How to get the best price on a rental

Lots of good advice above. Yes, $2k for two weeks does sound high. I know some airport locations out west tend to be even more expensive than in the east. Last time I went out there (almost 10 years ago) Phoenix seemed to be very expensive and Las Vegas was quite inexpensive.

The main thing to do is book something, even at the high rate you're seeing now, BUT, do not book anything pre-pay. Then keep checking as time goes on, maybe let autoslash do some of the work for you. No need to check daily or even weekly at this point, but once you get within a few months of your trip, look a little more frequently. Especially pay attention once you're within a month; the last few weeks before a trip is when we've often seen the biggest drops...but that's mostly pre-Covid behavior; these days who knows...

Costco generally has the lowest, or close to, the lowest legit price. COSTCO includes an extra driver. OP is taking a 2 week trip. Cost for an extra driver can add up.
Most if not all of the major rental companies have an extra driver as one of the published benefits of being part of their loyalty programs. Also, some states have it as a mandate. OP hasn't told us where they are picking up the vehicle other than "out west." That might make some difference too.

Most if not all of the major rental companies have an extra driver as one of the published benefits of being part of their loyalty programs. Also, some states have it as a mandate. OP hasn't told us where they are picking up the vehicle other than "out west." That might make some difference too.
Alamo removed that perk a few years ago. Is it back. Its not clear if the OP needs an extra driver who is a spouse. COSTCO extra driver isn't limited to a spouse. State mandates and frequently loyalty perks are limited to a spouse

Renters need to price including any applicable charges for extra drivers

Alamo removed that perk a few years ago. Is it back. Its not clear if the OP needs an extra driver who is a spouse.
Alamo actually extended that perk to all renters, not just Insiders. It is limited to a spouse or domestic partner, but does not give a definition of what a domestic partner is. CA law says the companies may not limit the free additional driver by relationship.

Alamo actually extended that perk to all renters, not just Insiders. It is limited to a spouse or domestic partner, but does not give a definition of what a domestic partner is. CA law says the companies may not limit the free additional driver by relationship.
For the benefit of anyone who thinks they found a loophole...I doubt domestic partner could apply to a sibling, parent or to a person who is married to someone other then the person renting the car.

Most personal auto policies and credit card coverage only covers situations where the car is operated as per terms of the rental agreement.

Pray? I haven't found any way to see the prices drop like they used to the closer you got to you rental In the last 2 years, the prices have only gone up. The earlier you rent, the cheaper it is. Hoping that will change soon.
We rented in Orlando a few weeks ago. The price dropped about $200 on a minivan, from our initial cost about 2 weeks before the trip, just like it always has for us.

Try off airport locations and just Ubering to the enterprise location
We are flying to California - on airport with Enterprise and my car rental was almost $500. Off airport it was $165. And it's less than a mile from the airport.

For the benefit of anyone who thinks they found a loophole...I doubt domestic partner could apply to a sibling, parent or to a person who is married to someone other then the person renting the car.

Most personal auto policies and credit card coverage only covers situations where the car is operated as per terms of the rental agreement.
Alamo chooses not to define what a domestic partner is. Hertz does, and it would seem to include a roommate as this is the policy they have posted.
A domestic partner is defined as an unmarried partner of the same or opposite sex (not a relative) who permanently resides as part of the same family unit, at the same address as the renter, as validated by the address on the driver's license.
Alamo's sister company, National lists domestic partner, then further down lists same-sex domestic partner, but also allows Emerald Club members to include immediate family if they have the same address on their driver's license. Alamo's parent company, Enterprise, does exactly the same as Alamo and does not define "domestic partner."

We rented in Orlando a few weeks ago. The price dropped about $200 on a minivan, from our initial cost about 2 weeks before the trip, just like it always has for us.
We had a car rented the middle of October. We originally reserved it about 9 months prior and the price never went lower. As of pick up day, 2 weeks and 4 weeks before, the price was $300 more than what we had reserved at for a standard car. maybe the mini-vans dropped? I don't know as I never priced those. From compact to standard, the prices didn't drop.

OP here. We are picking up/dropping off at the Denver Airport.

OP here. We are picking up/dropping off at the Denver Airport.
All car rentals at DEN are off site. It may be worth looking into a rental that starts and/or ends downtown rather than at the airport. You'd have to take the train into town but it might save you quite a bit. IIRC the airport fees at DEN are pretty high. If you want or need an extra driver, look into that before choosing a company. I would book whatever you find now that isn't a pre-paid rate and have Autoslash keep looking for you.

All car rentals at DEN are off site. It may be worth looking into a rental that starts and/or ends downtown rather than at the airport. You'd have to take the train into town but it might save you quite a bit. IIRC the airport fees at DEN are pretty high. If you want or need an extra driver, look into that before choosing a company. I would book whatever you find now that isn't a pre-paid rate and have Autoslash keep looking for you.

That is a good idea to look into rentals downtown. Our hotel is pretty close to Union Station (or is it Square?) and Coors Field, which I think is close to where the train drops off. For now, I did book a rental from Enterprise with the code from my DH's work, but I did not prepay. I will keep on monitoring prices.

That is a good idea to look into rentals downtown. Our hotel is pretty close to Union Station (or is it Square?) and Coors Field, which I think is close to where the train drops off. For now, I did book a rental from Enterprise with the code from my DH's work, but I did not prepay. I will keep on monitoring prices.
It's Union Station, which is where the train line from the airport terminates. They claim 37 minutes from the airport to Union Station, took about 15 to get from the airport the Alamo lot the last time I was in DEN.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter