Hurricane watch 2018

Ugh, I hope it doesn't come to that for you. Then again...Flo could end up being a Tropical Depression by the time it gets here, which isn't much different than a strong thunderstorm.

I hope not either. I am going to call Disney to see if they will allow us to move our vacation (if needed) to Friday-Thursday instead of Thursday-Wednesday. If that is a possibility that may help. It will buy us another day to see what Flo is going to do. The uncertainty is just aggravating.

Just watched coverage of Florence on The Weather Channel. They're predicting she could be a Cat 3 hurricane and would hit land anywhere from Jacksonville to NC early Thursday morning. But, they did emphasize that a lot can change before then so anyone on the East Coast should check the forecast frequently as it will likely change from day to day.
I haven't seen any travel advisories the from airlines.

Just watched coverage of Florence on The Weather Channel. They're predicting she could be a Cat 3 hurricane and would hit land anywhere from Jacksonville to NC early Thursday morning. But, they did emphasize that a lot can change before then so anyone on the East Coast should check the forecast frequently as it will likely change from day to day.
Looking more and more like we will be on the same flight! ( I hope!)

Well looks like we are leaving Friday evening from Chicago to WDW and will be dodging a hurricane. We always take I-65 to I-75 down but given that hurricane Florence could be making landfall near Georgia or South Carolina I want to stay as far west of that as possible. There will be lots of crowding with evacuations and storms, flooding, etc. I am thinking now of taking I-65 through Alabama then cross over to I-10 into Florida.
Has anyone taken this route? I've never drove through Alabama and want to know what to expect. Stay safe out there!. Thanks.

Last edited:

I just watched the two scenarios. One is the direct hit to NC and go right through the state. The other is that the High Pressure weakens a little and it turns North and hits the NE coastal states. We are just working on different options. I am just going to be happy once we have a good grasp on where this thing is headed. If it is going to hit NC...we are potentially still ok. It all depends on where it hits, and how hard it hits. We have until Tuesday morning to cancel our trip with only the $200 penalty. So we wait.

Aggravating is a good word!

What is the worst is that I am getting ready to start packing. IF IF IF this thing gets ugly but isn't going to effect us in NC...we still need to prepare for the travel advisory and be ready to go 24 hours earlier. So our toiletries bag will be packed, and most of our clothes will be packed. Preparing the generator as well...just in case. I swear...preparing for a hurricane and to travel is insanity.

Attachments

• kiss-my-grits-flo-25935022.png
    kiss-my-grits-flo-25935022.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 1
We are travelling 9/28-10/6 out of BWI so our trip is too far out to start worrying but I'm nervous none the less. We already had to delay our trip (should have been there 9/1 through today) and delaying it again is almost impossible due to DH's and I's jobs. Keeping my fingers crossed that we all make it to our vacations!

It's funny how the difference 12 hours can make. Last night all the "spaghetti" models showed the track basically the same...hitting somewhere along the Carolinas.
This morning, the spaghetti models are all over the place because of that high pressure system. Some of the models even have it potentially hitting farther north into Jersey/southern New England.
DH jokingly suggested we get in the car today and drive down to Florida. I considered it for half a second except I haven't packed anything.
(I work virtually so can work from anywhere that has an internet connection.)

We finally decided to book a back up flight earlier in the week, only to find, overnight SW has marked most flights as unavailable to book as Wanna Get Away fares. Our current flight on Friday is the only nonstop still available to book, LOL. So, I guess we are stuck waiting for a travel advisory or just waiting to see if our Friday flight leaves. Please Florence don’t screw up our 20th anniversary (sigh).

Well looks like we are leaving Friday evening from Chicago to WDW and will be dodging a hurricane. We always take I-65 to I-75 down but given that hurricane Florence could be making landfall near Georgia or South Carolina I want to stay as far west of that as possible. There will be lots of crowding with evacuations and storms, flooding, etc. I am thinking now of taking I-65 through Alabama then cross over to I-10 into Florida.
Has anyone taken this route? I've never drove through Alabama and want to know what to expect. Stay safe out there!. Thanks.
I live in Florida and that’s the route I take. It’s the way I went last year when Irma was going through. It’s. It a bad route honestly. We could go through Atlanta, but I have no desire to do that again after the fiasco that happened two years ago LOL. You will be fine.

We finally decided to book a back up flight earlier in the week, only to find, overnight SW has marked most flights as unavailable to book as Wanna Get Away fares. Our current flight on Friday is the only nonstop still available to book, LOL. So, I guess we are stuck waiting for a travel advisory or just waiting to see if our Friday flight leaves. Please Florence don’t screw up our 20th anniversary (sigh).
Yeah, I looked at every other day besides Thursday and that's what I found as well. I called SW this morning just to make sure I understood my options. The rep told me that I could change my flight and pay the fare difference (which would be $350 more per person because the only fares available are $500 pp.) If they send out a travel advisory, then I can change my flight without paying the fare difference. So...now we wait.

Yeah, I looked at every other day besides Thursday and that's what I found as well. I called SW this morning just to make sure I understood my options. The rep told me that I could change my flight and pay the fare difference (which would be $350 more per person because the only fares available are $500 pp.) If they send out a travel advisory, then I can change my flight without paying the fare difference. So...now we wait.
Yep - right there with you, my friend!

I just watched the two scenarios. One is the direct hit to NC and go right through the state. The other is that the High Pressure weakens a little and it turns North and hits the NE coastal states. We are just working on different options. I am just going to be happy once we have a good grasp on where this thing is headed. If it is going to hit NC...we are potentially still ok. It all depends on where it hits, and how hard it hits. We have until Tuesday morning to cancel our trip with only the $200 penalty. So we wait.
It’s probably worth mentioning that Disney’s hurricane policy applies to your place of residence, too: if there's A hurricane warning within 7 days either at Disney or at home, you shouldn’t have to eat the cancellation penalty: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/hurricane-policy/warning-issued/

This weekend is going to hard for us all planning vacations and those living in the potential path, just waiting to know something! I am trying to line up a bunch of different scenarios...just made car rental reservations for several different potential flights and lined up a couple extra days of childcare (Well, their eldest brother will come home from college for that extra time, if necessary, they are super happy about that and probably hoping we leave early!) My husband can work from our room.

Just trying to breathe...and pack...and clean...

Not sure where you are flying in from but one thing I would do if I were you. IF IF IF your flight is canceled they will refund you the ticket price. Tell SWA you want to keep your return flight booked and just refund you the outbound flight. I would RIGHT THIS MINUTE reserve a rental car because if flights get canceled you won't be able to find a rental car within 100 miles of your home. I have a rental car reserved to pick up Thursday morning in case we need it.

This weekend is going to hard for us all planning vacations and those living in the potential path, just waiting to know something! I am trying to line up a bunch of different scenarios...just made car rental reservations for several different potential flights and lined up a couple extra days of childcare (Well, their eldest brother will come home from college for that extra time, if necessary, they are super happy about that and probably hoping we leave early!) My husband can work from our room.

Just trying to breathe...and pack...and clean...

I agree. My biggest issue is leaving my home with my dogs, and our pet sitter with no power. If we lose power I will not be able to enjoy our trip knowing our house/pet sitter will be frying in the house with our dogs. UGHHHHHH!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter