How old were your kids when you stopped using strollers?

I guess it really depends on the kid. My daughter has been out of the stroller since she was 4 but my son who is 5 still rides. not by choice though, he is a wanderer.

My DD stopped using her stoller for all occasions @ 3 1/2 yrs
she likes to walk and is very well behaved..but I did not expect her to handle all the walking that disney involves. She was 5 during our last trip and we used it everyday! what a life saver..she was happy..we were happy..we got to stroll in epcot while she slept! it was great!

once back we have never once opened it..but we will be brining it to disney on our next trip ( she would have just turned 6). Maybe we'll leave it when she is 7..but for now we are pro-stroller :)

My daughter was 4 1/2 last time we brought a stroller. This trip she was 7 and we kept teasing her when she was tired. Her brothers kept saying "Do you want a stroller, huh, huh" I ended up carrying her on my back a few times, but for the most part she kept up. We were commandos too, the last day we did three parks and spent 14 hours in the parks.

Both of my boys gave up their strollers by the time they turned 2 around home. I sold their's at a yard sale years ago. BUT, when we go to WDW they both *ask* for strollers. They just turned 5 and 7 in September. On our January trip, my older DS tried to give me that, "I'm not going to ride in a stroller, because I'm too old" routine. OK, so no stroller for him. Before we had even gotten started out well, he was trying to push his way into the stroller with my younger DS. So, we tried the doubles, but found that it was much easier for DH to push one and me to push another. Now they only argue about which one will get pushed by Mom and which one by Dad... :rolleyes:
I love the strollers. The kids get to conserve their energy, and so are better behaved. I guess they see it as a special Disney treat too, because they never get to stroll at home. I admit that I am a fast walker, however. Even when I'm not in any particular hurry, most everyone claims that I just walk too fast for them. It has nothing to do with WDW. With the strollers, I only have to slow down and wait for DH and his stroller buddy. ;)

When the youngest was about 5, we started getting a wheelchair instead of bringing a stroller. During the day, we put our coats and stuff on it. At night, the kids are tired, since we go from sunup to sundown. It's usually colder, so we wear our coats, and the wheelchair holds 2 small kids. It makes it a lot faster to get from one place to another, ESpecially at Epcot. BTW, we DO NOT use the wheelchair to gain advantages in lines or seating.

Please don't rent a wheelchair unless one is needed for mobility problems.
Safari Steve (a MK CM who posts a lot here) has posted that WDW has strollers that will hold up to a small 12 year old. So there is no reason for anyone to rent a wheelchair for a child who doesn't need one. The park wheelchairs are adult sized, so a child who has a mobility problem would be better off renting a wheelchair from an off site company.
The number of wheelchairs to rent at the parks is limited. Some people who need one have posted that there were none left when they went to rent one. Please don't rent a wheelchair when you really need a stroller (and lockers are available in each park for coats).
Also, in most cases, wheelchair and ecv users wait in the same line (Mainstream lines) with everyone else, and the "special seating" in shows is usually in the very back row.

Based on experiences with my own two kids, I would use strollers for kids up to 8yrs. old. The parks are tiring for the little ones and it's frustrating when they're ready to go back to the resort, 2 hours after getting to the park. :)

dd was 7.5 years old for April 2001 trip and we rented her a stroller everyday. It's a bargain I think because we got HOURS AND HOURS more Disney fun at the parks with her riding around. She's a tall kid too and still fit fine in the stroller. Next trip she will be almost 8.5 years old and I just asked her if she wants a stroller again, she said YEPPERS! In April 2001 she was about 58 lbs. and 50 inches tall. Now she is 60 lbs and abotu 52 inches tall. ds will be 2.5 years old for next trip, we will bring his stroller.

Wouldn't it be nice if Disney used wagons? My kids will be 6 and 4 at our next trip. DD should be able to go with out a stroller but still likes to climb in. DS not sure when he will get out he loves his stroller.
The wagons would be great. People wouldn't complain as much about the size of a kid being in a stroller. Sure we would still hear complaints about run overs.....
Many parks now offer wagons. Who knows maybe in the future

Here's a funny story about a child too big for a stroller. When my middle child was about 6 or so she was too big for the stroller but was exhausted by the middle of the day. I got the bright idea to rent a wheelchair for the rest of the day so she would stop whining. As we would approach each ride the CM's would go out of their way to signal to us to come to the front and use the handicap access and the crowds would part for the little girl in the wheelchair. Then my dtr. would happily jump out and try to run to the front of the line. I would always explain that she was only using the wheelchair because she was so tired, but I didn't rent one again because it was so embarrassing when she would jump out of the chair and run to a ride ( much to the amazement of those watching). I gained a new understanding of those who must use a wheelchair to get around and how hard it is to get to some places. I just made them walk after that or offered to go to our room for the dreaded "NAP".

Ellyn2000, I'm glad you learned from your day with a wheelchair that it isn't all roses on the other side. I just want to give a little better glimpse of the other side.
When we first started going to WDW with a child in a wheelchair in 1988, it was common to get the "royal treatment", whether you wanted it or not. When we got to the boarding area, we often had to wait longer because there are limits on how many people with disabilities could be on the ride at one time. Often we waited longer than people without wheelchairs. People didn't see that. They only saw that we were in line with them and then we weren't. We were just happy to have a place where our DD and her wheelchair were welcome. The "royal treatment" was not to benefit people with wheelchairs; it was because there were turnstiles or stairs along the regular path (as my DD likes to hear, wheelchairs don't do stairs). Often, the reason for a wheelchair access for a ride was that the boarding and exit were far apart, so wheelchair or ecv users had to board at the exit to have their mobility device waiting for them.

About 6 years ago (give or take), all of a sudden, WDW started switching to "Mainstream Access". Anyone with a wheelchair had to wait in the same lines with everyone else. Lines were modified to get rid of turnstiles or put the wheelchair entrance closer to the turnstile. We were told one of the big reasons for the change was the number of people who were trying to get special treatment when they had no need for a wheelchair. The CMs who talked to us said they realized that "special treatment" didn't usually translate into a shorter wait, but since people thought that it did, the solution was to not give special treatment to anyone with a wheelchair. They have modified that somewhat; a guest with special needs can go to Guest Services to plead their case, but special treatment still means using FastPass as much as possible and possibly waiting somewhere other than in line.
Waiting in line with a wheelchair isn't easy. An average wheelchair needs 5 feet to turn. When we get to a corner, we try to space ourselves so we don't hit anyone. Someone sees the "extra" space and they move their family into it. All of a sudden, we have another 10 people ahead of us. Sometimes thay are sorry, they didn't know we were planning on using that space. Some of them won't let us get back into line and (the not nice ones) let us know that they resent the "special treatment" that we receive. Some of the rides have ramps up or down on part of the queue. it's really hard to keep a wheelchair from rolling backward or forward on a ramp. We are experienced wheelchair drivers, so we don't usually hit anyone, but people walk into the wheelchair, trip over the footrests and I have had to stop quite a few kids who were grabbing onto the spokes of the wheelchair tires. Being in line with everyone else is a constant state of alertness for us. Besides the wheelchair hassles, DD also has other issues with attention and she will hit or pinch people who she feels are getting too close (impulse control issues).
When we get to the boarding area, if it's a ride where the wheelchair can go on, we always have to wait for the wheelchair car for at least one ride cycle; more if other people are waiting for that car. Our record for longest wait is the Safari at AK, where we waited for 40 minutes for a ride that had a 10 minute posted wait (but people were basically walking on as fast as they could go). At Buzz Lightyear, there are usually several people waiting and we usually see people who were just ahead of us in line exiting as we wait at the exit to board.
For rides where DD has to get out of her wheelchair, we have to lift a 5 foot tall, 85 pound person on and off the ride car. Sometimes the doorway is tight or there is a step up or down to get in. There are things we can't do any more because it is too hard to get her on, including most of the rides in Fantasyland (except Pooh and Small World, which have wheelchair cars).
For our DD's full price ticket (no discounts for people with disabilities), we don't get full use of the park, since there are things at each park that she can't physically go on. Each year, there is something else that is our last time, because it's getting too hard to get her on. As she gets bigger, it takes more out of us to get her on rides. Our last trip, we lost a one day because of seizures and had to take it slow a few days because she was too tired to sit up well in her wheelchair. We also have to put up with people who are rude to us just because they think we are getting some special benefit they aren't getting. The only things that make it worthwhile are seeing my DD enjoy herself, the CMs who go out of their way to be nice and the average people who try to be helpful.
Welcome to my world.

Just thought I would update for those also trying to make the "stroller or no stroller" choice. On our recent 12/1 - 12/8 trip to WDW we chose not to bring the stroller(s) and would wait to see if the girls (5 and 7) would ask for one. They never once complained about walking too much, being tired, or wishing they had a stroller. I think the excitement of going from one attraction to the other kept them from realizing exactly how much they were walking. The only time we carried one of them is after 5 yr old tripped on uneven sidewalk in EPCOT parking lot and skinned her knee. She got a piggy-back ride to the car. I know everyones child is different but I just wanted to share our experience. Happy Holidays to all!!

roxanne

I guess my kids are wimps. They are 7 & 9.
The 7yo really needed the stroller(rental). My 9yo jumped into it when her brother wasn't using it. I'll tell you right now, if it was big enought for me I'd use it.

A day at WDW is exausting!

My son quit using one when he was 5 and has never looked back. I have very rarely gotten him to the point where he admitted to being tired because his Mom craters long before he does. ;)

Our daughter was 5--almost 6, and miserable at Epcot in the summer heat. It is such a big place. A few days later, we returned to Epcot and rented a stroller--she was happy; we were happy!:D

It was worth every penny.

Wendy- I was just thinking this morning that I need to begin a walking program to get DH, DSs 4 and 6, and me into shape for our Disney trip in a few months. How far do your kids walk? We walk around our neighborhood, but it is just a mile. Thanks!

Actually, my 2 boys run and play sports. They're both in gymnastics twice a week and play year round soccer, so they're each running laps at their respective practices 4 times a week. My oldest son (6 years old) also jogs a mile or two twice a week. (He also runs laps with his brother's soccer team - just because he enjoys it! :confused: ) We haven't had to do the walking thing in a couple of years, because they stay so active in other sports. We just got back from WDW a couple of weeks ago, and both of them walked around for 10 days with no problems. The first 5 days, we went straight through from opening to closing. The last 5 days we took it a little easier, with a few naps and sleeping late a couple of mornings.

As long as you keep walking several times a week and make sure they stay in shape, they should be able to handle it, IMHO. Try increasing the distance to twice around your neighborhood, if you can. If you don't want to rent a stroller, just let your kids know up front that it is not an option. My 4 year old did get a little tired at the end of the night, but never once asked for a stroller or complained about it. At this point, I don't think it would even occur to him to ask for one. :D My 6 year old wouldn't be caught dead in one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter