Huge New Roller Coaster Planned for Shanghai Disneyland

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Planning / Permits Filed - (4/27/2024) Shanghai Disneyland is apparently looking to build a rather large new roller coaster that will feature forward and backwards launch sections. A layout drawing was discovered within government permits filed it seems and has been reposted on social media.From the look of things the trains will move into some kind of scene area and stop, only to be launched right into the backwards section of the ride first, before coming to a stop within another ride building where it will then launch forward into the much longer forward facing ride portion.

All said, the attraction is said to occupy a 5 to 6 acre site and appears to be a mostly outdoor coaster with a few indoor sections, mainly to enclose the two reverse and launch points, as well as the station. The theme of the coaster is not known at this time, it will be located on a currently unused expansion plot tucked right in between the new Zootopia themed land and the backstage ride-building for the Pirates of the Carribbean attraction. The way things are laid out right now on the layout, the access point to the new coaster would be through Zootopia, which could also make this the most logical theme for the new attraction as well and give the land a second phase expansion.

Of course, this could also be some kind of stand-alone themed attraction as well, much like Big Grizzly Mountain roller coaster at Hong Kong Disneyland, which also features forward and backwards sections, and a launch. In fact, the layout of the section of the new Shanghai coaster where it rolls backwards into an enclosed area to allow for the track to switch before it launches forward once again along a parallel track is essentially a mirror-image version of how it happens on the Vekoma built Big Grizzly Mountain in Hong Kong Disneyland (photo). The basic layout of the coaster, which features a lot of spiraling turns and cross over points is also reminiscent of a Big Thunder / Big Grizzly style mine-train roller coaster, which would be considered a staple check-box experience offered by every single one of Disney’s main “Disneyland” style theme parks except for Shanghai right now. Much like Hong Kong, Shanghai Disneyland was also built without any kind of “Frontierland” style land, so a stand-alone coaster like Big Grizzly would also fit well to serve that function.

https://screamscape.com/html/shanghai_disneyland.htm#Coaster

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it is rumored to be a Spider-Man coaster, which I think would then headline a whole Marvel area. Whatever the theme, it should be a good coaster, though I would be even more excited if it is a Zootopia land expansion!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter