How to get to Aldi without a car?

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
It's really weird, but we're going on a trip this weekend and won't have a car. But my kid has this fascination with Aldi and we're trying to figure out how to get to one of the Aldi stores (Anaheim or Buena Park) without a car. We will be getting ART day passes and would consider OCTA if needed, but I've tried test ride requests and they don't have any stop that are that close. Maybe just around Medieval Times or Knott's Berry Farm and then one heck of a walk. And ART doesn't go anywhere near that part of Anaheim. We will be staying at Hotel Lulu.

I'm not really going to consider Uber or a Taxi since that would just eat up a ridiculous amount that I could spend on food.

Just to be clear, he is fascinated with Aldi's or Trader's Joes? There is an Aldi about 3 mile away on South Euclid in Anaheim..

Just to be clear, he is fascinated with Aldi's or Trader's Joes? There is an Aldi about 3 mile away on South Euclid in Anaheim..

No lack of Trader Joe's in Northern California. But not a single Aldi. I did see that on a map and when I had a car I'd been to that big shopping area on Euclid with the Walmart. But yeah - it's got to be Aldi.

You'll need to rideshare. There is no other feasible option. What about Aldi is your son interested in?

An Uber will cost you like under $20 round trip. Is that really not an option?

Rideshare or use OCTA. ART really should stand for Anaheim Resort Transportation since that is pretty much where they go.

There is an Aldi off Chapman. Use google maps to map it out but you should be able to take the #543 bus down Harbor and transfer at Chapman then pick up bus #54

The walk from Medieval Times would be about a mile to the Aldi. You could hit up Porto's, which is next to Medieval Times. Then walk to Aldi, hit up Portillo's across the street & head back?

The Aldi in Buena Park is a lot nicer than the one on Euclid. The Euclid one is very old & rundown, plus it doesn't have a much of a selection.

You'll need to rideshare. There is no other feasible option. What about Aldi is your son interested in?

An Uber will cost you like under $20 round trip. Is that really not an option?

Anything is an option in case of emergency, such as "we're going to be stuck here unless we make it to the airport in time".

OK, so how are you getting to Disneyland? <putting on thinking cap>

ART from the ARTIC station or wherever. We're taking Amtrak in. We had a trial run last month and ART took us pretty much everywhere including Porto's, Anaheim Packing House, (kind of) our motel, and Disneyland. There wasn't a stop like a half block away from our motel, but the closest stop was Knott's and that was a short enough walk. We didn't go to Disneyland per se, but did go to Downtown Disney where we got scared by all the lines but did see the fireworks.

And yeah ART's new on-demand ride system is kind of inscrutable at first, but once it's figured out it's was really easy and convenient. My only problem is that I made the mistake of saying that it was "like a taxi" right in front of a driver.

The walk from Medieval Times would be about a mile to the Aldi. You could hit up Porto's, which is next to Medieval Times. Then walk to Aldi, hit up Portillo's across the street & head back?

The Aldi in Buena Park is a lot nicer than the one on Euclid. The Euclid one is very old & rundown, plus it doesn't have a much of a selection.

OK. The first place we're going to is Porto's which we went to last time. We're going to try a bunch of different things this time.

Buena Park does sound better. I'll have to figure out how close ART can get us there. It's either across the street from Medieval Times or the stop at Knott's, which is probably a longer walk. Probably just walk from Porto's which may be a good idea to burn off some calories.

And one question was why Aldi. My kid wants their macarons for some reason. I get that Aldi owns Trader Joe's and their macarons probably come from the same supplier in France, but my kid wants those since they're different flavors. I've literally been bugged about find a way to go to some Aldi location for a couple of years.

So we're willing to walk there. But there are some advantages like the Walmart there (my kid is looking for a specific toy) and Portillo's to get one of their cake shakes. The walking will do us some good burning off all the calories we'll be consuming.

Now one possibility was bringing along our bikes, but I'm not sure how good an idea that would be. I have a folding bike that meets all the requirements as a carry on for Amtrak, although I'm not sure if ART would allow it, and probably not LA Metro.

So we're willing to walk there. But there are some advantages like the Walmart there (my kid is looking for a specific toy) and Portillo's to get one of their cake shakes. The walking will do us some good burning off all the calories we'll be consuming.

Now one possibility was bringing along our bikes, but I'm not sure how good an idea that would be. I have a folding bike that meets all the requirements as a carry on for Amtrak, although I'm not sure if ART would allow it, and probably not LA Metro.

Here are the bike rules for LA Metro: https://www.metro.net/riding/bike-transit/

ART doesn't seem to have specific rules about bikes on buses, folding or otherwise, but they may fall under the catchall of "unsafe" articles. You might want to contact them for clarification.

All that said, Anaheim and Buena Park have never seemed like bike-friendly places (and I bike a lot of places).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220824-183836.png
    Screenshot_20220824-183836.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 2
Does he actually want to go TO Aldo or just try things from Aldi? If it’s just trying things, Instacart might be a good option too.

Well - this is just something my wants to try out. It's not going to be devastating if they don't have it, and in any case I've been hearing about wanting to go to Aldi's for a while. It's just that my kid has access to the internet and looks up all sorts of things. That's why on our last trip to LA/OC we ended up going to Porto's, Mashti Malone's, and Fugetsu-Do.

And this time it's going to be the licorice ice cream at Hans Homemade. We went there last time, but this is just something that's so bizarre.

Does Aldi always have macarons? I don’t see them all of the time .

They had them. Weird though as they were labeled as “French macarons” but were made in Belgium. It was a lot of walking to get there in the midday heat. But we did get a strawberry lemon cake shake at Portillo’s. And now Hans Homemade. We are in a serious sugar rush now.

They had them. Weird though as they were labeled as “French macarons” but were made in Belgium. It was a lot of walking to get there in the midday heat. But we did get a strawberry lemon cake shake at Portillo’s. And now Hans Homemade. We are in a serious sugar rush now.
How was the strawberry lemon cake shake? I've only had the chocolate

How was the strawberry lemon cake shake? I've only had the chocolate

Sugar overload. Plenty for two, especially after we were at Porto’s. The lemon cake works pretty well with the strawberry shake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter