How often do you come with 300+ points

I am from the UK and have over 500 points. I go once every 2 years and stay for 3 weeks at a time in 1BR

400 points... We go once a year in January for 8 nights. We are a family of 7 but my oldest never goes (he's 19)

We rent out our extra points. We purchased a large contract so that when we have grandkids we can take the entire family. (I refuse to take my extended family now)

We have 300 points which we bought because we wanted a week in a 2 bedroom at Thanksgiving each year, and that’s what it cost.

We have 350 points, we go once in the spring and once in the fall. Both trips are 6 night stays. Room sizes vary from studio, one bedrooms, two bedrooms and grand villa. We are doing a grand villa this fall. Our spring trip was canceled this year.

I was wondering the same thing. I want to go at least twice a year so was thinking 300 points would accomplish that. I am looking at adding 175 to my 150 and think that will accomplish it for us since our stays are usually 5 days. I don’t want to buy DVC then take less trips. Also, I just don’t know exactly how to calculate the trips because the lowest point rooms are mostly taken, so it’s been said. I feel like I need to plan on 1 bedroom trips.

I was wondering the same thing. I want to go at least twice a year so was thinking 300 points would accomplish that. I am looking at adding 175 to my 150 and think that will accomplish it for us since our stays are usually 5 days. I don’t want to buy DVC then take less trips. Also, I just don’t know exactly how to calculate the trips because the lowest point rooms are mostly taken, so it’s been said. I feel like I need to plan on 1 bedroom trips.

1BR are certainly more available because they’re often a terrible point value. I say this as someone who will if I can book a 1BR rather than a Studio because I like having the jetted tub, the kitchen, and the extra living space.

For example, in a trip I’m planning for my extended family in Feb 2021 at BRV, I debated upgrading a studio to a 1BR. But for the 5 days, I’m planning, a studio was 86 points. Two studios are 172 points. A 1BR is 181 points! It’s more than the cost of two studios!

FWIW, we are exceptionally happy booking 1BR units. Get over this math hurdle and life is very good: lovely space, easier to book!

1BR are certainly more available because they’re often a terrible point value. I say this as someone who will if I can book a 1BR rather than a Studio because I like having the jetted tub, the kitchen, and the extra living space.

For example, in a trip I’m planning for my extended family in Feb 2021 at BRV, I debated upgrading a studio to a 1BR. But for the 5 days, I’m planning, a studio was 86 points. Two studios are 172 points. A 1BR is 181 points! It’s more than the cost of two studios!

That’s a big difference, but I like those amenities too! If it were just my family of 5 I would go for the 1 BR. But with extended family I would choose two studios. I like my family but I don’t want to be in the same room as them haha but if you’re letting them tag along on your points you’re nicer than I am ha ha maybe I’ll relax when I actually have points 😬

I feel like I don’t want to head into this year without enough points to cover our trips, and I don’t want to use all my BWV points for my December trip because I know I won’t be at BWV. It seems like it would be a waste of my 11 month window, if that makes any sense.

We’ve done a 1 bedroom at beach club, paying cash and I don’t remember it having a kitchen but I probably didn’t care because we were also CL. I suppose there could have been a kitchen we didn’t use. It was small though, it was the one right on the corner end by Epcot.

FWIW, we are exceptionally happy booking 1BR units. Get over this math hurdle and life is very good: lovely space, easier to book!

Our last two trips were off property in a 2BR or 3 BR unit at Wyndham and so that kind of spoiled the kids-and us. The privacy and kitchen are great, and there are 5 of us so I think some of the studios are already not an option. My youngest is only 3 but I don’t think that follows the “rules.”

ETA:only spoiled us for space, I miss being on property so much

Last edited:
I'm at 440 points, and I tend to spread out into multiple shorter trips per year. Living in South Florida, I'm a 3 hour drive away, which makes short frequent trips easier. My home resort is Boardwalk, but I will often stay at cheaper resorts, and also often travel during the cheaper point seasons, which allows me to maximize what I can get with the points. Plus, my stays are split between 1-bedroom villas when I come with family or friends, or studios sometimes when I come solo - only every once in a while would I get a 2-bedroom. Typically, I can come 5 times a year, for 4-5 days each trip...with 3 in a 1-bedroom villa and 2 in a studio...often with some points still left to bank. This past use-year, I used up all my points as I stayed 4 times in a 1-bedroom villa, and traveled twice during more expensive point seasons, to accommodate family or friends.

I'm at 440 points, and I tend to spread out into multiple shorter trips per year. Living in South Florida, I'm a 3 hour drive away, which makes short frequent trips easier. My home resort is Boardwalk, but I will often stay at cheaper resorts, and also often travel during the cheaper point seasons, which allows me to maximize what I can get with the points. Plus, my stays are split between 1-bedroom villas when I come with family or friends, or studios sometimes when I come solo - only every once in a while would I get a 2-bedroom. Typically, I can come 5 times a year, for 4-5 days each trip...with 3 in a 1-bedroom villa and 2 in a studio...often with some points still left to bank. This past use-year, I used up all my points as I stayed 4 times in a 1-bedroom villa, and traveled twice during more expensive point seasons, to accommodate family or friends.

This is great info! Thanks 😀

That’s a big difference, but I like those amenities too! If it were just my family of 5 I would go for the 1 BR. But with extended family I would choose two studios. I like my family but I don’t want to be in the same room as them haha but if you’re letting them tag along on your points you’re nicer than I am ha ha maybe I’ll relax when I actually have points
I am letting them tag along on my points. :)

The Studio is my room. I put the rest of my extended family in 2 2-BRs (9 in one, 8 in the other), but my husband and I were thinking we don't want me and our two teenage boys to be squeezed into a single studio, and I really want the jetted tub. But upgrading to 1 BR is so many points. We've waitlisted a second studio, but I'm now debating moving some other plans around to free up points to get us into a 2 BR for us. The 2 BR is 235 points for those 5 nights, so yes 54 points more than the 1 BR, and 62 points more than 2 studios, but would give our family more space, a full kitchen, and a hot tub.

We couldn't imagine not having a kitchen. Our youngest has a genetic disorder that requires STRICT dietary guidelines... and with 6 people it is MUCH cheaper to grocery shop/ cook than eat at Disney. I don't think I could ever book a studio.

We got 3-4 times a year- 6-7 nights in at minimum a 1 BR - we have APs and we live close enough to drive so it’s not big deal to get there.
Edit to add that most trips are just myself and husband - if we take family and friends with us - we’ll get a 2BR or even multiple rooms -

I also live about a 3 hour drive away. Do you ever book on short notice, or do you always book 7-11 months out? Because we live so close, I often plan trips 30-90 days out or even less and I’ve wondered if it would be impossible to get DVC rooms at all. I’ve considered getting extra SAP just for this purpose, but if there is never availability that close, it would be a waste of money.

We have 725 Pts and we get annual passes every other year. On the years we have passes we go once a month for long weekends in various size rooms based on if we invite friends to join us. We are a family of 5 so it depends on the resort if we fit into a studio or not. We have 5 home resorts including VGF. We go there every 2 to 3 years and use those points exclusively for Disneyland trips. We will usually borrow an extra 4-500 Pts into the use year we have Disney passes and go a couple times for a weekend in the year we don’t. We are just a 3 1/2 hr drive from WDW.

I also live about a 3 hour drive away. Do you ever book on short notice, or do you always book 7-11 months out? Because we live so close, I often plan trips 30-90 days out or even less and I’ve wondered if it would be impossible to get DVC rooms at all. I’ve considered getting extra SAP just for this purpose, but if there is never availability that close, it would be a waste of money.
I live about three hours away and book my trips at 11 months out and see what I can change to at seven months out. For mid-Sept through mid-Jan, you won't find much 30-90 days out. Same with RunDisney events. Early May isn't too hard to get at seven months out. Summer, who goes in summer?

IMO, you will be frustrated more often than not if you only book 30-90 days out. See for yourself by following this "snapshot of availability" at 60 days. It's updated every week by DVC and you do not need to be a member to see it.

Resort Availability: Stays in the Next 60 Days

Of course, the closures and situation due to COVID-19 has changed everything for at least the near future. You can safely ignore whatever it says re June openings. Traditionally, there has been only very limited availability for studios (often none) and sometimes a few 1 Bedrooms at SSR. Usually, there are only Poly bungalows available or rooms at Aulani.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter