Hurricane Irma- Now a tropical depression

AL112017lts.gif

AL112017mlts.gif

Eeeeek, current Irma path this morning has the eye of the storm passing right over my home! Hoping and praying that doesn't occur.

Interaction with Cuba has weakened the storm. Though it's about to move back over some of the warmest waters in the region. The forecasters are saying it will regain strength. I am hoping it doesn't and makes landfall as a cat 3. It would still be bad but not as destructive as high cat 4 or 5. Will have to wait for the next NHC.

Last edited:
Me too! I hope the hurricane weakens to a Cat 3.

I wasn't living at the home then, but 2004 hurricane Charlie's eye came within 10 to 20 miles of my current place. There was damage I've been told but nothing terrible. So long as the neighborhood doesn't receive a direct hit I suspect the home will still be standing.

As much as the hurricane's predicted path changes I'd like to luck out and see the storm move off shore by 20, 30 miles.

Just got an update from my sister near Destin. Her son was heading home from Orlando yesterday. The 6 hour drive took him 18 hours. He had to stop for gas, but did manage to find some. He got home at 5 a.m.

My cousins from Miami (12 miles from the beach) made it to Tampa and have stopped to stay with friends there.

It looks like they are still going to get hit, but hopefully it will be safer where they are.

Just got an update from my sister near Destin. Her son was heading home from Orlando yesterday. The 6 hour drive took him 18 hours. He had to stop for gas, but did manage to find some. He got home at 5 a.m.

My cousins from Miami (12 miles from the beach) made it to Tampa and have stopped to stay with friends there.

It looks like they are still going to get hit, but hopefully it will be safer where they are.

Unfortunately at this point with change in the track, looks like Tampa will take a bigger hit now than Miami. I hope they stay safe!

Unfortunately at this point with change in the track, looks like Tampa will take a bigger hit now than Miami. I hope they stay safe!

That's what it looks like. I know they are on "higher ground" and further inland than they were at their home. I don't know anything about the house they are staying at though. Hopefully it can weather the storm.

I truly hope that, if Irma weakens a bit, people still take the threat very seriously. Sandy wasn't even technically still a hurricane when it hit NJ.
That's what I continue to say. Yesterday when it was announce that most of the Bahamas would probably only get tropical storm conditions , plenty people started to let their guard down, not thinking what mess a tropical storm can still cause (particularly Irma, what with her size it means we are getting to experience her effects for several hours and will continue to do so into tomorrow). I am not going to take anything down or feel comfortable until I know she is no longer a hurricane and Jose is well gone into the north in the Atlantic. Anything could happen given the right conditions at the spur of the moment.

This is something we have been looking at this morning. It is the path of 2004 hurricane Charlie. Irma is on a somewhat similar path as Charlie concerning SW Florida - going up the coast, with Irma differing as it is expected to stay on the west side of the state.

Charlie came ashore into SW Florida with winds at 150MPH. That is expected to be similar to Irma.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...019bc3cdb2e1474e4343c1f975d05d98&action=click

Looks like yet another shift to the west. This could keep it out over the warm fuel waters a tad more. Any more shift to west and this could put people in harms way that may have thought they were safe being as west and north as they are. Though if you remember the cone from a day or two ago, this western track was possibility.

I've lived in FL for 8 years (not by choice) and this is my first official hurricane experience. The uncertainty and the waiting has been the worst part. I'm hoping for the safety of all our residents and visitors alike.

My sister is in Orlando doing the Disney College Program. The park is closing at 9pm on Saturday (although she has a closing shift) and will be closed all day Sunday and Monday and hopefully reopening on Tuesday. Apparently they are taking down anything that could get blown around, including the Halloween decorations.

She and 3 of her roommates are just going to bunker down in their apartment in the best area they have (their dining nook) and hope for the best. Unfortunately they are on the ground floor; her last apartment (she moved a couple of months ago) was upstairs and had giant wardrobes so would have been much better! They do have a LOT of towels (2 of her roommates are lifeguards) so will be putting them under the door, although Disney have told them they aren't allowed to tape windows. She did meet one of their upstairs neighbours the other day (while their bus was broken down, but that's another issue!) who did say they're welcome to come up if their apartment starts to flood, although Disney wants them all in their own apartments and will even be locking the gates to make sure nobody goes into other complexes.

They've got what food and water they could and one of her roommates managed to get an empty water cooler bottle from work which they're filling up with fresh water. They'll also be filling up all 3 bathtubs with water. They've got a couple of flashlights, but Disney have reminded them that they are still not allowed any candles!

They've started a Facebook group chat with all 4 of their families so they can keep us updated without depleting their phone batteries too much. I guess we will all be watching and waiting for updates. It's very hard being on the other side of the world and unable to do anything to help!

Glad your daughter is prepped as much as she can be.

For you daughter and anybody else, please do not tape windows for a hurricane! It actually makes things more dangerous as they are more likely to break into larger projectile prone pieces!

Florida code requires certain specs for windows. If you don't have storm shutters/boards-nothing is best. If you're really concerned, large blankets or towels acting like blinds can help.

The same goes for cracking windows! Don't do it!

Thankfully as I previously mentioned, most of the Bahamas was spared except for some wind and very little rain (at least in Nassau). Some businesses are already back operational on limited hours today and full hours tomorrow as is the airport. Some people around my condo have already started taking shutters down, I may start putting my outside decorations back out but won't take the shutters down for another day or so.

I continue to pray that she continued to decrease in strength as she she makes her way through Florida and hope the best for everyone in her path.

This is something we have been looking at this morning. It is the path of 2004 hurricane Charlie. Irma is on a somewhat similar path as Charlie concerning SW Florida - going up the coast, with Irma differing as it is expected to stay on the west side of the state.

Charlie came ashore into SW Florida with winds at 150MPH. That is expected to be similar to Irma.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...019bc3cdb2e1474e4343c1f975d05d98&action=click

Charlie did the infamous "CHARLIE MANEUVER" right turn out of the blue. Not likely with Irma because of size and atmospheric conditions. Our house is southwest of the El Jobean Bridge and chances are good that it and our motor home might not fair too well.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in Florida and all who have family down there. My brother and his family are in Leesburg which would usually considered relatively safe, but this hurricane definitely has me worried for them. My SIL has family in Naples and Miami. We are also concerned for them. Hoping and praying for the best! Stay safe everyone!

I am watching some of webcams in the keys right now, and the full impact hasn't even hit yet. YIKES! I hope the webcams will remain on so people can still see what is going on. Please leave if you are still able. Not worth it.

Charlie did the infamous "CHARLIE MANEUVER" right turn out of the blue. Not likely with Irma because of size and atmospheric conditions. Our house is southwest of the El Jobean Bridge and chances are good that it and our motor home might not fair too well.

Agree, and I see the latest forecast has Irma on the same path as this morning pretty much. Best to you and your family! I hope there isn't to much damage where you are at.

I'm already writing off the down stairs of my place on Sanibel. I wish I had been able to get my car out of there before leaving. I'm know it's going to be washed away. Fingers crosse the upstairs does well. The down stairs will be relatively easy to repair. The upstairs would take more effort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter