Hurricane Wilma

It's still too early to tell where Wilma is going with much precision, but the current projected path is landfall around Naples-Marco Island and exiting Florida around Stuart-Ft. Pierce.

It's obviously important to remember that hurricanes are very large areas of bad weather, and with this storm they are expecting hurricane force winds across a 150 mile wide front and tropical storm winds across a 400-450 mile wide front. That means that virtually all of South Florida could receive at least Cat 1 winds.

It's also important to remember that hurricanes do not move in a straight line -- they wobble back and forth along their overall path. A wobble of 10 miles or so is not at all uncommon, and that can greatly affect the winds at particular point.

It seems likely that WDW will experience at least fairly strong tropical storm force winds and it is possible WDW could get at least hurricane force gusts.

Vero is right in the path of the storm, but the storm will approach Vero from inland, and the long trek across Florida will greatly weaken the storm by the time it gets to Vero. On the other hand, all of South Florida is very flat and low, with no elevations more than about 25 feet, and most of the hurricane's path is going to be across the Everglades. So there will be little to break the storm up and some warm water to provide fuel.

The storm is expected to come ashore tomorrow morning and exit late tomorrow, so Monday's weather at WDW will be pretty bad all day.

We're in Sebastian

We are under a hurricane warning. They are closing all of the bridges (including the one by the resort) tomorrow at 6 am.

Stay safe, everyone.

+

The 5 PM discussion says Wilma could be a Cat 3 storm by landfall tomorrow morning in SW Florida. Here in Miami, although we are 65-75 miles away from the projected path, we are under tornado watch and have been told to anticipate winds of 90+ mph tomorrow.

We're all buttoned up and just waiting now. The first feeder band has already passed through Key West, so I expect we'll begin to get them in a few hours. Hopefully, Wilma will roar through so fast she won't do much damage.

About 1/2 an hour ago there was a tornado over by the resort in Vero. I believe everything is okay.

I just talked with member services. They said Vero lost electricity for a bit but that it is up and running with no damage.

I hope this is in fact true since we are scheduled to be there in less than two weeks and our trip last year was cancelled because of the damage from Francis.

Can't wait to actually visit.

Steve

I called the resort this morning to make reservations for Thanksgiving brunch and they said they were without power and working with flashlights.

They said they are only taking care of the people who are already checked in and not allowing anyone to check in.

This was at about 8 am.

I only have internet for a little while. There is no power 2 blocks over where the cable node is. Dh went and hooked up a generator to it so we have cable and internet until the gas runs out.

We made it through alright.

We had water come in through the front door and and it ruined the carpet in the living room and we also had water in the bedroom. So I guess we are getting new floors sooner than we had planned.

We are VERY lucky to have power. People 2 streets over either way do not.

School is closed again tomorrow. Publix in Sebastian only has dry goods so we drove up to Roseland where they never lost power to buy milk, etc.

:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter