How scary is the new Space Mountain?

K

kellymouse

I have been on the old version of Space Mountain in DL and also at DW, but I have not been on the new Space Mountain. I found the old one very scary and have not been on it in a few years because I felt dizzy from the lights and sudden drops and just so scared after last time. How does the new version compare to the old one? I really want to try it this time but I'm nervous it will even be scarier than before!
Also, is there a better place to sit that isn't as scary?

I have always loved SM and never thought it was scary.

As to the "new" SM, to me it was pretty similar. The visuals were a bit better. The ride seemed alot faster and alot smoother. It was also darker. I couldn't see anything at all, as opposed to the old one where I could vaguely see the track. One thing I was surprised about was the fact that it was COLD on the ride! I didn't remember it being so cold before. They've changed the blast off sequence a bit (as far as what's said) and I liked the old version better.

If you were scared of the old one, chances are you'll be scared of this one too. It's pretty similar, but IMO it was a bit more intense.

Mom2micayla said:
I have always loved SM and never thought it was scary.

If you were scared of the old one, chances are you'll be scared of this one too. It's pretty similar, but IMO it was a bit more intense.

That is what I was going to say as well. My 7 year old loves it, my almost 4 year old, not so much.

You could close your eyes through the launch sequence to avoid the dizzy effect but once the ride starts you are subject to intense speed with no idea what will happen next due to inability to see the track. I don't really think there are any big dips, it is mostly curves. I love it, but have always loved it. If it bothered you before it will still bother you now, but there is much much more for you to enjoy at DLR!! :sunny:

There is one small dip but the rest is just turns. I tell people it's like big thunder in the dark. It's really not that bad I thought it was pretty tame. If you didn't like the old version though you probably won't like the new one, apparently it's the same track and more dark then before. I have never been on the old DL version just the one in DW but I don't remember anything about it. It is pretty fast though and it's freezing on the ride (at least to me) which is good when it's hot out!

It was quite thrilling to me, and I am a thrill-seeker...ok, well maybe not, but I love coasters. Of course, it had been over a year since I'd been on a coaster, and with the brain surgery and all...probably more thrilling than I really should have handled...LOL!

It's basically exactly the same as the old SM, kind of felt a little faster (but that might have just been me), and I really missed the cookie and the old soundtrack...

Space Mountain is scary? :confused3 I rode it for the first time when I was six and laughed the whole way through. It's fun, not scary. It's darker inside now, same track configuration, and a lot smoother.

This thread sparked a discussion in our house. We went on Space Mountain in November on our very first trip to DL. We had never been on a ride for over 25 yrs and my 14 yr old dd had never been on a ride in her life. Afterwards my hubby and I joked that we were like lambs to the slaughter because we just followed everyone's advice and just got in every line up we saw. 90% of the rides we had no idea what they were about until we were seated and 1/2 way through the ride. On Space Mountain I was terrified and when I got off and looked at my hubbys face I knew he felt the same way but my dd loved it. Hubby and I just discussed it and would only ride this again if someone waved $1000.00 in front of our face and then we would just shut our eyes through the entire ride because for us it was about the same fear factor as having a colonoscopy or a root canal :scared:
Funny though that my dd sobbed to get off the sun wheel she was so scared she wouldn't speak to me for 1/2 an hour after we got off (my idea to get on).
I also hated the Tower of Terror. I don't remember the ride attendent telling us about the handles to hold on to and I never saw them so when the elevator fell my seatbelt didn't feel tight enough but I was terrified to fumble with it in the dark to try and tighten it in case I inadvertently openned it or undid it so I spent the entire ride terrified that I was going to fly up and out of my seat. Afterwards my hubby and dd told me about the handles which would have made me feel a lot more secure, even so it would take about $1000.00 to get me on that ride again LOL

I hated hated hated Screamin, I thought it was terrifying!! But--I really liked Space Mountain. So did my kids (10 and 7). It is very smooth, and like other posters said, lots of curves. Not lots of dips. I was looking for the track, and you can see it if you look hard enough. The stars effect is very cool. And yes, it is freezing in there!!
DH said the scariest (and funnest apparently!) is the front row. (you sit in twos) Because then you are going right into the dark and stars, and you can't see the people in front of you, so it makes the illusion better.

I would say my order of scariest:

Screamin'
Tower of Terror
Indiana Jones
The Matterhorn
Big Thunder Mountain RR
Space Mountain
Muhulland Madness
Grizzly River Run
Splash Mountain
Then down to all the easy ones!!

I haven't gone on the Sun Wheel or the Maliboomer, so can't count them in!

DS was terrified at Pirates when he was 5! Now he likes it.

iceskatejen said:
Space Mountain is scary? :confused3 I rode it for the first time when I was six and laughed the whole way through. It's fun, not scary. It's darker inside now, same track configuration, and a lot smoother.

I used to ride it when I was younger too and think it was fun, but not anymore. Everyone has their own idea of what is scary and what is fun to them.

I'm not scared of Space Mountain at all. You know what it is that does gives me chills, but in a good way? Those sounds in the queue area, the spacey noises are weird, but I like them! And then more sounds as you round toward the boarding zone, all the machine sounds are cool. The ride itself with all those space images makes me feel like I'm traveling in the cosmos, such awesome special effects. I'm not scared, I'm more amused!

The old SM and the SM track is exactly the same. It is a little darker w/ some cool new enterance and exit effects but other then that it is the same ride.

I just asked my kids (7 and almost 4) what was the scariest rides while they were there. The almost 4 year old says the matterhorn. He does NOT like the snow monster at all (and yes, he rode space mountain and the matterhorn while we were there). My 7 year old said "Mr. Toads wild ride" was the scariest. She thought screamin' and space were both thrilling, not scary. :rotfl2: Aparently Hell is a bit more frightening then hurling thru space. :confused3 :rotfl:

hlbtimes2 said:
:rotfl2: Aparently Hell is a bit more frightening then hurling thru space. :confused3 :rotfl:
::yes:: ::yes:: Smart 7 year old!!!

I just asked my kids what the scariest rides were:
DD10- Tower of Terror
DS7- Indiana Jones

I asked if Space Mountain was scary they both said "No way!" "It is cool!"

On real cold days, I liked going through the Hell part on Mr. Toad's because it was so warm in there. In fact, I wish we could stay in Hell as long as we could. Is that freaky or what? :teeth:

I'm not a thrill ride kind of person. I went on BTMRR, which to me seemed a little more intense than the one at WDW, but not bad, and have been on Splash(don't like big drops, but it's bearable). So I figured I was prepared for Space. I didn't like it. It felt like there was cold air blowing in my face the whole time. Even with my eyes closed it felt like I was going faster than 28 miles an hour. And it felt like there were more drops than one small one, even dh agreed. Now that I've been on it, I would maybe go again, but only if I have too- But then again I'm a big baby!

Jeni

Rides change for some of us over the years... heck, now, at 40 I can get sick on my kids' swingset!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter