you if you needed a hotel room, food and such for another day, or someone get sick.

We go 2x a year. We just aren't that into souvenirs after most of it has landed in my yard sale pile over the years. I'd rather save my money and come back more often or do some special experiences while on vacation!

We usually spend about $50 on each kid, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on what they see. We just got back a few weeks ago, and here is our list:

Me:
$9 Earrings (not Disney but they were really cute in the Expedition Everest shop)
$5 Mug (souvenir mug at DHS cart. Great deal and I use them to take coffee to work. Get one almost every trip!)

DH:
$14 Plush Angry Guy from Inside out- He doesn't usually get something but saw this and wanted for desk at work

DS9:
$20 Disney World Baseball Cap
$35 Sorcerors of the Magic Kingdom Binder (he got really into playing this year)

DS2:
$14 2 Pack of Die Cast CARS
$10 Star Wars Disney Racers Car
$16 Stuffed Snow Leopard (he loves cats and it was cute)

We don't really do mugs, tshirts, etc anymore. The quality is crappy and the woman's stuff doesn't fit me (and I am a normal size 12). We can get nice Disney stuff at any department store now for a quarter of the cost if they do want Disney clothes. Sometimes I buy a collectible, houseware or art piece and then our souvenir budget is a lot more....but it is more of an if I see something I love and not that I force myself to buy something every trip. But we go a lot so our needs are a lot different.

We have decided ahead of time that we will get everyone Mickey ears and a pin and maybe an autograph book, so we've budgeted for that. And we are letting the two big boys earn "Mickey Money" that I'll probably cap at $100 each. They can spend it on toys or games or extra snacks. They're both up to around $50 right now. I'm buying $25-$50 gift cards here and there for them and write their names on them. I'm also already collecting $1 bills and putting them in an envelope for Mousekeeping.

We eat on the deluxe dining plan and therefore don't really have extra food costs other than tips which we use the menus to ballpark and budget. For 5 of us -- two adults, a teen and two kids for 10 nights I am budgeting $650 for tips -- which should allow me to tip 18-20%.

I also have $100 budgeted to tip housekeeping -- $5 per room per day. We are staying in two rooms in a moderate and will have a car so we shouldn't really have a need for bell services so that is the only tipping I anticipate.

We have $300 budgeted for parking and food at Universal for two days (lunch and snacks only)

And we will give each of the kids $100 to spend as they wish. That will cover any souvenirs, extra snacks, etc that they want. If they spend it all the first day, they won't be able to buy anything for the rest of the trip. (This happened on the last trip and I now have a child who has been waiting 3 years for a Harry Potter wand). If they don't spend it they can keep it. (My now 16 year old asked, on one of the last days of the trip we took when she was 9, what happens if I don't spend all of the money? Do I get to keep it? Or do I just not get it at all? We decided that she should get to keep it and not be pressured to buy things just for the sake of buying them.

On previous trips we have set the souvenir budget at $50 per kid and that worked just fine. It is at $100 this trip primarily because I am empathetic toward the child who has been waiting 3 years for the Harry Potter wand. This way he'll still have some fun $$ after the wand is purchased.

We don't drink a lot, and won't really drink significantly more than we do at home. Alcohol and souvenirs for ourselves will come out of the discretionary spending that is already a part of our normal monthly budget. I anticipate that we will spend less than $200 on these.

I'd say $50-75 per child. That's enough for a shirt and toy or other special item. I plan to buy a Christmas ornament (or three) and maybe a shirt. DH will probably buy a shirt as well.

WOW - I feel like I am really in the minority here, we typically bring about $1500 in spending money and another $500 for food and we are on the meal plan. We don't always spend all of it but I don't want to be on vacation counting each penny. My plan in Disney is to thoroughly enjoy myself so if that means a massage or my wife wants a facial, we do it. My son is 15 and has a job so he brings his own money but we do buy most of the items. This is our one time per year to relax and let go.

As they say, you can't take it with you so I plan to spend it before I die.

I do have to admit that I like having money left over at the end of vacation so maybe we could bring a little less but why sweat it.
We plan on 1600.00. But we are there for 17 days. Two of those days I need to pay for food so that will be about 250.00. My kids each will have 200-250 and that don't go far. One dd collects vinylmations and the other is into tsum's. Plus they will probably both want a lego set. My oldest wants a customized phone case so that is 45.00 or so. I might get a new dooney if I can find one I like. Last year I bought 2 Vera Bradley's. This is the one time of year we all go a bit nuts. Plus I do some Christmas shopping while we are there.

We are on the QSDP and will pay for via Napoli and CP and use our extra credits on check out day. We have to check back in to a RO for Friday and Saturday. We have a TS meals scheduled for Saturday.
We don't go thew all of it. Sometimes not even close.

Last edited:
We put our money on experiences and drinks... The kids can choose only one souvenir each plus an autograph book and unlimited press pennies.

They are happy this way. We have been going every year since 3 years. This summer will be be our fourth trip as a family and the only souvenir the kids still use are their autograph book.

Taking a look at the pricetags is a great way to deter spending on merchandise. Like many posters, we usually take more than we need and spend much less. I recall many-a-trip where we've taking hundreds in cash and come home with most of it. My oldest dd splurged last year on a backpack and a bunch of country pins..which was worth it because she does appreciate stuff. I bought a hooded sweater at MK for $50 about 5 years ago because I was literally freezing. But,I wear it to this day..lol..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter