How often did your parents make the same meal which everyone liked in your home growing up ?

My dad grew up dirt poor and he ate whatever my mom cooked. Unfortunately she was not a good cook. She used very little seasoning and also over cooked everything. I hated meat growing up because of that. I choked down many a meal as a kid and sometimes I couldn’t even swallow her food. The only thing I can remember that she cooked that I liked was porcupine meatballs. Somehow that one was edible. First time my husband grilled us steak I couldn’t believe how good it was. It was tender and juicy and had flavoring. Nothing at all what I had grown up with.

My mother rotated when she cooked.....grocery checker, so hours varied.
I still think about her enchiladas, lasagna, spaghetti sauce and avocado dip............so yummy!!
When dad was in charge of dinner it was usually grilling.
I started doing the cooking when Mom was at work when I got older

Last edited:

Parents? The very thought of my Dad cooking for the family makes me laugh out loud. :laughing: My mom did all the cooking until I was about 12; then I took over a fair amount of it. We were/are both excellent cooks and had the very best farm-grown ingredients in abundance. Nobody ever complained about a meal.

My mom did the cooking, and it didn't matter if you liked it or not; if you didn't want to go to bed hungry, you ate. However, there were rarely things she prepared that we didn't like, and because my dad grew up during the depression, we ate some really strange things: Chicken hearts, gizzards, and livers, tripe, beef liver, lamb kidney- stuff that was cheap and filled stomachs when my dad was a kid, that he really liked (or had learned to). There were a very very few things my mom made that I didn't like, but salt cod in cream sauce over hashed brown potatoes was one of them. My sisters loved it, but it made me gag. I ate it though; that was supper.

Once my parents divorced my sisters and I were expected to cook and we were always expected to eat what was cooked. For my own children once they were old enough to express displeasure at what I cooked they were expected to make themselves an alternative such as a pb&j or cereal.

I was the picky one out of us 4 kids. I didn’t eat fish (still don’t) so she’d have a little something different for me but fish didn’t get cooked too often. Also any meat I liked well done while my sister wanted it barely cooked. Other than that no separate meals. If there was something I really wouldn’t eat I’d slip it to the dog under the table.

All I remember is that we always ate whatever was cooked for us for dinner, nobody ever whined or complained. I was always a picky eater but I still ate it. After my mom passed away, I did most of the cooking for my father and younger siblings. I think I’m a pretty good cook since I started out so young, they were my test kitchen, lol. My kids are also picky, but they do complain, not because the food doesn’t taste good, but because they have differing preferences. One likes this, the other likes that. I’m not catering to anyone but I will try to prepare things they both like as often as possible.

You ate it ir you went hungry and we ate the SAME meals over and over again - there was a reason I was under weight - one my mother was a horrible cook two I hated what we had to eat if we had anything at all - often dinner was eat what you can find as my farther was a seasonal worker - I’m not a picky eater but to this day I HATE chicken as we ate it a lot as a child
As an adult I was NOT running a restaurant - eat what I served or fix a PBJ yourself I’m not catering to everyone - but I Expect you to try something before you declare you don’t like it - one kid did the other was always difficult - DH ate anything and everything never found a food he would not eat

We ate whatever the meal was, and don’t recall anyone ever refusing to eat a meal.

My step dad and I are both picky (I'm a texture person and he only wants meat, potatoes, and bread. He doesn't even like pasta!) my mom was a champ though and could balance a meal that made everyone happy....except on Sundays. Sunday was every man for himself because Mama wanted meatloaf (which, honestly, is a travesty. Have you no taste, woman? lol) which both my step dad and I hated so it was up to us to figure out what we were going to eat. When I was little, she'd just make me mac-n-cheese and he always just ate whatever was leftover from the week.

We mostly ate what she cooked, she didn't cook more than one meal that's for sure. My sister and I loved rice and gravy (chicken, pork chops, beef roast) and spaghetti. My mom is a fabulous cook.

I went thru a phase where I didn't like chili and my mom would make me something else, that was about it. My kids are great eaters and I've never really made different things, there are things each of don't like so I would make those things on nights they weren't there.

Dad did great fried chicken and grilled burgers/steak. He was also really good at breakfast: eggs, sausage, gravy, biscuits, fried apples. Awesome.

My mother was better at casseroles and "ground beef stuff" (meat loaf, spaghetti, chili, sloppy joes and Hamburger Helper--don't judge me, it was the 70s). She was also an awesome baker.

We had a small backyard garden and in summer we'd have all veggies for dinner a couple of times/week: green beans and new potatoes, corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and onions sliced and marinated in a vinegar-and-sugar concoction, cornbread, etc. And sometimes we'd have a junk-type meal (fish sticks, beans and franks, pizza, etc.).

Last edited:
My moms French and a good cook so we ate very well growing up, always something different but my DH’s mom made the same thing for each day of the week. Monday was always meatloaf, Tuesday chicken, weds pork chops, Thursday spaghetti, fri they ate out, sat breakfast dinner and Sunday pot roast. Every year for his entire childhood.He talks about this every time my kids complain that I “always make the same thing” lol

Another one where we ate what was cooked or we didn't eat at all. Both my parents cooked but Mama did almost all the supper cooking. Daddy usually got up earlier to go to work so he would fix breakfast and our lunches. I can tell you after a pot of oatmeal has been sitting for a few hours it's not tasty (this was before microwaves or instant). I also will never eat a peanut butter and honey or syrup sandwich again as long as I live. When I was little I didn't like spaghetti sauce, it might have been the mushrooms since I didn't like those either (love them now), so on spaghetti night I ate noodles and butter and my salad and bread. We always had a salad with every meal and when we had bread there was always butter on the table so I could get my noodles and use the butter on the table. I also hated my Daddy's goulash (I think it was something he made up) so those nights it was just salad and bread for me. I didn't like meatloaf either but thankfully there were usually a couple of veggies on the table with that (and the salad and bread). We also didn't have snacky things in our house, not because my parents cared if we ate in between meals, we were just poor.

Very rarely as my dad was vegetarian and everyone else ate meat
I really don't remember what my mother fixed while I was growing up. I just ate what was on the table and not given choices. But that was a different time and era. You ate what was fixed and that was it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter