How to ask Disney for special request?

MemoryMakers2669

<font color=green>Would rather have a sippy tag th
I posted about this a while back, but now that I have everything solidly booked...air and hotel....I am ready to take action on this. When I bought our airfare yesterday, I called Disney to change our resort stay dates. I told her then that in our party we have two adults with special issues and how do we go about making sure we can get all three rooms close together (don't have to be connecting/adjoining but would like them relatively close) and as close to a bus stop and possibly the main building as possible. MUST have the ground floor.

We are staying at POR and would like the AB section (due to all the kids and wanted the trundle beds), non smoking, building 14, blah blah blah. She said she would add the request but there is no guarantees on it.

NOW, when I first made this reservation back in January I think it was, I brought all this up and she said she would call Special Services (?) and put the requests in with them, which gives us a much better chance of getting what we want. I also read on this board that they will actually go ahead and put a hold on exact rooms for you...not that they would tell me, but that it would be in the system. The lady last night said that department is only for handicapped accessible rooms, and for shower rails.

Is this true?? Is there anyway I can call them directly? I am pretty sure someone on here gave me a number for that department, but I wasn't ready at that time to make the request as I was pretty sure we would be changing resorts, and dates...which we did.

Just so you know, the one lady has a rare skin condition that has effected her hands and feet severly. They have shriveled up, she has lost half of her fingers, her feet are cracked and bleed all the time. The other lady is 65, and has had major back surgeries and has walking problems. Both will need wheelchairs in the parks, but as long as they don't do too much walking, they should be fine. So, having a room close to a bus stop would be awesome, and having one that would cover that and the main building would be that much better. I see this as building 14 at POR, am I right?

They still have the same phone number listed in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities as they have always used for Special Reservations:
407-939-7807 (TTY: 407-939-7670)

Since they list it, you must still be able to call directly.

Even though you think you'll be 'close' to everything at POR, it's still a bit of a walk to the bus stop, etc. I'd get some type of wheelchair/ECV for the resort as well as the parks. Even the food court has a lot of walking/standing involved.

Disney is extremely accommodating when it comes to medical requests. I have a DD with severe skin allergies. One of the triggers is powdered Tide detergent. Disney washes all of their linens in Tide powder. When my DD had a reaction at the Poly this past Christmas, I called Housekeeping and they made arrangements to wash her sheets and towels in a special non-allergenic detergent. The linens were even delivered separately from the other linens on the housekeeping cart and placed in a sealed plastic bag outside our door.
I'm sure if you call the front desk at your resort and ask to speak to the manager on duty before you arrive, that they will do everything they can to make your vacation as magical as possible.

Thanks for the tips. I just put in a request with the CM I made the reservation with and we will see. Do you think I should call the week we are going and talk to the resort itself and tell them personally. Is it someone at the resort that decides which rooms to put people in?

I would call the special needs line and check with them. I would rather make sure your friend can get around easily before I went. I don't think there's any harm in calling Special needs and talking with them. I would be distresserd if I got to the resort and the accommodations were not what was needed.
Pixie Dust for a great trip.

I would call special services directlly too. I would just feel better talking to them direct then going through a CM at CRO and having them posable getting your request wrong.Plus with CRO thats all it is , just a request where with Special services it would be a for sure.

I'd also call right before you come down - say 3-4 days before. That's how far in advance the room assigners do their work. If you had a typical, non-medical request, I wouldn't reccomend this, but if you call the hotel directly that close to check-in and explain your aprehension I am sure they will assist you. Tell them you are nervous about your trip and traveling with guests with special needs, and they will do their best to put you at ease and make sure you get what you need.

Plus, it always helps to explain why you want what you want and not just what you want - they fill requests much more frequently that way. For example, by looking at maps of the resort you may think you've found the perfect room so you request that section/floor. If that isn't available, you'd be out of luck, unless they know WHY you want what you want, then they will try to find an alternate that you may not even have been aware of.

I'm sure they will work with you on this. Just be diligent, and if you don't get help, politely hang up and try again.

Good luck!

N.E.D.

From everything I have read/heard, once the Special Reservations departmanet has taken your requests, they have your reservation and "lock" it into the computer. The resort room assigners or CRO can't "unlock" it.
If that is the case, you could call Special Reservations a few days before you arrive just to make sure that your requests are still what you need and to see what process they recommend for checking with the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter