How to get on Indy Speedway quick?

720L

DIS Veteran
We have been trying to get on Indy Speedway without waiting in a long line every trip we go on, but the line is ALWAYS long! Any tips on when the lines are short? And is it worth a long wait?

This is a trick question, right?

Unless you're there right when the park opens and do it first thing, I've never seen a short line for this ride.

Try going during the night time parade or fireworks....
Memorial Day weekend of 2001, Me, my DW and two DS' skipped the parade and fireworks and rode Buzz 4 times in a row basically constantly moving through the queue area... no slow down at all, then went over to the Indy Speedway and had to wait about 5 minutes to ride.

I think Star Wars guy is right on.
Robmpg's suggestion is probably good to try, but if you really, really want to do it, I'd make it my first stop. That is one l-o-n-g, miserable line for a not very awesome ride.
It takes a long time to load and unload the ride, and the cars travel at an uneven speed (one driver may be faster than another), which contributes to the line.

PS: Edited to add: No, it is not worth waiting in a long line for.

Don't bother with it. I saw no real appeal to this ride and my kids didn't either. It's not even worth it if there is NO line, because you could be doing so many other, better things!! Just my opinion and I'm sorry if there is anyone I have insulted!!

Originally posted by 720L
We have been trying to get on Indy Speedway without waiting in a long line every trip we go on, but the line is ALWAYS long! Any tips on when the lines are short? And is it worth a long wait?

From a former CM and one who used to work the Indy Speedway, you need to be at the ride first thing in the AM....period!
I can't tell you how fast I saw that line grow once the clock hit about 8:30am or so on an EE day. On a day when we didn't open til 9am, that long was long within 30 minutes also. Is it worth the wait, not really. I mean it's a cool ride for the young ones as they really believe they are driving, but I'd much rather stand in a long line for Splash Mountain or Pirates of the Caribbean, know what I mean?

Even when we have seen the wait posted for 5 minutes its more like 20. :rolleyes: DH gets so aggravated at this ride because no matter how big the line is they never seem to open the second track...or once they did right as we were getting on, LOL!
As for the appeal, no,there is none to me. However, my DSs(4 & 7) get the biggest kick out of riding this ride so its a must do for them.

No, it's not worth the wait, but try to tell that to the pre-teen set that wants to drive.

I've often wondered why this ride isn't an e-night ride. I'd ride it if I didn't have to wait a long time.

Yep, I agree with Brer Mom - try telling the 9 year old twin boys "no, that line is just too long!" We will have to just grin and bear it - their excitement will be well worth the wait for us.

Ohhh, the speedway is the bane of my and dh's existence when we are in MK! Our boys want to ride this (more than once) and we see no reason to stand in line to ride in a car (heck we just drove 14 hours to get there - isn't that enough!).

That being said, next Sat we will be heading there as the crowd heads to the mountains, so we don't waste precious time there later! :rolleyes:

st got back...today.. Ds loves this ride so since we split MK up into 3 visits this trip (1 EMH ,one evening ,and an e-ride night). We did it 2x right at park opening(no wait) when everyone was headed to more popular stuff. By 9:45 line was LOOOOONG

I'll agree, that is the most miserable line in all of WDW!! It looks so short yet is so long. I think this one ranks higher than DUMBO in the miserable wait department because at least with DUMBO you have things to look at in the que and surrounding area.

We rode it last year and Dh wasnt quite tall enough to drive by himself. The CM told him "next year" So now that he has grown a couple more inches we will have to stand in that line one more time well, okay 2 more times for our other DS but after that they are on their own!! LOL

We usually skip it because the line is so bad. I promised DD last trip so we went and got a Buzz FP and went right to the speedway. A small line and 25 minutes later we were on.

I think it' is just a slow loader as it physically stops so people tend to dawdle.

Sandy

We are hoping that DS (now close to 9) is almost old enough that this ride will hold no appeal for him. For the time being, though, we always make it our second ride when we get to MK at park opening or for early entry. We run to Space Mountain and then dash over to the Speedway. Then we can slow down a bit because he's finally lost interest in Dumbo. (I like to ride Dumbo from time to time, but that's a different story!) ;)

Julie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter