How would 3 days at WDW after the 4 night cruise be a mistake?

dutton

Mouseketeer
My DH wants to do a Disney cruise and I want to do WDW, so we decided that per some friends advice the 3 night cruise is too short that we would do the 4 night. Since this cruise is Sun-Thurs the only way to add on WDW days with my DH work schedule and kid's school is to finish the week at WDW. Would this seem backwards? Thanks for any advice!!

That's the way we did ours in November of 2001 (has it really been that long?).
It was fine.....kind of a let down after being pampered on the ship and then going to the hustle bustle of the parks...didn't help that it was Thanksgiving weekend and PACKED!!
It was fun, but we went home exhausted! I think we all slept for two days!

If that's the only way, then do it!

We were lucky enough to be able to do a week at WDW BEFORE our 4 night cruise. It was really wonderful! WDW, even during the off season when we went, can be really tiring. The cruise was the perfect way to wind down before heading back to reality. We didn't care if we did anything. We just relaxed and enjoyed the ship.

I think if it were us, I'd consider doing WDW first and then the 3 day. I know it's shorter, and you don't get a lot of time, but we didn't want to do any excursions in Nassau so we hung out on the ship instead. It's like making your own day at sea. :) And while you are on board you can book a 7 night, because you will want to. And you'll get a shipboard credit for doing so! You can change your date or transfer the reservation to a travel agent later and still keep the credit.

I enjoy going back to WDW after the cruise. It's too much of a letdown to go right home after leaving the ship!

Of course, I enjoy going to WDW before the cruise, too! It's too much of a letdown to go home right after leaving the parks!

I can't decide which way works better, so we do both.

Beth

Dutton - I just did that and initially before we went I was a bit disappointed as I thought the cruise would provide nice R&R after running around like a lunatic in the parks. However, I had already been to WDW a couple times and was much more excited about the cruise....

Once I got off the cruise I was so happy to be going to WDW to continue the fun. I can't imagine how depressed I would've been after the cruise to go home to rainy New York. Going to WDW provided a good transition and something to look forward to as the cruise is ending.

We have gone back to WDW several times after sailing on the Wonder. We are going to the AKL in September after our 7 night Magic cruise. We get a good rate using the come back code, so we are treating ourselves.
Last year we got to the hotel early after driving from Port Canaveral and the CM whispered that we could have our room immediately, but don't tell anyone standing around waiting for their room. He gave us a special needs king room on the Kudu trail. We had reserved a savannah view. It was nice.

We are doing it that way too. I wanted to go 4th of July week so the kids missed less of their summer activities (theatre camp and swim team don't meet on July 3 or 4, so they only miss 3 days). If we had done the parks first they would have missed 6 days! I wanted to do the longer cruise, so after the Wonder we do 3 nights at VWL.
I teach and can only go in summer--but with 2 active kids (DS, bless him, is only 5 and only in a twice a week soccer thing) it's still an effort to get a good time. Now we are missing the big fireworks for Ohio's bicentennial--but so what, the fireworks we'll see at MGM that night will still be better!
Robin M.

We like to wear ourselves out in the park for a few days and then unwind and relax on the cruise. We did it the other way around our first time in 2001 and it was a HUGE mistake on our part. We won't make that mistake again!

We did a few days at WDW before the 4 day cruise last year and everyone was so tired on the ship that we would do the parks after next time. We never made it to any of the night adult shows and my daughter who never goes to bed without a fuss was only interested in getting to sleep. I think you will have a perfect trip.

Were doing the 7 night eastern then AKL for 3 nights. If we can resist the lure of the parks one of those days, we're going to just enjoy AKL and maybe take a look at the Poly and Wilderness Lodge. I really think my kids might like Blizzard Beach as much as the major parks. We'll just not do WDW commando style!

Thank you all so much!! I knew I could count on ya'll for good advice!!
Rockn'Robin -- you sound like me! I am going back to school to be a teacher, and will be limited in the times that I can go. I wanted to go last week in May or first of June, but my husband coached All Star baseball and forbids us to go anywhere in May, June or first of July. We do get a few days off around the 4th but he says no WDW in July!! So I am between a rock and a hard place. However, if I can get a job in our county, we get a fall break the first week in October -- so here's hoping!! Thanks!

That is exactly what we did for our first cruise. I actually like it better that way. The Cruise lets have a much needed Chill out period before I deal with the park. I am better equipped to handle WDW after a 4 day cruise.

I sure hope it is a great idea. We decided to add 2 days at WDW after our 7 night Eastern in November. The holiday made it better for us afterwards. The kids will also get the chance to get use to the characters on the ship in smaller groups instead of the crowds that I keep hearing about at WDW. That may make them more comfortable after. Either way, I don't see how you could make any huge mistake with Disney. :)

your friend offers great advice...the 3 day cruises are WAY too short.

We 've done WDW either before or after cruising. All in all, we prefer to cruise after touring the parks. But, you go when you can go.

Keep in mind...those 4 days will 'fly by' - and trying to experience all offered can tire you out. To limit our 3 DD's 'meltdowns', we tried not to do too much after disembarking - treating it like a 'down day'. Were a little better rested by not attending the 'early am' limited breakfast the last morning. Touring the resorts or Downtown Disney are some great activities. To 'feel' like we went to a park...I booked an Illuminations Cruise for the evening we got off the boat.

enjoy!!

We've done it both ways, but always prefer the ship AFTER the exhausting, albeit extremely FUN parks. The four night cruise is certainly preferable to the three, but either way, if it means missing the cruise and/or the parks altogether, just do what you can do & I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

I have not yet cruised but have been to the parks enough to not need to tour commando anymore. I'm thinking you will be feeling overfed after the cruise and might welcome some excercise ;). You might actually save a bit of money on food in the parks because of all the food consumed just prior on the cruise. Just a thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter