Hurricane watch 2018

Following along from Canada as we are headed to WDW Sept 15-22. Just glad its not snow :P I am having faith that everything will be okay weather wise!

Me too!! About a month ago I considered extending our trip just in case we had to spend a couple days inside. DH (smartly) talked me out of it. But I would still consider it!

We went the same week in 2010 and had excellent weather, barring I think one day where it rained/stormed on and off most of the day. Hopefully this year isn't any worse than that!

But since I'm an over-planner/worrier, I'll be following this thread/the forecast religiously with my fingers crossed lol.

Thanks for the thread!
We'll be following along, just in case as well. it's our first October trip.
and since we don't have any hurricane thing here in our country we do not have any information about this, I just get so scared only to think about it lol

Me too!! About a month ago I considered extending our trip just in case we had to spend a couple days inside. DH (smartly) talked me out of it. But I would still consider it!

We went the same week in 2010 and had excellent weather, barring I think one day where it rained/stormed on and off most of the day. Hopefully this year isn't any worse than that!

But since I'm an over-planner/worrier, I'll be following this thread/the forecast religiously with my fingers crossed lol.

Love the pick of your Boston terrier.

Good luck everyone. My wife and I are going 09/19 thru 09/24. So will definitely be watching thread with fingers crossed.

Ohhh not again!!! We flew to Disney on September 17th last year and the last week was nerve wracking constantly checking on the progress of the hurricane!! Please let that not happen again :(

Try living here. LOL

Yeah tell me about it.

Ill take it one step further, try studying meteorology and looking at these super long range models and being about to tell what 'possibly" can and can not happen in the next 15 to 30 days. From July until Middle of October I am on edge.

Sometimes I wish i never studied this stuff and I can just wake up and listen to the person on TV. Last year down here during Irma I saw her coming from 10 days away. I knew she was heading right towards FL and nothing was stopping her. I told my entire neighborhood get ready NOW. They were all like oh no worries lol. Finally they listened.

As someone who has lived in Central Florida for over two decades and worked at WDW for that long as well, I do not follow or rely on threads on a WDW forum for my hurricane information. As the OP posted in the first post, NOAA NHC is an excellent source for real information.

Last edited:
I have been watching the weather forecasts for hurricanes since early this week. We arrive (driving down ) on Sept 15th. Lots of activity out there right now but nothing has developed into anything too worrisome as of yet.

As someone who has lived in Central Florida for over two decades and worked at WDW for that long as well, I do not follow or rely on threads on a WDW forum for my hurricane information. As the OP posted in the first post, NOAA NHC is an excellently source for real information.

In FastPasser we trust!!!!!

The last 2 Food&Wine trips we missed major hurricanes by less than a week each time.
Exactly my experience. 2 years ago flew out a few days before the hurricane. Last year, flew in a few days after the hurricane. I've been very lucky. But luck only holds for so long. Always better to be informed. :shamrock:

We will be there Sept 22-30 and hoping it will be ok. We were there in 2016 and left on the Thurs, it hit on the Friday, and we were supposed to go to Savannah for 4 days but that was cancelled due to the hurricane. We went to Nashville instead and the drive through Atlanta was horrible. We are perfectly fine with the rain, never fails that it rains whenever we are there, just scared about being there during a hurricane.

Following along too. We fly down on September 9th and are there until the 16th. All 5 of my trips have been during Hurricane season so I’m always stressing for weeks before we leave.

Yeah, better start watching this. The last 2 Food&Wine trips we missed major hurricanes by less than a week each time.

Bill From PA

We've dealt with snow many times. I've had family and guests be the last plane out from here and the last one out from MCO (landing here). Sometimes it was a gut decision to change the plans. One year, I was texting my coworker friends that we joining me - a picture from Safari - one made the decision - grabbed my other co-worker - and they decided to flee just making it to their respective homes for luggage and to the airport - a few hours later they were basking in 75 degree weather while the N. E. was pummeled. Had they not decided right then and there, they wouldn't have made it out. This scenario has played out for years going back to the 90s when my job was right next door to the airport. My boss told one of our drivers to grab a car to pick up my mother my children. My mother raced to my house - packed up two preschoolers and made it to the airport so that we could get out before it was too late.

Y'all my peeps! You get it! :worship: Changing vacation time or military leave or house sitters or pet sitters or project plans or whatever takes time. Nobody is shaking an 8 Ball for the answers. We are ALL watching NOA not reading the National Enquirer. NOA does not alert to predictions. The USA Today story reporting the shifts on the weather conducive to tropical storms was spot on - a storm did form which NOA dutifully noted. NOA doesn't tell you that the wind sheer decreased in the Gulf - it alerts once something forms.

Waiting until the last minute winging it on positive vibes and hope is just not helpful.

Actually it's contrary to the entire DIS where people make ADRs 180 days in advance, take time out of work for 60 day FP+ windows and come to plan in excess sometimes two years before they travel.

Last edited:
As someone who has lived in Central Florida for over two decades and worked at WDW for that long as well, I do not follow or rely on threads on a WDW forum for my hurricane information. As the OP posted in the first post, NOAA NHC is an excellent source for real information.

I find threads like this are a good support group for like-minded people to discuss, vent, and plan (or make changes to plans) for the possible impact of tropical systems on what for most is a major personal investment. Many people have been through tropical storms or hurricanes on this board, and can give good info on the mindsets of people and disney, on historical impacts, and personal experiences. I do agree that as far as strength and path forecasting, evacuation information, and storm impacts, this is NOT the place to get your info. But these threads still have a lot of value for the other info I mentioned.

Hello @Spridell - should I be concerned about this at all? ;););)

We'll be in Disney next week

Last edited:
Hello @Spridell - should I be concerned about this at all? ;););)

We'll be in Disney next week

That wave will move across Florida and into the Gulf Monday into Tuesday.

Monday afternoon and for most of Tuesday will be pretty rainy. NOW, that DOES NOT mean steady rain ALL day. (most likely no sun at all but not rain all day) These systems bring waves of rain. So heavy downpour for 30 minutes or so then a break for an hour. Rinse and repeat all day like that.

Tuesday looks to be the worst day. Should start clearing out by Wed afternoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter