Hurricane Matthew Closes WDW - Reopens Saturday, October 8th

I have been driving over the last 24 hours or so - when our Baltimore flight got canceled yesterday I booked a one way car and drove around Matthew to Atlanta. We got on the road again at 1am and just arrived to a deserted Magical express! Hopped right on the bus should be in the park by noon. No sign of hurricane other than the airport signs warning flight delays. Route 75 in was clear early this morning but we saw packed hotels and rest stops with cars with trunks open preparing to get on the road. Tolls are still suspended as of this morning.
Wow! That's amazing! I'm so happy that Disney had a ME at the airport for you. I guess I never thought about hopping on an ME without an inbound flight. Have a great time!

Talked to our first less than friendly CM of our whole trip. I will spare you the whole story. We purchased a 6 day park hopper. We fly out tomorrow and won't be able to use the last day. When dh asked about a refund at the help test at Pop this morning the CM said "I don't know. There was a hurricane yesterday, and I didn't work, but I doubt it because your ticket says non refundable." She then gave him the 1 800 Disney number. I called but the wait was going to be 3O minutes and we were heading to MK.

Does anyone know the policy or how it worked out for others? If we don't get refunded, it is what it is, but it would be nice since the park closed.

First up today we'll head to Dolphin to check in.
We have reservations at ESPN to catch the game at 3:30 so I'm thinking we'll stick around this area and head to Epcot though maybe HS would be a better choice. Just not sure

Just an FYI for anyone that had to extend their stay, we found out we were supposed to be given 50% off of the room so I got the 50% refunded this morning. They were Very
Talked to our first less than friendly CM of our whole trip. I will spare you the whole story. We purchased a 6 day park hopper. We fly out tomorrow and won't be able to use the last day. When dh asked about a refund at the help test at Pop this morning the CM said "I don't know. There was a hurricane yesterday, and I didn't work, but I doubt it because your ticket says non refundable." She then gave him the 1 800 Disney number. I called but the wait was going to be 3O minutes and we were heading to MK.

Does anyone know the policy or how it worked out for others? If we don't get refunded, it is what it is, but it would be nice since the park closed.
i know they've given 1 day passes to people to use on a future trip.

I'd go to GS at the park, can be found both inside and outside. Even supposed to have a new one back on Tomorrow Land

I mean it is possible they don't know and there was indeed a hurricane. Either wait on the phone number they gave you or stop by guest relations at the park and talk to them directly.

I mean it is possible they don't know and there was indeed a hurricane. Either wait on the phone number they gave you or stop by guest relations at the park and talk to them directly.

I understand that, but she was nasty about it.

I was hoping someone might reply with a similar experience and how it was resolved. Thanks though!

hopperfan we hope the best for your family and house !

And for anyone who needs humor....we lost power here in San Antonio for five hours....and there wasn't even a hurricane, winds, thunderstorms etc!

Wow! That's amazing! I'm so happy that Disney had a ME at the airport for you. I guess I never thought about hopping on an ME without an inbound flight. Have a great time!
Ah, but the person you quoted didn't just jump on DME. They would have had a reservation - based on (a) they rented the car because they couldn't fly out of BWI as intended, and (they hitherto the rental all the way to WDW, nor picked up a previously reserved vehicle.
Theme park tickets aren't addressed here https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/hurricane-matthew/, but I found that while looking for an article or report I'm sure I read.

We were planning to be at Food and Wine this weekend but Matthew cancelled those plans. :( Just called the Reservations line to see if our Culinary Demonstrations could be cancelled and refunded. Was able to speak with someone after only a two minute wait. Not only did she cancel and refund all of our reservations, she also was able to get our refunds for yesterday's missed events. Disney is awesome, whole call only took 10 minutes. Southwest refunded our points for our plane tickets, as well as Enterprise. We have park tickets, just means we have to plan another trip. :) So sad we aren't going to be able to make the festival this year, but thankful we were able to get refunds on all of our plans. Enjoy everyone, and if you are wanting to attend the Culinary Demos today thru Monday, two spots just opened up. :)

Sounds like you got the brunt of their frazzled nerves. There's a way for them not to know and still be pleasant. It might take a while, possibly even some emails to the right people if not resolved before you get home. But don't give up. With the emergency situation and all the refunds for various other things Disney has come through on the last couple of days; I feel confident you could at least receive a 1 day extended park credit to use in the future. I'm impressed with how Disney has been trying to make things right in a situation they had no more control over than all of us had. I hope the rest of your last day looks up and be safe going home!

Sounds like you got the brunt of their frazzled nerves. There's a way for them not to know and still be pleasant. It might take a while, possibly even some emails to the right people if not resolved before you get home. But don't give up. With the emergency situation and all the refunds for various other things Disney has come through on the last couple of days; I feel confident you could at least receive a 1 day extended park credit to use in the future. I'm impressed with how Disney has been trying to make things right in a situation they had no more control over than all of us had. I hope the rest of your last day looks up and be safe going home!

We have had the nicest CM's all week, and I was impressed how well they handled it all yesterday. If we don't get a credit, it will be ok. It would be nice though. :) We are going to enjoy the rest of the day and deal with it back at home. :)

Last edited:
We have had the nicest CM's all week, and I was impressed how well they handled it all yesterday. If we don't get a credit, it will be ok. It would be nice though. :) We are going to enjoy the rest of the day and deal with it back at home. :)
We get the best results from cast members at guest relations just inside Magic Kingdom. That might be a 30 minute wait at MK too. Others were getting a 2 year expiration, magic your way single day, park hopper ticket for unused days.

I think that is the best route to take. Your question may just have been the last straw for a frazzled tired CM. Not okay, but under the circumstances, I would just give a pass for situational anxiety. I think that there are times when folks just do not know the impact tone makes, and you may use have reached one of those people.

I think you're doing the best thing by dealing with it when you get home instead of letting it affect your day today.

When you get home you can try to call or, even better, describe your situation in writing. I would be surprised, and somewhat disappointed, if they didn't give you at least a credit, if not a refund or something else, for that 6th day.

Upon checkout today I inquired about a refund for the unused day as part of our package. They turned by 7 day ticket into a 6 day for us both and applied the 50some dollars to the hotel bill

We get the best results from cast members at guest relations just inside Magic Kingdom. That might be a 30 minute wait at MK too. Others were getting a 2 year expiration, magic your way single day, park hopper ticket for unused days.

If I could come through the phone and kiss you I would! :) I sent dh and the boys to a ride, and I waited in line about 20 minutes at MK guest relations. They gave me a non-expiring 1 day park hopper for all of us.

We had already planned to do Universal and the beach next year and would not have been able to go to WDW because of cost. Now I can get my Disney fix too.

Thank you so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter