How much tip to give for highlighting hair?

leahgoogle

DIS Veteran
My teenage daughter is getting her hair highlighted for her birthday. We are using our family stylist. The price will be $125. I am very familiar with tipping for hair cuts and styling, but have never had any highlighting done professionally. How much would be an acceptable tip?

20% , I also have been known to bring starbucks to my stylist... which she just loves...

I tip just over 20%. $40 on a $180 bill. I also give his assistant $20 and I’m there religiously every 6-7 weeks depending on his calendar. I have had to cancel last minute twice in ten years for emergencies. So I also feel like I’m a good dependable customer.

Do you still top 20% if she does it out of her house - her basement not a salon?

I guess I'll be the "jerk" here. If someone is working for themselves (setting their own prices, doing it from their own home), I expect them to charge what they want for the service. They are a business owner. I don't tip the owner.

When I go to a salon (getting hair done by an employee or someone who has to rent their space in the salon), then I tip accordingly. These people tend not to be free to set their own rates, and aren't paid as highly. For highlights, it usually takes a couple hours, and I generally tip about $20-$25 (the service is usually around $100-$125).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter