How we (finally) got our room upgrade at the GF - A Canuck Yuk Yuk goes a long way!

Dave in the Frozen North

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Hi folks:

Have been meaning to pop onto the boards to share my tale of how a long-overdue Canadian family finally got a room upgrade.

In 9 trips to Disney World we had never been on the receiving end of one of those wonderful surprises at check-in. After hearing all the stories of people lucking out at a Disney property I had resigned myself that the Disney reservation gods were not, for some reason, ever going to smile upon us. Determined to sway the powers that be, I took a crack at getting their attention this past February.

Following the advice on the web to send a fax to the room comptroller a few days for check-in, I did up my fax sheet, waited till the right day, and off went my digital bits via phone line to the Grand Floridian.

I gave the particulars of our reservation and requested a room at our favourite building at GF - the room we'd booked - was a standard garden view which in Canadian dollars went for a little under $500.00 But in my room request fax, I decided to throw in a self-made version of a joke I had once seen - which I wrote to deal with Canucks visiting Disney World.

Anyway - my Canuck Yuk Yuk I threw in was as follows:

A SMILE FOR YOUR DAY

A Canadian couple arrived at Orlando International Airport, and after finally getting their rental car they headed down the road to begin their Disney World vacation. As they approached Kissimmee, the Canadian couple started arguing about the pronunciation of the city name. The husband and the wife were unable to agree whether it was KISSimmee or KissEEMmee. They continued to argue back and forth as they drove into the City and stopped for lunch.

As they stood at the restaurant counter continuing to argue the issue, the wife asked the young employee, "Before we order, could you please settle an argument for us? We’re from Canada and we’re not sure how to pronounce the name of this place. I wonder if you would please tell us where we are and say it...veeeery slowly?"

The young employee looked puzzled, paused, leaned over the counter and said, very slowly, with great emphasis: "Burrrrrrrr, gerrrrrrr, Kiiiiing."

AND THE HAPPY RESULT? -- I guess it worked. When we checked in, we finally got our upgrade! A corner room, with two balconies, second floor, mere feet from the water, facing the Magic Kingdom (going for $1,000 Canadian - cause we had checked the year before!) My kids (and my wife and I) were thrilled.

After years of creativity and writing those trip reports on the DIS Boards (I'm an old veteran - they're long gone now), Disney FINALLY gave me a freebee. Which is fitting since it likely was our last WDW vacation for many years.

Dave in the Frozen North

Nice to see you post Dave. You gave me really good advice about a passport for my granddaughter a couple of years ago. I followed your advice and she got her passport and we all went to Disney and the Disney cruise.
tigercat

Wow, congratulations :)

An upgrade like that really starts your trip off on the right foot and makes ya feel good all over. ;)

Did you take photos of this room? I would love to see some (and the rest of your holiday of course)

>>^..^<<

Congratulations Dave...wow...what a nice upgrade. We loved the GF but it does get pricey in Canadian dollars. Loved your joke. :)

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear from you and about your upgrade!!
Miss your great trip reports, they were classics. Would love to hear about your Grand Floridian trip.

Louise::MinnieMo

That is too funny, Dave! :rotfl: And what a nice surprise when you arrived at the GF! Congratulations on the great upgrade!

Where and when do you fax in room requests.

I am staying at one of the All Stars so not a whole lot to ask for but I would like a non-smoking room and to be on the top floor. Anyone know the fax number as well as when is a good time to do this.

Thanks

:laughing: That's a great story Dave! Congrats on the awesome upgrade :)

Hockeychic -- You can find more info here about faxing in room requests. You can also have CM's note your room preferences on your reservations through CRO or WDTC.. Good luck :)

http://www.wdwig.com/cro1.htm

I find the best thing to do at the AS's is to ask on check-in (especially the non smoking part...they always accommodate that)I've requested all kinds of stuff...like floor,building,non smoking and they've always been very gracious.Be patient also because it takes a bit of extra time for them to find all that stuff...if you request on booking and it hasn't been done for you just mention this and they'll hop right too it.Usually fairly simple and I find the key to success is being there early...like 8:30 am or so (this really helps if your driving....stay outside the resort the night before and arrive to check your baggage...then head to the parks or stay for breakfast...this way you are ahead of all the airline arrivals and your request may be a little easier to accomodate!!!!Good Luck!!!

Just a side note..I've found that although I've request through CRO for some reason you always need to follow up it's almost as if they're hoping you won't ask again or something??....like I said not so much with the non smoking thing but moreso with all the other little stuff!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter