Hugging Goofy?

I would imagine that AFTER the global pandemic is over we can get hugs again. Meanwhile, I don't understand why people have to travel and spread covid-19

They will allow hugs again once everyone is vaccinated and COVID is not nearly the threat it once was.

As a middle aged balding, very shy man.... the most meaningful interaction I ever had was at Ariels Grotto. I have always loved Ariel, but I was self conscious about getting a picture with her. I mean the young lady would surely be grossed out and disturbed and I never wanted her to feel that way.

After YEARS I worked up the courage. My DW was not a Ariel fan and abandoned me... making it worse. So I sat in the bench as far away from Ariel as I could (see where I am? She was all the way on the other side). I felt very exposed and vulnerable and that she must surely be thinking horrible things about me. She immediately scooted over to me and grabbed my arm. To this day, I can’t tell you how thankful I am to her or what that small gesture meant to me. I hope she knows how special of a person she is.

so to all the future vulnerable, shy people who never worked up the courage to get a picture with your favorite characters, Disney simply must open these interactions up again.

2C69B324-6ED0-469D-B94B-1282B10813C0.jpeg

I will always remember my honeymoon and we went to tuskar house. I went up to get food and daisy was sitting in my seat flirting a storm with my husband. When he went up donald came over and did the same. Was really funny! These things I miss. I don't mind not touching them.

Do you think we will EVER get to hug the characters again? I just can't bear not going to Disneyworld and not getting to hug GOOFY!!!!
Unfortunately, its going to be a while. People will never learn though. Heard immunity is what keeps everyone well. Not just from Covid, but from many illnesses. The people staying away from the heard the most on a daily basis are the ones that will be getting sick the most from everything. Hopefully one day, people will quit being so nutty and go back to living normal lives, but unfortunately Disney's liability Attorneys aren't ready to let that happen.

I have to admit, I never hug the characters. As a kid I did, and certainly I don't have a problem with my own kids doing it, though they are not generally meet and greet fans, but I'm 40+ year old man and I stopped at about 12. Most of the characters, even those in costume, are women. I've shaken hands, exchanged high fives, stood shoulder to shoulder for pics, and if they take the initiative and hold my arm I have no problem, but I won't initiate. It just isn't my thing and when I watch some people and the things I regularly see I find it kind of odd... to put it nicely.

But to each their own. And Disney's policy, outside COVID of course, is certainly more liberal than my own code of conduct, so do what you feel comfortable so long as you don't cross a line.

I never seek out hugs from the characters, but when they offer it up I won't turn it down. Some of our best pictures include characters hugs, so many genuine smiles to be seen.

When Chewbacca reaches out for a hug, you give him a hug! It's not wise to upset a Wookiee.

My family told Sorcerer Mickey in 2019 that we were there for ME and that we didn't get to see Mickey on our first trip so he was the first character we were seeing. Mickey held his arms out for a hug. That sweaty and probably tired CM in a costume who probably was having a long day didn't have to offer that to me, but did because it might make my day a little more magical. I've never asked a character for one. But I have watched my 13yo cry a bit when she finally hugged Tigger and Pooh. I thanked Mickey that day (and Pooh/Tigger and their handlers). I'm not normally a hugger, but to me, Disney is magic and the CMs are one of the biggest reasons why. I hope we can have that back some day, but only for the people that want it.

The first time i met Chewie, I was SO excited. We waited in line. I was all ready to ask him how Han and Falcon were and get a goofy picture, and when it was our turn, DH and I walked in, I took one look at him and burst into ugly fan girl crying. CHewiw gave me a big hug. Made my day.

I can't wait for those days to come back.

Rumor going around says you’ll need to be a Chase Card AND PNC Financial Services member in order to hug characters when the time comes. If you want to just meet them with no touchy touchy, you’ll of course only need to be a Chase Card holder, that has already been confirmed by DISboards.com/NewsAndRumor

I am surprised by the number of non-huggy people here. You all of course are welcome to do it your way - no judgement. I have the most fun with Joy. Whenever I see Joy, I crouch for a sprint. She does the same. Then in RUN UP and hug her in a nice bear hug and she always returns.

I mean... how can you not? Joy is just so huggable and.... full of joy.

I am surprised by the number of non-huggy people here. You all of course are welcome to do it your way - no judgement. I have the most fun with Joy. Whenever I see Joy, I crouch for a sprint. She does the same. Then in RUN UP and hug her in a nice bear hug and she always returns.

I mean... how can you not? Joy is just so huggable and.... full of joy.

Personally I don't see the characters as Mickey/Donald/whoever. I see them as people in costumes. I just personally don't feel comfortable hugging a stranger in a costume. I think it's cute when my 5 year old does it, but that magic of seeing just the character is to far gone for me to enjoy the experience. More power to those who have never lost their inner child though. Grab all the Goofy hugs we pass up. 🙂

My initials are MM. As a 66 year old man I cannot help myself but everytime there is a chance to meet Mickey I tell him we are kindred spirits. So, it may sound silly, but I will give a little hug to Mickey (most are female so I make sure to be very careful not to be aggressive or come on too strong). Every time Mickey has played along. Love the characters and miss the interaction.

The first time i met Chewie, I was SO excited. We waited in line. I was all ready to ask him how Han and Falcon were and get a goofy picture, and when it was our turn, DH and I walked in, I took one look at him and burst into ugly fan girl crying. CHewiw gave me a big hug. Made my day.

I can't wait for those days to come back.
You know, I have never been one for character hugs as an adult (loved them as a kid), but the thought of meeting Chewie... Man, I would love a big furry Chewie hug so so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter