how to alter a paint can???????

twingle3

Mouseketeer
can someone please help me with instructions on how to alter a paint can???? i am desperate. i am making them for end of the year teachers gifts and have looked in the galleries on websites. they look great but i can't find any step by step instructions....is it just regular patterned paper and cardstock, what do they glue them on with? will it last? please someone help me......
thank you
angie

Hello ! I just used scrapbook paper and a glue stick and decorated the outside with stickers and my dd's name, her's was a beauty bucket. I stocked it full of pre-teen beauty items. I also made a travel one for my dad and step mom, there's had travel size items and snacks in it. they have held up well and they really liked getting the bucket. :wave: good luck!

A friend of mine who has done this measures out the paper to fit the can. Decorates the paper with embellisments, however she likes. Then uses spray adhesive to adhere it to the paint can.

Where do you get the cans? Will any paint store carry clean empty cans? I always think that they are all shipped into the stores filled.

Here are the instructions I have, I couldn't figure out where I found them:

Altered paint can

1. Remove the handle from the can. (actually, I didn't do that the first time I made one - it makes it a lot easier in the long run).

2. Cut two pieces of cardstock, patterned paper or fabric 7 1/4 x 10 3/4. This will leave you some overlap at the seams and a small gop at the top and bottom. You can easily split the 7 1/4 measurement in half if you want to use 2 different papers to cover the can.

3. Place a mark about 1 1/2 inches down from the top of your paper and use a 1" circle punch to cut out holes for the handles.

4. Once the paper is cut and the handle holes punched, you can stamp, ink, sew, draw or right on the paper before it is adhered to the can. (okay here's another thing I messed up on my first can. It wasn't a problem, but it's definitely easier to stamp on a flat surface). Any lumpy embellishments can be added to the can after the paper is attached to the can.

5. Adhere your paper to the can.

a. If the paper is lightweight, you can use double sided tape (I like Terrifically Tacky Tape) to attach the paper along the seams. I just run one piece of 1" wise tape up each side of the can, right under the handle.

b. If you're using heavy weight cardstock, or if you want your can to be a bit more durable, you'll need to use Mod Podge or some other decoupage medium. If you use a wet adhesive like Mod Podge, you'll need to prepare the surface of the can before you start. Do this by giving the can a light sanding with medium grit sandpaper. Use a foam brush to apply the paste to the can and then place the paper. Some people like to slather on another coat of Mod Podge over the paper. You can do this tidily or really sloppy, depending on the look you're trying to achieve. Allow some drying time before adding embellishments. ETA 10/12/07: I suggest using some Tape to hold the paper down. I have found that the paper will try to pull away after time when just using mod podge.

6. To create top or bottom borders, or a horizontal stripe around the middle of the can, cut a strip or paper or a ribbon and adhere with double sided tape.

7. To cover the lid of your can, I find the middle-sized CM circle cutter, using the blue blade yields a circle that is just the right size. You can also use a compass set at 2 5/8 inches to yield a circle with 5 1/4" diameter. (Be warned, when I used a compass I had an ugly flashback to geometry class.....). Again, adhere the paper to the top of the can with double sided tape or Mod Podge.

8. Once the surface is dry, you're free to embellish your can as you wish.

9. Replace the handle of the can.

10. Tie ribbons around the handle and decorate the key to hide any mismatched paper along the side of the can (Trust me, no one will notice, but if they do, shame on them).

Disney Ontario said:
Where do you get the cans? Will any paint store carry clean empty cans? I always think that they are all shipped into the stores filled.

I got mine at Home Depot, they were $4.00. I I would check your local home improvement store but a paint store should have them too. Don't forget to get a key to open it.

:cool1: I got my paint cans at Lowes and I think they were under 3.00 !! :dance3: you just got to love Lowe's!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter