How to reach Dave Ramsey Baby step 1

rnorwo1

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to help my brother quickly build an emergency savings. He is physically disabled and really struggling to make it on his disability income. He needs a cushion. He is looking for a part time job up to the allowed limits, but his physical limitations are significant, and he has always been employed in physical labor positions, so finding something he's qualified for/capable of doing is difficult. I wanted to help him get started with doing things online in his free time (which he has a lot of right now) such as surveys and such while he is looking.

I started one survey site to test it (Branded surveys) and earned about $3 in appx 45 minutes. I would never spend time on this, but he does have the time, and an additional $200/month will help him significantly, so sites like this may work well.

He's also trying to sell what he can. His vehicle is on its last legs, so driving-required jobs are not an option. I know about Swagbucks, Rakuten, etc., but I definitely don't want anything shopping related!

Please let me know of any other survey sites or other ideas for raising money with all these limitations.
Thanks!

Alaska airlines has all of their call center reservation agents work from home. Most of the other airlines probably do as well.

Alaska airlines has all of their call center reservation agents work from home. Most of the other airlines probably do as well.
Thanks, but I would be very frustrated if he were my call agent! He has some issues with communication and just has basic computer skills.

Entry-level data entry jobs? I think in many cases you only need basic computer skills (but I could be wrong).

Does he have anything of value at home that he does not really use/need? I sell a lot of stuff on Facebook Marketplace and I often do either pay ahead or leave money somewhere (guess this depends on what type of neighborhood he lives in) and leave the item on the porch for pickup at the buyer's convenience so not a lot of mobility required for that. I also sell a lot on eBay (more expensive items and a wider audience) but that requires running items to the post office.

I have done a lot of surveys over the years and found out it’s really just for fun. It never paid even enough for some extra spending money that you could count on. Dave Ramsey is big on selling stuff you don’t need. You can make a lot of money on marketplace or Craigslist and cleaning out as a bonus.

Thanks, but I would be very frustrated if he were my call agent! He has some issues with communication and just has basic computer skills.
After speaking to several credit card calk agents the past week for a fraud issue, I can tell you it wouldn't be an issue. Most only spoke minimal English so I don’t think communication skills are a job requirement.

Thanks! He is trying to sell what he has, but it is slow going. He used to have quite the party life before these issues, so he does have a lot of upscale clothing. Which survey sites were better than others? If he earned $100/month right now, it would help. He has zero cushion. He is meeting with some program that offers free resume and career coaching soon, so hopefully they will find something for him!

He is meeting with some program that offers free resume and career coaching soon, so hopefully they will find something for him!

i was going to suggest this. dvr (department of vocational rehabilitation) is an excellent resource for individuals with disabiliities. they are also VERY aware of the rules governing any disability income/supportive services so that they don't have him in paid training or employment that endangers his eligibility. they are also aware in a given region which employers support their programs (avail themselves to buisness tax credits/wage reimbursements) and earmark jobs for their clients. it is an entirely free service (no program he participates in should charge him-if they do he should look elsewhere).

p.s. make sure your brother is availing himself of any and every program that reduces his monthly expenses as well to help stretch his income. low income and esp. certain types of disability income automaticaly create eligibility for some-

free/very reduced cell phone service
reduced utilities
free public transportation (or if needed due to degree of disability-door to door paratransit) pass
upwards of 100% coverage for medical co-pays (even those on medicaid or medicare programs have co-pays, check w/the medical provider's group he uses b/c they could have a financial assistance program)
snap (food stamp) healthy incentive programs. if on food stamps and he purchases certain items it can create eligibility to coupons, discounts, gift cards, bonus food items and extra funds.

any funds he saves through these could be earmarked towards his emergency fund.

pps-if he is veteran look into local programs that support them we have several that do car repairs.

Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to help my brother quickly build an emergency savings. He is physically disabled and really struggling to make it on his disability income. He needs a cushion. He is looking for a part time job up to the allowed limits, but his physical limitations are significant, and he has always been employed in physical labor positions, so finding something he's qualified for/capable of doing is difficult. I wanted to help him get started with doing things online in his free time (which he has a lot of right now) such as surveys and such while he is looking.

I started one survey site to test it (Branded surveys) and earned about $3 in appx 45 minutes. I would never spend time on this, but he does have the time, and an additional $200/month will help him significantly, so sites like this may work well.

He's also trying to sell what he can. His vehicle is on its last legs, so driving-required jobs are not an option. I know about Swagbucks, Rakuten, etc., but I definitely don't want anything shopping related!

Please let me know of any other survey sites or other ideas for raising money with all these limitations.
Thanks!
The Ramsey website has a bunch of articles that may trigger some ideas. Here are a couple:

34 Ways to Make Extra Money

How to Make Money Online

Also, these may not apply to his situation, but here are some suggestions for anyone in the same pinch:

1. Donate plasma
2. If expecting a tax refund, adjust withholdings to get more money back during the year.
3. If expecting a tax refund, file sooner than later!
4. GoFundMe or other donation sites. Sometimes people browse profiles just to be generous and help!
5. Family and friends pooling money. About $85 a month gets a $1000 emergency fund in one year.
6. Hosting or joining a community bake sale or yard sale.
7. Salvation Army and Goodwill have job training and rehabilitation programs. Some might be online.

If you have more questions in the future, please feel free to stop by the Dave Ramsey thread:

The Dave Ramsey 'Baby Steps' Thread

I'm so sorry your brother is having a tough time, but hopefully things turn around soon. It seems like you have a sweet heart. Wishing you both the best!

Last edited:
Thanks! He is trying to sell what he has, but it is slow going. He used to have quite the party life before these issues, so he does have a lot of upscale clothing. Which survey sites were better than others? If he earned $100/month right now, it would help. He has zero cushion. He is meeting with some program that offers free resume and career coaching soon, so hopefully they will find something for him!
There aren’t any survey sites that earn $100 a month that I know of, and I’ve been a member of many sites. You can only do the surveys that they send you, and that may only one a week or so and each one only earns $1 or $2. It takes me months to earn a $25 gift card. So it certainly wouldn’t be something I’d count on if I needed money.
A friend’s daughter who is mentally challenged works for a local organization that hires the disabled. She doesn’t make much but it gets her out and gives her a sense of accomplishment which everyone can benefit from in my opinion. So you may want to check into social services in your area that hire for special needs.

For a while, we were making $5000/yr from churning bank bonuses. Many banks offer a sign on bonus to open a checking or savings account. It may have some simple requirement such as have one direct deposit of at least $500 within the first 90 days and then keep account open for 6 months.
Many times, you don't even have to change your real direct deposit. Some banks can't tell the difference between a real direct deposit and an electronic transfer from another bank.

There is a website that lists new bonuses, tracks all the details of what works and what doesn't work to trigger the bonus, tips, and comments from others.
It's www.doctorofcredit.com

I would open an account in my name and one for dh to double the rewards. There is nothing illegal about it. We still use our real identity/SSN to open a legit account. It's just a matter of how long you want to keep it open. Some I've kept open for years. Most banks send a 1099 form so you have to claim it as income but would you tell your employer that you don't want a $5000 raise because you would then need to pay taxes on it? Highly unlikely.

It helps immensely to document the details of everything you do because with so many accounts, you start to lose track.
So I keep a Word document listing the name of the bank, the details/requirements of what I need to do in order to satisfy the bonus requirements, what I need to do to keep the account free of any monthly fees, the date I applied to open the account, the date I pushed $$ into that account & from which bank to trigger the bonus, date the bonus posted, what date I can close the acct without incurring fees, which funds I used to open the account, which funds I used to trigger the bonus, etc. Even if I think it's a mundane detail that doesn't matter, I document it, such as "mailed signature card in on 1-27-24 from public mailbox outside post office". Later down the road when it all the details get fuzzy, I look back and glad I wrote it all down.

I'd like to get back into it again but working FT and taking care of my dad with dementia on weekends doesn't leave me a lot of free time. I'm afraid of starting something I may not finish and end up costing me more than I'd make.

For a while, we were making $5000/yr from churning bank bonuses. Many banks offer a sign on bonus to open a checking or savings account. It may have some simple requirement such as have one direct deposit of at least $500 within the first 90 days and then keep account open for 6 months.
Many times, you don't even have to change your real direct deposit. Some banks can't tell the difference between a real direct deposit and an electronic transfer from another bank.

There is a website that lists new bonuses, tracks all the details of what works and what doesn't work to trigger the bonus, tips, and comments from others.
It's www.doctorofcredit.com

I would open an account in my name and one for dh to double the rewards. There is nothing illegal about it. We still use our real identity/SSN to open a legit account. It's just a matter of how long you want to keep it open. Some I've kept open for years. Most banks send a 1099 form so you have to claim it as income but would you tell your employer that you don't want a $5000 raise because you would then need to pay taxes on it? Highly unlikely.

It helps immensely to document the details of everything you do because with so many accounts, you start to lose track.
So I keep a Word document listing the name of the bank, the details/requirements of what I need to do in order to satisfy the bonus requirements, what I need to do to keep the account free of any monthly fees, the date I applied to open the account, the date I pushed $$ into that account & from which bank to trigger the bonus, date the bonus posted, what date I can close the acct without incurring fees, which funds I used to open the account, which funds I used to trigger the bonus, etc. Even if I think it's a mundane detail that doesn't matter, I document it, such as "mailed signature card in on 1-27-24 from public mailbox outside post office". Later down the road when it all the details get fuzzy, I look back and glad I wrote it all down.

I'd like to get back into it again but working FT and taking care of my dad with dementia on weekends doesn't leave me a lot of free time. I'm afraid of starting something I may not finish and end up costing me more than I'd make.
Yes, this is why I backed off of some of the credit card points game. I still maximize what I can, but I can't keep dozens of cards straight and end up having to call to get late fees removed.

Yes, this is why I backed off of some of the credit card points game. I still maximize what I can, but I can't keep dozens of cards straight and end up having to call to get late fees removed.
I rarely churn credit cards but the banking bonuses are well worth the effort. It would be ideal for someone with a lot of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter