How old were your kids when you stopped using strollers?

jtryan

Mouseketeer
For our upcoming WDW trip in December, we are trying to decide whether or not our DDs age 7 1/2 and one month short of 6 will need strollers. We don't want to pay to rent everyday but also don't want to transport and push strollers around needlessly. How old were your kids when they stopped needing a stroller?

Thanks for any input!

roxanne

When our DD was 4 and DS was 9 we had a double stroller and both kids used it. Of course the 9 year old started off being embarrased, but when he was tired of walking he was thankful for the stroller. He also isn't very tall and fit quite nicely with his sister in the stroller.

We just returned from WDW yesterday and my boys are 3 and 5...and believe it or not...we didn't use any strollers. I saw a whole lot of people using them but didn't feel like paying for one unless I really needed it. The boys held up pretty well...they were so excited to get onto the next thing that walking really wasn't that big of an issue. One day though, we did go back to the resort and let them nap because they were complaining of being tired.

I stopped using the stroller when my children were 4 and 6. I actually found it was more enjoyable to just walk with them and not worry about stroller parking and rental. If they were tired we just sat on a bench and rested.

We rented one several years ago when my son was 5 and we used it very little. Last year my DD was 5 and she wouldn't use it. She did pretty well without it.

I think it depends on the kid. My neice did fine at 4 1/2 without a stroller. We are goingin 2 weeks with my DS who will be 4 1/2 and there is no way Im not taking our sit/stand carriage for him and his younger brother. I wish I could just take a stroller for my youngest, but I know my 4 1/2 yo would complain us all to death after the first 5 minutes of walking. :rolleyes:

My DD was 6 yo during out last trip and we ended up renting a stroller for her. It was 'sheer torture' ;) for her to watch her younger brother (2 yo) be pushed around in a stroller while she had to walk. We rented one just to get her to stop whining, but since we were already pushing one around, two didn't make that much of a difference, and we found the whole arrangement to be pretty convenient. Whenever she wasn't using it we had a great place for the backpack, water bottle etc.

She's 7 now and we'll probably stick with the same plan - bring our stroller for her younger brother and rent one only if she *really* feels she needs it. Since our commando-park-touring days are over I'm betting she won't need one at all. :)

We used one last summer when my daughter was 1 wk shy of turning 6. It was worth it for us! Neither my husband or myself wanted to get stuck carrying her around when she got tired. She fell asleep a couple of times and we were able to keep going. Next spring when we go she will be 7 and we're going to take one to definitely use at Epcot. My philosophy is that it costs nothing for me to take it and if we don't use it, that's okay.

My DD just turned 5 during our last trip and we brought ours. I did not want to carry a tired 5 yo to the (then)Dixie Landings bus stop each night! It worked out well because even though she is filled with energy, she does get tired during the day and it gave her a break from walking.

I think it depends on your child or children. Mine is a perpetual motion machine but will have a low period of about a half hour or so each day where the stroller came in handy. It was truly handy at the end of the night trying to leave a park when it's so crowded and it's past normal bedtime. I know standing in line was also a bit of a drag on her system so being able to sit for a few minutes while moving onto the next place we wanted to see was nice for her.

We will be going on a last minute surprise trip in November (SHHHHH! she doesn't know about it yet) and I will take it again.

We first took DD to WDW at 2 1/2 yrs old. We took along a baggage cart- I mean stroller. She wouldn't ride in it. We ended up just filling it with stuff all the time. This year, at 3 1/2, we didn't bother. I had to carry her on my shoulders sometimes, but I figured it was good exercise to burn off some of those meals we'd been having.

Does anyone know if they still have the wide stroller at MK. I have two dd's that will be 3 and 7. One weight about 50 lb and the other one about 34 pounds. Could we put both DD's into one of the wide stroller at MK. I am bring a extra stroller for the 3 year old just in case we need to split up.

She was sitting in it w/ a young child sprawled on her lap, with her husband pushing it.
The child was asleep, the mom looked like she was feeling a bit ill. Anyway, the two of
them fit in there just fine.

My 4 yo DS is a stroller-sleeper, so we would not dream of not taking a reclining stroller.
This Sunday, he begged to go to Epcot again after lunch, but fell asleep just as we parked
the car. Dad and I strolled over to the pastry shop in France, got some messy goodies, then
sat watching the British Invasion while we ate them in peace. DS woke up not long after we
carried him into "O, Canada" (He opened his eyes to find himself surrounded by Mounties;
the look on his face was priceless!)

When he's too big for the Maclaren, we are going to rent a jogging stroller from an offsite
vendor, so we will have it outside the parks. My guess is that we'll need a stroller at least
some of the time until he's about 7.

The last time I used a stroller anywhere was at Epcot when DS was 4. He felt like a baby (seeing all of the toddlers) and never wanted to ride in one again.

to skeezixspud:

That is funny. I guess my children will fix just fine. It's just the stop touching me problem between children is why I am bring the extra stroller and if we need to split up. I know my little one is limited because of her height and the older one will want to ride the big rides.
Thanks for the info.

We have a "4 Year Old Rule" in our house. Once the kids turn 4 (they're 4 & 6 now), they're no longer allowed to ride in a stroller. I make sure both my kids get lots of exercise year round, so they're well prepared for walking throughout Disney World on our frequent trips. We let them know that strollers are for babies (not big kids) and if they're too tired to walk they must go back to the hotel for a rest. My little one still complains occassionally, but my 6 year old has never once complained about having to walk. It makes the trips so much easier for us if we don't have to worry about lugging a stroller aound and navigating it through the parks. It's like a new found freedom now that both are kids are out of the stroller! LOL!

If your kids are 6 & 7 1/2 and you want to avoid the hassle of a stroller, I suggest beginning a family exercise program. Several nights a week, have everyone walk around the neighborhood and add a little distance each week. By the time December rolls around, they'll be used to walking and should be just fine without a stroller.

Thank for all of the input. DH and I have come to the conclusion that we will not be bringing the strollers and see how it goes. The more we talk to the girls about it, the more they think it would be a "baby" thing to be in a stroller. I know the 7 year old will be no problem it is the 5 almost 6 year old who is the lazier of the 2 and unfortunately the larger of the 2. If we need to, we will just rent.

roxanne

my boys were both just shy of 5 when I stopped. We just returned from Disney on 10/2 and my 6 year old complained that he thought some of the stroller drivers were a tad reckless..as he had gotten ran over a couple of times (poor fella..lol).

Its SO much easier without having to deal with that on rides and the parks..etc. We just go until one of the boys says "I need a break"...we grab a drink and a bench and people watch for 10 minutes or so....works great and mom gets a break also! :)

I have no regrets about ditching my stroller :) less stress....

Esmeralda,

Thanks for the input! The more I think about it, the more I know we will save time just in not having to track down our stroller when we get off of a ride or out from a show. We have talked to the girls and told them both if they feel the need for a break, we can just rest on a bench or go back to the room.

roxanne

Jtryan, about 3-4 weeks before your trip, check boths girls' shoes to make sure they fit well (you know how quickly they outgrow shoes at this age). Also make sure the shoes have plenty of "spring" left in the soles. Nothing can be worse than walking around on "flat tires" all day. If they do need new shoes, this is plenty of time to break them in. There is no better way to break them in than taking practice walks around the neighborhood. Whenever I am out walking with my DS and he begins to complain that he is tired I tell him (teasingly) that he's not ready for Disney yet. With this new perspective, the complaining stops right away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter