How terrifying is Dinosaur?

flyball

Mouseketeer
Just wanted to get opinions about this ride, because my DH keeps trying to convince me and my two DDs that it's really not that bad. My younger daughter is a daredevil, but doesn't like scary images. Experienced riders please give me the low down!

If youre kids arent affraid of the dark, and arent affraid of a dino attacking, it wont be too scary. My problem w/ the ride is its very bumpy. I got bumped hard enough the last time I rode it, I had a bruise about the size of a softball. I bruise fairly easilly though, as I am quite the delicate little princess:

my dd nine hated it didn't like dinos in the dark trying to scare her. she rode everything else at disney.

DD6 liked it. She told me I had to ride it because at the end, you get dinosaur breath on you :D

I tried it the last time we were at WDW. I am a ride wimp ( I dont like roller coasters and stuff). It is a very dark ride and the dinosaurs "jump"out at you. I thought it was too bumpy though, I would not do it again. I get motion sickness easily so by the end I had had enough. I have a sensitive stomach too and if you dont, then you may like it. If it didnt bounce around SO much it wouldnt be too bad. That is just my personal experience with it..you may enjoy it. Good luck!

:wave:

The only thing I didn't like about the ride was the flashing strobe lights at the beginning of the ride. I noticed that most kids going on the ride were really excited ... compared to other kids who had to be dragged kicking and screaming onto the Haunted Mansion. I always thought that the dinosaurs would be more scary than ghosts ... but then again I haven't been a kid for a loooooong time :sunny:

It's very bumpy and loud!!! When my dd was 8, we told her she could just close her eyes if she didn't like it. Well, she did and it was still a nightmare. She couldn't cover her eyes and her ears at the same time. She is very noise sensitive so that was the big issue for her. It has to be the loudest attraction in WDW!!!

I don't think bumpy quite covers it. Try jars you to death!!! I love thrill rides, but I hated this ride because I felt like I was just being jerked all over the car. It reminded me of someone riding a mechanical bull. I didn't think the scenes were scary at all, but half way through it, I wasn't paying attention to anything anymore and was just trying to hold on and hope I didn't get shaken out. They don't strap you in very well - just a fabric seat-belt like thing if I remember correctly because I worried about little kids on it.

I agree with the others. This ride is BUMPY and the strobe light makes you very disoriented. I couldn't tell you for the life of me what exactly I saw because I was concentrating on staying in my seat and the strobe really bothered my eyes.

My DH and I love Dinosaur! But I agree, it is very bumpy. I imagine it would be worse on the kids. I can also see how it could scare a young child. You are in the dark a lot and dinosaurs (that look and sound real, btw) jump out at you. It can be a realistically scary experience for children. That is my opinion anyway.

MY NEPHEW WAS 8 WENT WE WENT ON DINOSAUR & IT SCARED THE "BREATH" OUT OF HIM. HE IS NOT EASILY FRIGHTENED EITHER. HE WAS TERRORIZED BY IT...AND WILL NEVER GO ON IT AGAIN.
IT IS MORE INTENSE THEN ALIEN ENCOUNTER WAS.
IF YOU CHILDREN ARE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST SCARED OF THE DARK....STAY AWAY FROM THIS.

:mad:

This ride scares me and I'm 31 and know that the dinosaurs are not real. My DD6 was absolutely terrified of it. It is VERY dark and loud. I would say that if your daughter doesn't like scary images, this might not be the ride for her. I think there is one scene where a large dino is eating a smaller one. Perhaps you should try it first and get an opinion before taking your daughters on. You probably have a better idea than any of us if it will be too scary for them.

I'm kind of glad to read about other children who were afraid on Dinosaur--It really scared my 8 yr old--even thought we prepped him ahead of time about everything being a robot and not real. It was VERY intense for him.

Coming from a 25 year old, my biggest concern wasn't the animatronics, or the motion - it was the SOUND! It was SO deafening, and very realistic.

I can't imagine what it must be like to the far more sensitive ears of a child.

I don't ride roller coasters, simulations (Body Wars) or spinning rides (not even Dumbo) but I did talk myself into Dinosaur in 2000. I'm glad I did. The storyline is pretty cool. Getting jerked around is better than being hit by one of those meteors. LOL

I ride this on every visit now.

I was scared to death, I'm 25 =) I closed my eyes almost the whole time, and just held on for dear life. I don't enjoy things jumping out at me at all, and the sounds are deafening.

I would ride it first, maybe, and then make a call on them. They can always close their eyes, like me ;)

Scared me to death (and I'm 29). I keep my eyes squeezed shut and chanted "it's not real" to get through it. My best friend (who was sitting next to me) had to help me out of the car at the end because I was shaking so bad. NEVER AGAIN :scared1:

It scared me (the picture at the end shows me hiding in DS shoulder) but I'd do it again. I'm also to chicken to go on Snow White at all, though, so that should tell you that I'm a big wimp. DS9 likes it and wants to go again, though. He thought the dinosaurs looked very realistic and thought that was cool.

My kids were 9 (DS) and 7 (DD) when we rode Dinosaur. They were both scared and didn't like this ride at all. My DD rode almost the whole way with her head down. In the picture at the end, my DS had the most frightened look on his face. They are not kids who are afraid of the dark, but this ride was way too intense for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter