How would you buy in?

Pickles516

Mouseketeer
Hey y’all, I’m looking for some thought partners on buying into DVC and figured you fine folks would be the ones to talk to. So, the situation:

I’m likely going to have about 50k to use for something fun and figured this would be my best chance to finally hop on the DVC train. We are a larger family (2 adults, 4 kids), so we’d need to do two separate studios or 2bdrm villas primarily. I’m thinking I’d need somewhere in the ballpark of 300-350 points to be comfortable and have the flexibility to take the vacations we want to take annually.

I really like the idea of having more years per dollar even though I obviously pay more in dues over the life of the deed that way. For that reason I’m primarily thinking of Poly, BLT, Copper Creek or Riviera.

I’m also torn between buying the 300-350 points resale in one pop or buying 150 points direct somewhere and then incrementally supplementing with resale points over the years. Obviously the upside there is that I get the direct perks, and the downside is that I’m limited to long weekend trips with my football team of a family until I have the money to pick up a resale contract or two.

Anyway, I’m just curious to hear any suggestions, warnings, or general thoughts on this situation. I appreciate anyone that takes the time to way in. Thanks!

We just bought points recently. We decided to buy resale because we could buy a lot more points and we would be fine staying at the original 14 resorts until we maybe buy some direct points down the road.

Besides the value, once you are a member I have heard you often get different/better offers for add-on contracts that you cannot do if you are buying your first contract direct. I think you can buy as little as 50 points at a time (maybe 25 even?) direct as an add on once you are a member, even a resale one. Can't confirm the minimum point purchase yet as we just bought and haven't got access to our account yet. Hopefully someone else can confirm. That makes it easier to add in smaller chunks later to get direct perks. Also I didn't like their direct offerings much right now.

We ended up buying at 3 different home resorts so we can do split stays or alternate stays between them but still get 11 month priority every time. Because you are getting enough points for an annual trip you could do the same at at least 2 resorts because you can bank/borrow for a full vacation at each resort on alternating years or split stay every year. Also it would be easier to sell a smaller contract if you wanted to change one home resort in the future instead of having to sell all your points if you have one big contract.

I really valued proximity to parks, so we ended up buying at Bay Lake (closest resort with walking access to Magic Kingdom), Boardwalk (one of the two closest with walking access to Epcot and Hollywood), and Animal Kingdom (closest to Animal Kingdom park, also has the animals!) Boardwalk may not be for everyone since it is expiring in 2042, but we got a good deal on it and it was cheaper and has better availability than Beach Club, which we were also considering for our third contact. A split trip with 2 or even all three of those sounded great to me! Also Boardwalk is finishing their refurbishment now, with Bay Lake and Animal Kingdom starting soon, so they will all be updated rooms soon-ish.

Happy Hunting! Searching and deciding is a journey but it was very fun!

For 50k you have, why can’t you buy 150 points direct and then 150-200 points resale at the same time?

I think the question you need to consider is how much you like to stay at Riviera or resorts other than Riviera. If you buy riviera resale, you cannot stay elsewhere. Or if you buy somewhere else resale, you cannot stay at Riviera with those points.

You could also buy resale first, then you get a better deal buying direct points if you care about blue card benefits.

Last edited:
We bought in 150 points direct initially at Aulani as we wanted direct benefits. We then added on a whole bunch resale in the same use year. Best of both worlds. You just have to decide what works best for you. If all resale and no direct benefits don’t matter then go resale all the way, you’ll have more points!

Glad you're in the position to treat yourself and your family with the $50k available to you. That's an enviable position, and you should definitely have some fun with it!

With resale prices, you could do BLT at $130/pt and acquire 350 pts for less than $50k after all closing costs/fees. You wouldn't have direct/blue-card benefits, but as many on the Dis would point out, the benefits are of nominal value depending upon your needs. If you went with 300 points, then you would have almost $10k left to buy annual passes, etc., and this would balance the blue-card/direct benefits. It would consume a lot of your $50k if you went direct for even 150 points (at ~$200/pt).

Unless you really want to stay at RIV, direct points don't really matter, and even if you wanted to stay in RIV, you could rent points there occasionally (and much less cost than direct).

Good luck whatever you pick. You'll build many great memories using your DVC!

I forgot to point out that from my research, it was easier to buy resale first because if you add on direct they will match your use-year, but if you buy direct first you are limited to either 1/8th of the resale contracts that match your direct use year or you will end up with multiple accounts, which complicates things a bit

The direct incentives are pretty good right now,
not as good as this summer but not bad….

depending how you vacation with a family of 6, annual pass discount, and or DVC blue card discounts can add up.

i usually have 7 or 8 and park passes alone get spendie when you cant get DVC annual passes,
we also on average save 75 to 100 dollars a day on food ….

that said, as someone else pointed out you could get the blue card, then blue resale for the balance of your 300 or 350 points….

make sure you have the same use year if you are going to do that

again as others have said if you want riviera you need riviera points, or direct points….

good luck

For 50k you have, why can’t you buy 150 points direct and then 150-200 points resale at the same time?

I think the question you need to consider is how much you like to stay at Riviera or resorts other than Riviera. If you buy riviera resale, you cannot stay elsewhere. Or if you buy somewhere else resale, you cannot stay at Riviera with those points.
I was thinking something along these lines. I don’t if 50k is enough to get me to 300 splitting it up like that (a lot of resale contracts at the “newer”resorts are showing I can get about 350 for 50k depending on resort.) I’ve actually never stayed at Riviera. I visited it, but never stayed there. It seems nice, but the restrictions give me pause both on the direct and resale end.
We bought in 150 points direct initially at Aulani as we wanted direct benefits. We then added on a whole bunch resale in the same use year. Best of both worlds. You just have to decide what works best for you. If all resale and no direct benefits don’t matter then go resale all the way, you’ll have more points!
Congrats! Are the Aulani dues as brutal as people say? Aulani is probably the cheapest direct points that will ever be available again but I hear the dues kinda cancel out the cost benefit.

If going once per year, it may not make sense to buy the annual passes as tickets may be cheaper unless you are going to to the parks every day you are there.

We got our resale points then got a Disney credit card to get some of the perks (food and merchandise discounts) anyway :D

From the information you have given I would Highly suggest CCV and resale. There's hardly any reason to buy direct and its very expensive. BLT would be my second choice of the resorts you are thinking about. I say CCV because you could probably get a great deal on a resale at the moment and it offers all types of accommodations you will need. The poly only offers studios and Bungalows with which you will never have enough points to stay in. CCV also has an excellent Point chart and as BLT one of the cheapest AF. If you are buying 300 points I would suggest to buy 2 separate contracts of 150 each . ( make sure they are the same use Year it makes it easier) . Absolutely stay away from Riviera resale as you will be forced to use those points only at Riviera. The new Poly tower will be coming on line next year and if you insist on buying Direct I would probably wait until then to buy. The new tower will have all types of accommodations. The point chart may be expensive though. I also highly suggest you use the board sponsor for your purchase as they have a huge inventory and are very well respected in the DVC community . I have used them .

How old are the kids? Any 18 or older? I ask because each villa must have at least one person age 18+ registered in it, so you’d need to think about sleeping arrangements if you book 2 studios for your family of six. Poly is the only DVC (currently, anyway) with connecting studios.

The next question I have is whether you’ve looked at the points charts for the resorts you’re considering. If not, you can find them here: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/vacation-planning/points-charts/. You should be aware of how many points you’ll need for the trips you envision, since points costs vary based on resort, villa size, and season of the year.

I think the suggestion to buy 150 direct for DVC-Y is a good one, but also to buy some resale points first to establish your UY and then get the member price for your direct points.

I was thinking something along these lines. I don’t if 50k is enough to get me to 300 splitting it up like that (a lot of resale contracts at the “newer”resorts are showing I can get about 350 for 50k depending on resort.) I’ve actually never stayed at Riviera. I visited it, but never stayed there. It seems nice, but the restrictions give me pause both on the direct and resale end.

Congrats! Are the Aulani dues as brutal as people say? Aulani is probably the cheapest direct points that will ever be available again but I hear the dues kinda cancel out the cost benefit.
Make sure you check the ROFR thread for what prices people are paying for similar resale contracts.

Glad you're in the position to treat yourself and your family with the $50k available to you. That's an enviable position, and you should definitely have some fun with it!

With resale prices, you could do BLT at $130/pt and acquire 350 pts for less than $50k after all closing costs/fees. You wouldn't have direct/blue-card benefits, but as many on the Dis would point out, the benefits are of nominal value depending upon your needs. If you went with 300 points, then you would have almost $10k left to buy annual passes, etc., and this would balance the blue-card/direct benefits. It would consume a lot of your $50k if you went direct for even 150 points (at ~$200/pt).

Unless you really want to stay at RIV, direct points don't really matter, and even if you wanted to stay in RIV, you could rent points there occasionally (and much less cost than direct).

Good luck whatever you pick. You'll build many great memories using your DVC!
Thank you! We’re far from affluent (I’m a school teacher), but we’re coming into a little bit of money and after putting some college money away for the kids we’ll have a little to play with. We’re very fortunate that we are managing well enough for now that we can view that money as “extra”. My heart isn’t really set on Riviera, I’m just trying to not blow the opportunity because having this kind of money to use for fun probably won’t happen again any time soon. Thanks again for the well wishes!
I forgot to point out that from my research, it was easier to buy resale first because if you add on direct they will match your use-year, but if you buy direct first you are limited to either 1/8th of the resale contracts that match your direct use year or you will end up with multiple accounts, which complicates things a bit
This is good info to have, thank you. Juggling use years sounds like a headache.
The direct incentives are pretty good right now,
not as good as this summer but not bad….

depending how you vacation with a family of 6, annual pass discount, and or DVC blue card discounts can add up.

i usually have 7 or 8 and park passes alone get spendie when you cant get DVC annual passes,
we also on average save 75 to 100 dollars a day on food ….

that said, as someone else pointed out you could get the blue card, then blue resale for the balance of your 300 or 350 points….

make sure you have the same use year if you are going to do that

again as others have said if you want riviera you need riviera points, or direct points….

good luck
Yeah, as the kids get older I feel like the annual passes will make more and more sense, especially if we’re popping down for like 2 or 3 weekends or whatever instead of a week long trip. The incentives are looking pretty good price-wise, I’m just scared of buying Riviera with the restrictions. Maybe the incentives will be good when Poly2 goes active.

If you are sure you will always want at least *some* points to your name you could do the Riviera direct if you like it. The restrictions only happen when the Riviera contracts are resold. So if you buy direct and hold onto it, there are no restrictions. But I would avoid resale Riviera unless you love it and only want to stay there every time (because you would have to)

Thank you! We’re far from affluent (I’m a school teacher), but we’re coming into a little bit of money and after putting some college money away for the kids we’ll have a little to play with. We’re very fortunate that we are managing well enough for now that we can view that money as “extra”. My heart isn’t really set on Riviera, I’m just trying to not blow the opportunity because having this kind of money to use for fun probably won’t happen again any time soon. Thanks again for the well wishes!

This is good info to have, thank you. Juggling use years sounds like a headache.

Yeah, as the kids get older I feel like the annual passes will make more and more sense, especially if we’re popping down for like 2 or 3 weekends or whatever instead of a week long trip. The incentives are looking pretty good price-wise, I’m just scared of buying Riviera with the restrictions. Maybe the incentives will be good when Poly2 goes active.
Actually the Annual Passes only make sense if you are actually going 2 or more weeks a year. By separating a week stay into 3 weekends is no savings at all . As a matter of fact you will be overpaying for your passes. You will only qualify for a Sorcerer AP as a Direct member .

If going once per year, it may not make sense to buy the annual passes as tickets may be cheaper unless you are going to to the parks every day you are there.

We got our resale points then got a Disney credit card to get some of the perks (food and merchandise discounts) anyway :D
Very true. I think the last math I did we only really break even with the annual pass around day 9 or 10 so it may not be worthwhile for us. The lounges sound cool though. We also have the Disney credit card, but were surprised at how few of the dining options offered the discount with it. Saving $30+ on each table service meal would be kinda nice.
From the information you have given I would Highly suggest CCV and resale. There's hardly any reason to buy direct and it’s very expensive. BLT would be my second choice of the resorts you are thinking about. I say CCV because you could probably get a great deal on a resale at the moment and it offers all types of accommodations you will need. The poly only offers studios and Bungalows with which you will never have enough points to stay in. CCV also has an excellent Point chart and as BLT one of the cheapest AF. If you are buying 300 points I would suggest to buy 2 separate contracts of 150 each . ( make sure they are the same use Year it makes it easier) . Absolutely stay away from Riviera resale as you will be forced to use those points only at Riviera. The new Poly tower will be coming on line next year and if you insist on buying Direct I would probably wait until then to buy. The new tower will have all types of accommodations. The point chart may be expensive though. I also highly suggest you use the board sponsor for your purchase as they have a huge inventory and are very well respected in the DVC community . I have used them .
CCV is definitely a front runner. You’re right about waiting for Poly to go live when the tower comes online, if I decide to go direct I will definitely be waiting to see what that looks like. Good idea with splitting up the contracts, thank you.
How old are the kids? Any 18 or older? I ask because each villa must have at least one person age 18+ registered in it, so you’d need to think about sleeping arrangements if you book 2 studios for your family of six. Poly is the only DVC (currently, anyway) with connecting studios.

The next question I have is whether you’ve looked at the points charts for the resorts you’re considering. If not, you can find them here: https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/vacation-planning/points-charts/. You should be aware of how many points you’ll need for the trips you envision, since points costs vary based on resort, villa size, and season of the year.

I think the suggestion to buy 150 direct for DVC-Y is a good one, but also to buy some resale points first to establish your UY and then get the member price for your direct points.
Kids are between 3 and 10. We’ve done multiple rooms before, the wife doesn’t mind getting a break from my snoring :P. I looked at the point charts for the resorts I like and 300 would get us our required accommodations for most resorts at most times of the year. Knowing that direct will match my use year if I buy resale first is a really handy piece of information, thank you.
Make sure you check the ROFR thread for what prices people are paying for similar resale contracts.
I did not know about that thread until you told me, thank you so much!

We do at least two 8-day trips a year. Plus, a couple of adult trips. That blue card saves us 6500 to 7500 a year in passes, plus another 2k on food.

The member lounge in Epcot seems to be a huge hit with the kids, and Moonlight Magic was pretty cool too.

On 300 points, Plan on Dues of $2400 to $3000 a year, with or without a blue card.

Riviera is nice. I bought it as a graduation present for my son, and now everyone in the family loves it, so I have to buy more.

As someone else said If you buy Riviera Direct, the restriction would not apply to you. If you ever go to sell it, well just don't sell it ....

I'm leaning on more Riviera points right now over the poly tower because the Riviera checks a lot of our boxes, and my wife has points at the poly already.

I have two use years, against my Guides advice. If I didn't have enough points in each use year to do what I want, it would be a pita. Can you make it work YES, but it is not ideal.

Add into that My wife has a different UY for her poly points and we have a DVC spreadsheet..... One use year is best if possible.

With four kids, I’d consider BLT very strongly as opposed to CCV. Not only are the villas at CCV smaller (except the studios, BLT studios are horribly tiny), the BLT 2BR villas have THREE full bathrooms. When you have teenagers, you’ll thank me.

We do at least two 8-day trips a year. Plus, a couple of adult trips. That blue card saves us 6500 to 7500 a year in passes, plus another 2k on food.

The member lounge in Epcot seems to be a huge hit with the kids, and Moonlight Magic was pretty cool too.

On 300 points, Plan on Dues of $2400 to $3000 a year, with or without a blue card.

Riviera is nice. I bought it as a graduation present for my son, and now everyone in the family loves it, so I have to buy more.

As someone else said If you buy Riviera Direct, the restriction would not apply to you. If you ever go to sell it, well just don't sell it ....

I'm leaning on more Riviera points right now over the poly tower because the Riviera checks a lot of our boxes, and my wife has points at the poly already.

I have two use years, against my Guides advice. If I didn't have enough points in each use year to do what I want, it would be a pita. Can you make it work YES, but it is not ideal.

Add into that My wife has a different UY for her poly points and we have a DVC spreadsheet..... One use year is best if possible.
150 points at Riviera may be an option. The first thing we did on our first family trip was have breakfast at Topolino’s, and wifey loved it so much she wants to kick off every trip that way. Maybe I could do 150 at Riviera and 150 resale at a monorail resort.

With four kids, I’d consider BLT very strongly as opposed to CCV. Not only are the villas at CCV smaller (except the studios, BLT studios are horribly tiny), the BLT 2BR villas have THREE full bathrooms. When you have teenagers, you’ll thank me.
Think about the 50-100 points per week you will need for that extra bathroom . I'm biased as I cant stand BLT anyway. The rooms and Building are ugly ; There is no Lobby ; the pool is way too small and the food is ehhh and the Bus service stinks. The Dues are cheap and you can Walk to MK. (only good things)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter