How to get from MCO to your DVC resort?

ryanmilla

DIS Veteran
I know this could probably go on the Transportation board, but I wanted to ask fellow DVCers this question.

In the past we have normally taken a towncar service from MCO to our DVC resort mainly so that we can stop at a grocery store on the way. Also, love the individual treatment. But now with DME and the positive reviews it is now receiving after working out all of the kinks, I'm starting to have second thoughts. :confused3

I have two trips coming up. One with my family alone (DW, DD4, DS1) in Dec and another with our best friends (same size family as ours) in March. I was thinking a Van for the March trip to keep us all together and so that we could stop and pick up some food on the way. It will be our friends first trip to WDW. :cool1:

Are people still using a towncar/Van service to get to the resorts so that you can do a grocery stop OR have people started doing the DME route with the wegoshop service in order to save some money?

If we have 4 or more people staying, we usually rent a car for the convenience. There are usually some pretty good rates for a week. DME does make the free transportation enticing, but I would miss taking a car to the grocery store and taking my time. You could also rent a car or van at MCO for the day to transport everyone to the resort and the grocery store and then return it at the car care center for the 1 day charge. We have done that when we have had a large group too. We did the same thing in reverse when we needed to go back to the airport.

Hi ryanmilla,

We know everyone's situation is different but we priced everything out and it was cheaper for us to go with DME and buy the stuff we needed at WDW than rent a car and/or towncar for the grocery stop.

We weren't planning to cook a lot and just needed snacks, milk, water, etc. so it was more straightforward for us than if you are planning to do a lot of cooking.

I am sort of a control freak and even with the good reviews for DME I still use tiffany towncar. I don't like the idea of someone else handling my luggage, and I don't like leaving for the airport as early as you have to with DME. The extra $100 bucks for the towncar is worth it to me. But I am thinking of trying we go shop this next trip (october), so we get to WDW sooner.

Four or more people? Towncar/limo, hands down.

No muss, no fuss.

Try the DIS board sponsor, FL Tours.

We switched from van service (family of 5) to DME in July and enjoyed it thoroughly. as long as it's free, we'll continue using it. The only difference in pickup time on the return trip between van + DME is 45 minutes. That's not enough time for me to shell out the $130 (w/tip) for the van. But, if they charge for DME, we'll go back to tiffany towncar.

We used to use towncar service, but are now renting a car so we have greater mobility around and off property.

We rent a car, check in, shop, and plan to do off-site activities the first day or 2. Thenwe return the car to the car care center on-site, and take a cab to the airport on the day we leave.

DME for transportation
wegoshop.com for groceries

Works for us!

We continue to use FL TOURS - love those guys!

We also use wegotoshop.com - not interested in grocery shopping or schelping bags!

We are using DME this trip. We are flying the red eye and arrive 7 AM on Saturday 10/29, staying at ASSp the first night. I have a car reserved for one day to be picked up at the Dolphin @ 4 PM. This will give us transportation to move to the BWV , go to the grocery store and turn the car back by 4 PM on Sunday. I think the rental car rate was around $28. We've rented cars for one day on several trips and it works well for us because we don't use one that much.

Using DME and wegoshop on upcoming trip, but it's just me and DGD and we are staying on site everyday.

If we went with larger family, we would get a car. I would be willing to go DME with another family member and just get one full size car and let the other 4 drive to WDW in the car, rather than pay for the van. I think with around 4 people, I would rather do my own shopping and probably twice during the week, rather than once with wegoshop.

And with just me and DH, we would have to get a car so he could go golfing. I have tried to get him to use the free transportation to the Disney courses, but he wants his own car. I was thinking next time we may take DME and then get the car onsite for a few days, depending on the rates I can find.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter