How much time to drive to Dana Point for 8 AM whale watching cruise?

sarahk0204

DIS Veteran
We are staying at the DLR in June, and we are planning on doing a dolphin/whale cruise that leaves on a Wednesday at 8:00 AM. I know how much time Google says the trip from the DLR to Dana Point is, but I don't know how traffic on a weekday figures in. If we don't allow enough time, we will literally miss the boat, :lmao:so I appreciate any advice. TIA!

I would double the Google time and then add 30 minutes. Personally, I'd rather arrive way
too early than sit in traffic worrying I'll miss the boat.

Yes, exactly.

I also found out today that one can put a departure day and time in Google maps, and they will give you a "with traffic" time range. It is about twice the "no traffic" time, and the whale watching web site recommends arriving 45 minutes before boat departure time. That puts us leaving by 6:15 or so. Good thing we can bring snacks on the boat, as we will need several breakfasts (like hobbits ::yes:: ) that day.

So, quadruple the Google "without traffic" time? The "with traffic" estimate pretty much doubles the "without traffic estimate", taking slightly less time leaving at 6:00 AM vs leaving at 6:20 AM. And is going from the DLR to Dana Point in the morning with morning commutes? Against morning commutes? Doesn't matter because the traffic is awful that time of day anyway?

Its mostly against traffic, but I would do about 6, and get something to eat down there. The Harbor is fantastic in the morning. Bring jackets, it does get cold out at sea

Is it out of daveys locker? Parking is awful down there and you'll want to give yourself plenty of time, plus most whale watching trips want you to check in at least 30 mins before departure. Give yourself lots of time, the trip requires a fair amount of side streets and parking is no fun. You'll for sure see dolphins but whales are spotty at that time of year. Good luck!

Actually Captain Dave's out of Dana Point. Davey's Locker is out of Newport Beach. (Just to add to the confusion! Davey's Locker is closer, but Captain Dave's won out for us.) The last part of the driving trip is winding through the park, but it looks like there is parking at the end. We will see. They suggest arriving 45 minutes before, so we will shoot for that. We will be happy to see whatever nature there is to be seen. :) Coming from the Midwest, it's all good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter