how to get to fort lauderdale port from orlando airport?

adznyfan

Earning My Ears
hi

it's cheaper (since i have miles) for me to fly to orlando and then somehow get to the fort lauderdale airport - can anyone suggest a good way to do this?

thanks!

We have a cruse booked for January 2024 out of Port Everglades. We are staying at GF before and renting a car to drive to/from the port.

Brightline will start running this spring/early summer from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale/Miami. Depending on when your cruise is, that might be an option, but not sure MCO will still be cheaper once you add in the additional expenses.

I was looking into this yesterday as well and a car seems to be the main way for now, though I'll be watching for Brightline to come online. There are buses already but they take much longer.

I was looking into this yesterday as well and a car seems to be the main way for now, though I'll be watching for Brightline to come online. There are buses already but they take much longer.
But a rental car is going to be much cheaper. Word was Brightline was $100 pp plus luggage.

Plus in our case, we are going from MCO to GF and then to Port Everglades. Having a rental car will streamline that process.

But a rental car is going to be much cheaper. Word was Brightline was $100 pp plus luggage.
I'd be doing my first cruise solo next year if I keep the one I have booked, so in my case $100 is probably cheaper. If I push it back so my husband can join me, then we might get a car but honestly still might not... we really enjoy train travel.

Edited to add, thats only if I decide I need a nonstop flight as I'm not a great flier and appreciate nonstops so much... I can hop up to SEA from PDX and then just go to FLL if I wanted too.

Ticket pricing I've seen is $45. The train will absolutely be cheaper than a rental car.

Not to mention priceless savings of avoiding the hell on earth that is driving in South Florida these days.
#1 How much is Brightline from Orlando to Miami?
How much will Brightline cost? A standard one-way ticket between Orlando and Miami will cost around $100.

#2 It's expected that the fare from Miami to Orlando will start at around $100 one-way, although official pricing information has not yet been released. Monthly passes are currently available for Brightline's South Florida routes, starting at $229 per month, which allows for unlimited trips.Jan 18, 2023

#1 How much is Brightline from Orlando to Miami?
How much will Brightline cost? A standard one-way ticket between Orlando and Miami will cost around $100.

#2 It's expected that the fare from Miami to Orlando will start at around $100 one-way, although official pricing information has not yet been released. Monthly passes are currently available for Brightline's South Florida routes, starting at $229 per month, which allows for unlimited trips.Jan 18, 2023
You forgot the most important part of that number one where "No Official ticket prices have been confirmed yet"

Just a heads up, it's about a 3-3.5 hour drive if you rent a car. On both 1-95 and the FL Turnpike there are plenty of nice rest stops (personally I prefer the Turnpike but 95 will take you further east where you need to be). If you do the drive, consider flying in the day (or two days) before your cruise leaves, just in case there is a flight delay and/or traffic. I wouldn't want to make the drive on the day your ship departs.

If you want to do the train, Amtrak is also still around. Looks like the Orlando station is north of downtown and the Kissimmee station to the south so you would need an Uber/taxi to get to either station, and the Ft. Lauderdale station is also a few miles from the port, so you would also need to get a ride there. There may be bus connections also since these are all travel hubs, but that might be hard with luggage. Still, I just picked a random day in June and the Amtrak ticket was $36, which isn't bad.

You forgot the most important part of that number one where "No Official ticket prices have been confirmed ye
Well then I guess every article written has been wrong since here's #3 written on March 10th. With W Palm to Orlando at $75. There was also mention early that you have to pay,, $10 each piece for luggage from the airport..

A standard one-way ticket between Miami and Orlando is expected to cost about $100. A West Palm Beach-Orlando ticket is expected to run anywhere from $75 to $85. Official prices have not been announced. Passengers can buy tickets at the stations, but they also can purchase online. Discounted fares are available with two days advance purchase.

Last edited:
i would want more control so i would rent a car one way from MCO to FTL Cruise terminal.

I would not rely on Brightline just yet to new at that point in my opinion.

Reserve a rental car. If Brightline is on line for your trip you can always cancel the rental car a few days in advance. The train will be way less stressful than driving. Either way you will need a short Uber in Fort Lauderdale to the port. Either from the airport rental car center or the Brightline station.

We live in South Florida. I have read that Brightline prices will be:
Smart: $79.00 one way
Premium: $149.00 one way
*That is between the Boca Raton station where I live (in between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale) and the Orlando Station.

We've made the drive up to Orlando and back for many, many, years. I am thrilled to be able to get off the turnpike and to sit back and relax on the train! Cannot wait.

ETA: Not sure about the cost for checking luggage. And, we will have the added cost of taking a Uber to/from the Orlando Brightline station to WDW. Still well worth it to get away from the traffic and accidents on the turnpike.

To each his own. Some people have no problem with deluxe resort prices - I sure do! We have POP Century booked and will put what we save towards Brightline and still come out ahead.

Last edited:
I am doing a cruise out of Port Everglades next Jaunary but staying in Orlando the night before (though not DCL). We will probably do a rental car. I'll look into Brightline but I honestly like to have more control, be able to stop, etc. so the car will probably be the way we go.

I am doing a cruise out of Port Everglades next Jaunary but staying in Orlando the night before (though not DCL). We will probably do a rental car. I'll look into Brightline but I honestly like to have more control, be able to stop, etc. so the car will probably be the way we go.

We also have a cruise in January and are planning on using a rental car. I had initially booked Brightline but then got cold feet after reading some of the reviews. Since they only give a credit (not full refund); we will probably take the train back to WDW after the cruise.

I like the idea of not having to drive that far, but I like having more control getting to the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter