HS Moonlight Magic 9/26 Trip Report

iheartglaciers

DIS Veteran
We had a fun time at tonight’s MM event at HS! This also happened to be the first night of our first stay as DVC members (we previously rented or stayed with family who were members), so it was an extra special celebration :-)

Overall it was a nice perk and we felt like the crowds were at a good level.

We checked in at around 5:30pm at Boardwalk. There was one person checking people in and it moved very slowly. Likely due to a combination of a slow iPad and being diligent about double checking the number of bands and food vouchers distributed. I estimate we waited 15-20 minutes. I felt this could have been more efficient.

The walk to HS was maybe 5 minutes longer due to the construction. It wasn’t as bad as I expected based on some reports I’d heard. Loved being able to walk to a MM event!

We arrived around 7pm and getting in was easy. We ate at Backlot Express with our food voucher around 7:30pm and the lines were short to order food.

Rides were generally walk on, with the exception of Toy Story Land. Also Rockin Rollercoaster broke down towards the end of the night. Our group had our own “ship” for Star Tours, which was a highlight for us :-)

Character waits were reasonable. We did Bolt (5 min wait at ~8pm), Clarabelle/Horace (5 min wait at ~8:15pm), and Oswald (20-30 min wait at ~8:30pm). We skipped the muppets guy since the line was long. It was fun that there were extra character M&Gs that weren’t on the map.

Toy Story Land was crowded when we were there at around 9:30pm. Midway Mainia was a 35 min wait and the line moved very slow. Slinky Dog was a 40 min wait. Both estimates seemed accurate based on how long we actually waited. I’m glad we got to do Slinky with a 40 min wait since we couldn’t get a FP for our trip. It was a fun ride, but I wouldn’t wait again for longer than 20 mins.

Water stations around the park were much appreciated and we loved the ice cream bars.

All merchandise seemed to be plentiful except the ornament which was sold out. The merch I remember off the top of my head was a pin, shirt, and DVC Game of Life.

I’m grateful that we were able to participate in the event!

Last edited:
Glad you had a good time! Were the characters signing autographs or just pictures?

Glad you had a good time! Were the characters signing autographs or just pictures?

For Oswald they specifically told us he wasn’t signing autographs and gave us a postcard with a printed signature. I’m not sure about the other characters with shorter lines.

We had a fun time at tonight’s MM event at HS! This also happened to be the first night of our first stay as DVC members (we previously rented or stayed with family who were members), so it was an extra special celebration :-)

Overall it was a nice perk and we felt like the crowds were at a good level.

We checked in at around 5:30pm at Boardwalk. There was one person checking people in and it moved very slowly. Likely due to a combination of a slow iPad and being diligent about double checking the number of bands and food vouchers distributed. I estimate we waited 15-20 minutes. I felt this could have been more efficient.

The walk to HS was maybe 5 minutes longer due to the construction. It wasn’t as bad as I expected based on some reports I’d heard. Loved being able to walk to a MM event!

We arrived around 7pm and getting in was easy. We ate at Backlot Express with our food voucher around 7:30pm and the lines were short to order food.

Rides were generally walk on, with the exception of Toy Story Land. Also Rockin Rollercoaster broke down towards the end of the night. Our group had our own “ship” for Star Tours, which was a highlight for us :-)

Character waits were reasonable. We did Bolt (5 min wait at ~8pm), Clarabelle/Horace (5 min wait at ~8:15pm), and Oswald (20-30 min wait at ~8:30pm). We skipped the muppets guy since the line was long. It was fun that there were extra character M&Gs that weren’t on the map.

Toy Story Land was crowded when we were there at around 9:30pm. Midway Mainia was a 35 min wait and the line moved very slow. Slinky Dog was a 40 min wait. Both estimates seemed accurate based on how long we actually waited. I’m glad we got to do Slinky with a 40 min wait since we couldn’t get a FP for our trip. It was a fun ride, but I wouldn’t wait again for longer than 20 mins.

Water stations around the park were much appreciated and we loved the ice cream bars.

All merchandise seemed to be plentiful except the ornament which was sold out. The merch I remember off the top of my head was a pin, shirt, and DVC Game of Life.

I’m grateful that we were able to participate in the event!

Thanks for this report. Was the ornament available at all that night? I collect them just about everywhere when we travel, so I will have to be sure to pick one up as soon as we get in to MM. Also, where do they sell the shirts and ornaments? Multiple stores or just one in particular? It’s interesting because when we went to the one at TL, the shirts were gone, but they still had ornaments on the stand. Who knows why some nights it’s the shirts and others it’s the ornaments that are the hot commodity!

We were lucky enough to get tickets for last night as well. We checked in at WL just after five. The process wasn’t too long and the gentleman here mentioned we could get in at six. I thought it was seven, but we went over to see anyway and sure enough we were let right in!

It was definitely a bonus as we were able to get the kids into the last Jedi training which we haven’t done in a while.

The food lines were quick and the dance party was fun! We managed to do the Slinky coaster twice and TSMM twice as well. The lines moved quickly thanks to super smooth loading.

Overall we had a blast, although I’m sure I’ll regret the two super late nights in a row for the kids when they start melting down today!

Thanks for this report. Was the ornament available at all that night? I collect them just about everywhere when we travel, so I will have to be sure to pick one up as soon as we get in to MM. Also, where do they sell the shirts and ornaments? Multiple stores or just one in particular? It’s interesting because when we went to the one at TL, the shirts were gone, but they still had ornaments on the stand. Who knows why some nights it’s the shirts and others it’s the ornaments that are the hot commodity!

I’m not sure about the ornament because I went at the end of the night. But the pin and ornament weren’t displayed, they were on a printed sheet at the cash register... it didn’t look like they just crossed out the ornament, it looked like the sold out was already printed on the sheet, so maybe they didn’t have any for the whole event?

They were selling the MM merch at Mickey’s of Hollywood, but I remember seeing a stand selling the MM t-shirts in Toy Story Land (I didn’t stop to look there, so I don’t know if they had other MM merch there).

thanks for the report!! my DD really wants to do the last frozen show on oct 3rd, but didn't know if we would have time-and seems like we will!! curious about the dance party though-who were the characters when you went?? I saw video that had chip and dale, but saw another that had Mickey, Minnie and goofy. So exciting!!!

The characters seemed to rotate. We saw Goofy and Mickey as well as Chip and Dale. The dance party was not busy at all. The only other characters we did were Star Lord, seventh sister, Olaf, Chewy, BB8, and Rey. The lines for the Ewoks etc were too long for us to spend time in. Have a great time!

When I went on Rockin Roller Coaster it said 10 min, it broke down when I was in line, they got it going again in about 5 minutes. Rockin Roller coaster later went down for a long time, they were able to get it brack up. TSL was very busy. SDD said 40 min when we got in line. Took about 30 min. TSM said 30 min took about 22 min. Alien Swirling Saucers said 20, but there was a short line. Tower of Terror was walk on. Never made it over to Star Tours, but had very short wait times. It was a good event. The problem was most of the people were in TSL and not other rides. The Annual Passholder one hour preview at TSL was great. We went from 0800-0900. The only issue was they opened the park and let everyone in and they were in TSL at 0840. For that event SDD was almost walk on, less than 5 minutes.

Thanks for your review! It sounds like it was less crowded and hectic than MNSSHP, but more crowded than the early morning AP event at TS Land.

Something else to consider someday when the kids are old enough to nap before and stay up for it.

Had a great time!
  • Picked up wristbands and vouchers at 5:15pm at the AK Kidani Village lobby
  • Arrived HS entrance at 6:15 and they let us just pass though into the park
  • Headed directly to Mickey’s of Hollywood where we purchased event T-Shirts, ornament, pin and DVC Life game ($15 with $30 purchase)
  • Afterwards we used two of our three vouchers at Rosie's for a Fried Green Tomato sandwich and Onion Straw Cheeseburger
  • Used fast passes to ride SDD at 7:25 (wait time was listed at 40 minutes)
  • 7:40 pm TSM via 10 standby line .
  • 8:00 pm Alien Swirling Saucers listed as 10 minute standby
  • 8:30 watched Starwars Fireworks
  • 8:45 Meet & Greet with "Bolt"
  • 9 pm used last voucher at Backlot Express for Chicken and Darth Vader waffles (to go)
  • 9:15 pm ate Mickey Ice Cream bars
  • Back at AK Kidani Village a little after 10 pm
Crowd levels seemed low after 8:30 pm and all the cast members we ran into were in a very cheerful mood....Great DVC perk !

Last edited:
Had a great time!
  • Picked up wristbands and vouchers at 5:15pm at the AK Kidani Village lobby
  • Arrived HS entrance at 6:15 and they let us just pass though into the park
  • Headed directly to Mickey’s of Hollywood where we purchased event T-Shirts, ornament, pin and DVC Life game ($15 with $30 purchase)
  • Afterwards we used two of our three vouchers at Rosie's for a Fried Green Tomato sandwich and Onion Straw Cheeseburger
  • Used fast passes to ride SDD at 7:25 (wait time was listed at 40 minutes)
  • 7:40 pm TSM via 10 standby line .
  • 8:00 pm Alien Swirling Saucers listed as 10 minute standby
  • 8:30 watched Starwars Fireworks
  • 8:45 Meet & Greet with "Bolt"
  • 9 pm used last voucher at Backlot Express for Chicken and Darth Vader waffles (to go)
  • 9:15 pm ate Mickey Ice Cream bars
  • Back at AK Kidani Village a little after 10 pm
Crowd levels seemed low after 8:30 pm and all the cast members we ran into were in a very cheerful mood....Great DVC perk !

Anyway to buy the game with out spending $30? All I want is pin and game. Maybe ornament but I’m guessing they won’t be there on wednesday

Anyway to buy the game with out spending $30? All I want is pin and game. Maybe ornament but I’m guessing they won’t be there on wednesday

The cast members were being very firm on the $30 purchase requirement just like with the throws, towels, backpacks and tote bags they have offered in the past. The $30 purchase can be anything they sell in the store and not just the DVC items.

We put our game in the owners locker to play on future visits and now wish we would have brought it home to play.

The cast members were being very firm on the $30 purchase requirement just like with the throws, towels, backpacks and tote bags they have offered in the past. The $30 purchase can be anything they sell in the store and not just the DVC items.

We put our game in the owners locker to play on future visits and now wish we would have brought it home to play.

At least can get anything. I want one and hope they have a bunch still on Wednesday.

We went too! Picked up all 6 bands and meal vouchers at BLT around 6 pm, 2 of us. My other 4 were meeting us at the park. All 6 were not needed to check in; I had made plans for us all 6 to meet at the Muppet check in point, but BLT CMs said I could have all 6 so that seemed easier. (none of my 6 needed the free park entrance perk).

We ate before 8, Backlot. Then walked around a bit and saw the Star Wars closing show. We Saw Clarabelle and Horace, then Bolt (he was signing autographs). I just HAD to wait for the Ewoks, that was about 20 minutes. 2 of them, so adorable. We went over to TS land, it was somewhat crowded, waited 30-40 for Slinky, then did the Alien ride. Then some ice cream and ToT, we had our own elevator, just me and my son. (we split from the others at the Ewok line point).

It was great fun, but missed free popcorn (was there any??) and no free soft drinks (except with the meal) and again if they had free popcorn, I never saw it. The ice cold water in the cooler thermos things was much appreciated, it was quite warm all night. If you had your own water bottle, you could fill up at these, did I say it was icy cold??

I never saw anything other than T shirts for sale, so I guess I missed out. The shirts were a cute design, but printed on basic white T shirts, which meant size L or XL would fit someone 6 feet tall. So sadly, had to skip them..... Again, GREAT fun but honestly, not worth planning a vacation around. (We had once before attended one at MK, last year, and that was perhaps a little more memorable for the special fireworks show....) Perhaps worth adding a day, before or after a planned trip if flights could be switched at no added expense, or if you were driving.

We went too! Picked up all 6 bands and meal vouchers at BLT around 6 pm, 2 of us. My other 4 were meeting us at the park. All 6 were not needed to check in; I had made plans for us all 6 to meet at the Muppet check in point, but BLT CMs said I could have all 6 so that seemed easier. (none of my 6 needed the free park entrance perk).

We ate before 8, Backlot. Then walked around a bit and saw the Star Wars closing show. We Saw Clarabelle and Horace, then Bolt (he was signing autographs). I just HAD to wait for the Ewoks, that was about 20 minutes. 2 of them, so adorable. We went over to TS land, it was somewhat crowded, waited 30-40 for Slinky, then did the Alien ride. Then some ice cream and ToT, we had our own elevator, just me and my son. (we split from the others at the Ewok line point).

It was great fun, but missed free popcorn (was there any??) and no free soft drinks (except with the meal) and again if they had free popcorn, I never saw it. The ice cold water in the cooler thermos things was much appreciated, it was quite warm all night. If you had your own water bottle, you could fill up at these, did I say it was icy cold??

I never saw anything other than T shirts for sale, so I guess I missed out. The shirts were a cute design, but printed on basic white T shirts, which meant size L or XL would fit someone 6 feet tall. So sadly, had to skip them..... Again, GREAT fun but honestly, not worth planning a vacation around. (We had once before attended one at MK, last year, and that was perhaps a little more memorable for the special fireworks show....) Perhaps worth adding a day, before or after a planned trip if flights could be switched at no added expense, or if you were driving.

That is cool that you didn't all need to be there to get your bands. The email said entire party has to be there, so I wonder what other peoples experiences are.

That is cool that you didn't all need to be there to get your bands. The email said entire party has to be there, so I wonder what other peoples experiences are.
My experience was the same. 4 out of our 6 parties were there at check in at SSR, they gave us the meal vouchers and bands for all.

We went to the party on the 16th and were able to buy it without spending $30. All I bought was a shirt and the CM offered to sell it to us anyways so we took her up on the offer.

And there were just 2 of us picking up the bands for our party of 5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter