How ticket releases go with Queue-It

Skyegirl1999

DIS Veteran
Ok, Disney keeps releasing tickets using Queue-It, and people keep being confused. Perhaps this will help. I'm just writing it today and will link back to it when the next ticket release happens. 😊
  1. Prior to the release time (let's use a hypothetical 8am), Disney opens a "pre-queue" where you can join a virtual waiting room. There's not a set time when this opens, but let's say you hop in at 7:30. Now you're in a "pre-line." (It is helpful to do this from as many devices/browsers as possible. People grumble about that, but it's the reality of the system Disney has set up.)
  2. At release time (which is often late), you get a notice that "You're in line" and almost everyone sees an approximate wait time of "More than an hour." Importantly, your position in this line has nothing to do with when you joined that pre-queue. Joining at 7:00 vs. 7:59 means nothing. When it opens, people are randomly scrambled into a queue regardless of when they joined.
  3. Hysteria ensues as some people see "more than an hour" change to actual numbers (such as "50 minutes") and others are still stuck at "more than an hour" even though they've been waiting longer. These wait time numbers tend to jump around a lot, but they do give you an indication that you're close-ish to getting to buy tickets. (Don't trust the number; keep an eye on it so you don't miss your 10-minute purchase window.)
  4. People start to get tickets. Triumphant posts on social media. Utter despair for all those still at "more than an hour." Lots of panic.
  5. **Generally, at some point, the whole system breaks.** All wait times freeze/revert to "more than an hour," or people who are checking out get kicked out, credit cards get refused, some sort of pure chaos that screws over a bunch of people.
  6. People start to offer up "unused" codes from their other browsers. You can share these by clicking on the ID at the bottom of the screen, which will pop-up a shareable link on your clipboard. These should be sent via DM so that they aren't inadvertently used by multiple people. Keep in mind that once you have a Queue ID, there's no way to "cancel" it; logging out or whatever doesn't do anything.
  7. More people start to get tickets. Flood of unused queue IDs offered up. Lots of confusion about how to send DMs. Many IDs shared. Joy.
  8. Very few, if any, dates actually sell out before people who were in at "release time" have all gotten through.*
Frequently, you can jump in later (that night, the next day) and breeze through with tickets in like 15 minutes. Now, would I recommend this if you have your heart set on going/if there's only one date that works for you/etc? Definitely not. But, it's an indication that panic is usually not warranted.

*The main exception to this has been when they announce that they're opening new restaurant reservations. When they released Blue Bayou, for instance, people were in the pre-queue that couldn't get BB. That was also a problem because they released reservations on the app early, so that was a giant cluster.

ANYWAY, I'll come back to this and update it with some photos and such in the comments, but that's kind of an overview after going through this for Touch of Disney, the initial DL reopening tickets, OBB, Merriest Nights, and a bunch of restaurant releases...

This is just for special event ticketing, right? I notice you mentioned initial park tickets and restaurant releases (reservations?), too.

This is just for special event ticketing, right? I notice you mentioned initial park tickets and restaurant releases (reservations?), too.
When they released the initial batch of park tickets from April 30-June 30, they used this system, and they've also used it when they released a batch of "new" restaurant reservations as they reopened. (Like, "Blue Bayou is re-opening on May 27; reservations will be available on 5/14," or whatever.)

Apparently it also gets used for merch releases, but I've never done that.

Apparently it also gets used for merch releases, but I've never done that.

They used it for the 65th merch drop and that's the only merch drop I've seen it used. I was in the virtual line 14 hours that day :rotfl: . Build a Bear uses it fairly regularly too (and BAB has the option to have your Queue ID emailed to you and to get an alert when you're within about 10 minutes; way more friendly than how Disney uses it).

Unfortunately they don't use it for general shopDisney merch drops. It's just their internal queue system and you have to hope you get through without any indication where you might be in your wait. I wouldn't be mad if they started using it for shopDisney merch drops honestly as much as I'm not that big of a fan of Queue It.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter