Hypothetical How Would You Feel If Disneyland Reopens With These Restrictions

This is an interesting one. They might block all local AP's for the 1st little while to allow for tourist visitors to get in but if they do this they run the risk of alienating AP holders which is a no win situation. A daily lottery system perhaps, but this would hold a myriad of problems. Its one thing not getting your ROTR pass but not getting into the park at all well that would be really difficult for people to swallow. I could see them making it a situation where if you are staying at a Disney property hotel you are guaranteed daily admission, but again I could see major push back from various groups if this were to happen. Could they make a system like doing ADR's for dining at WDW 90 days out but for this you are actually booking your park days?

Things are going to be interesting to say the least.
I'm not sure if the tourism part would go over well. People will obviously go when the park reopens, but how many? Also, I wonder how hotel capacity will be for onsite?

I'm not sure if the tourism part would go over well. People will obviously go when the park reopens, but how many? Also, I wonder how hotel capacity will be for onsite?

I posted this elsewhere, but here are the numbers for hotel capacity:

DLH: 973 rooms
GCH: 948 rooms
PPH: 481 rooms
Total official room capacity: 2402 rooms

Assuming 5 people per room (suites are included in that number) 5 x 2402 = 12,010 on-park guests.

Unofficial DL maximum capacity = 75,000 (LA Times)
Unofficial DCA maximum capacity = 33,000 (various)

So even with with packed full hotels divided by DLR's carrying capacity of 108,000 guests, you only approach 11.1% of capacity.

Based on Florida's theme park task force guidelines, opening at 50% capacity means you can allow up to ~42,000 non-DLR hotel guests people into the parks.

It'll be interesting how they're going to equitably implement this with the numbers of outstanding DLAPs. They're going to essentially have to treat every day like Christmas week, except worse because at least during Christmas, every pass except the top tier is blocked out.

I said this in another thread but I also wonder if they will do away with the park hopper option and make it just a one park per day type of thing until they stop having a limit on the number of people in each park. If they did allow park hopping i think it would be quite hard to keep track off and enforce (not impossible but difficult). Just a thought.

I said this in another thread but I also wonder if they will do away with the park hopper option and make it just a one park per day type of thing until they stop having a limit on the number of people in each park. If they did allow park hopping i think it would be quite hard to keep track off and enforce (not impossible but difficult). Just a thought.
Ill happily park my rear at the bar , facing the water , at LLL, with a cocktail in my hand and a burger, talking to Tony the bartender lol

My plan is probably to stay away until we have more information about the spread, true mortality/sickness/infection/immunity rates, a vaccine or known treatments.
1. Masks - offer little protection for people unless you are the one sick -- then you are protecting others. People will be touching these all day long -- on off on off on off. That defeats the purpose. Also, they will get wet on water rides and have potential to fly off on rides depending on type of mask. AND most people don't even wear them properly anyway--not covering their nose or their mouth, or they have facial hair or they take them off.
2. Gloves are dumb - there is little protection unless you change them after touching anything - not realistic scenario. What do you do with gloves when going to the bathroom?
3. People are touching everything at disney (and anywhere) all the time. Putting their hands on their noses, in their mouths, eyes (contacts/glasses), some not washing after bathroom, eating / drinking after touching railings, rides, statues, merchandise, interactive features, touch screens, phones, etc. Especially kids -- and then touching their parents hands, mouth, sharing food, etc. I often get sick after Disney or any travel because there is not 100% way to be 100% clean and we come across viruses/bacteria all the time. Luckily the common ones are ones we have been vaccinated for or have immunity built up so it is just minor. Yes, we could contract any 'novel to us' virus but this one is novel to the world so doctors don't even understand how to treat it effectively yet.
4. Fever checks / symptom checks also pretty pointless - lots of symptoms out there that mimic this and aren't serious -- going to turn someone away for allergies? a cold? non-contagious hives? Lots of folks asymptomatic as well.

I think they SHOULD put in more hand sanitizing stations and washing areas anyway! I cannot imagine social distancing will work in Disney. We were there over Thanksgiving in the pouring rain and cold. It was not crowded, but still crowded. How will Disney make a profit (or even break even) with even less people and still have a huge workforce to have to come in and work rides and food, etc. And even more staff likely to clean extra and deal with queues/social distance rules.

I still have too many questions on this virus -- How does one know if you get it, you'll be one of the lucky ones and it will be mild? How certain you don't have any of the "underlying" conditions that causes it to be more severe? How clear is the knowledge of immunity once you have it? How much exposure do you need to get it/get the severe case? After going, will we then need to quarantine for 14 - 21 days to ensure we didn't get exposed while there and touching things? I'll just hang out at home a little bit longer and see how things pan out.

I'm glad that we can have civil discussions on this board. (I made a comment on a youtube video that I wouldn't care to wear a mask to DL and I was called "entitled." Despite the fact that I wear a mask in all buildings in my town and it's not a requirement.) We're out of towners holding non-refundable passes. I think the plan is to reschedule our August trip until spring or summer 2021. If masks are required by that point and shows and parades have not returned, then we will just go and make the best of it but not schedule any more disney trips. Right now, I have no joy or excitement in thinking about the trip, but I was so excited to go a few months ago.

The big question that LM3js brought up is how can Disney make any money? More staffing to keep things clean and less customers doesn't work. Where will the lines end up if people are separated by 6 feet? Most queues have 3-4 lines snaking back and forth that are within 6 ft. How can they possibly let enough visitors in to make it worth the money unless they jack up the prices?

The big question that LM3js brought up is how can Disney make any money? More staffing to keep things clean and less customers doesn't work. Where will the lines end up if people are separated by 6 feet? Most queues have 3-4 lines snaking back and forth that are within 6 ft. How can they possibly let enough visitors in to make it worth the money unless they jack up the prices?

That’s the great unknown. Chapek made it clear in the earnings call on 5/5 that park operations had to make a significant impact.

“We would not reopen any park until we can make a positive contribution to overhead and operating-profit level,”

Disney won't ever report these numbers, but Comcast said it needs about 50% attendance for USH/USF to be profitable. Let’s be generous and say that number needs to be 35% for Disney (I personally spend way more at DL than USH), that’s 37,800 people per day. Definitely doable, IMO. Just challenging.

I posted this elsewhere, but here are the numbers for hotel capacity:

DLH: 973 rooms
GCH: 948 rooms
PPH: 481 rooms
Total official room capacity: 2402 rooms

Assuming 5 people per room (suites are included in that number) 5 x 2402 = 12,010 on-park guests.

Unofficial DL maximum capacity = 75,000 (LA Times)
Unofficial DCA maximum capacity = 33,000 (various)

So even with with packed full hotels divided by DLR's carrying capacity of 108,000 guests, you only approach 11.1% of capacity.

Based on Florida's theme park task force guidelines, opening at 50% capacity means you can allow up to ~42,000 non-DLR hotel guests people into the parks.

It'll be interesting how they're going to equitably implement this with the numbers of outstanding DLAPs. They're going to essentially have to treat every day like Christmas week, except worse because at least during Christmas, every pass except the top tier is blocked out.
And the number for DL max capacity is inaccurate now, that number is ore Galaxy Edge, even the fire Marshall is unsure of Disneyland's Max Capacity with Galaxy's Edge, they are still working that out, but let's say that they use this number for now.

We do know that Disney has said they will follow the same model as Shanghai, making adjustments for local regulations.

So, we know that reservations will be require for all off site guests while onsite guests will get guaranteed access. Likely the hotels will operate at a reduced capacity as well.

We also know that annual passes will be extended based on the length of time from the date the parks closed until reservations are no longer required (again based on Shanghai's model) for the passes that will be extended, while still allowing passholders to make reservations based on availability, this is how they will keep it fair for passholders. As a result of this policy, there will likely be passholders who won't go to the parks until after the reservation only period ends

Also keep in mind the parks often are operating at under 70% of max capacity on a normal basis with many days under 50%, especially during the off season and this is likely to make even the summer be more like the off season for a while, so we may see it not being as big of an issue as we think.

That’s the great unknown. Chapek made it clear in the earnings call on 5/5 that park operations had to make a significant impact.

“We would not reopen any park until we can make a positive contribution to overhead and operating-profit level,”

Disney won't ever report these numbers, but Comcast said it needs about 50% attendance for USH/USF to be profitable. Let’s be generous and say that number needs to be 35% for Disney (I personally spend way more at DL than USH), that’s 37,800 people per day. Definitely doable, IMO. Just challenging.
Cedar Fair has said they can be profitable at numbers under 30% capacity and they have A LOT of passholders that have all season dining, so I have to imagine Disney can easily be profitable at under 30%. Consider that during the off season they often operate well under 50% of max capacity anyway, so again should be very doable, especially with no parades or fireworks, both of which actually cost a lot to put on, both from the costs of the shows themselves and guest control standpoints. As for Universal, their costs are higher than most other theme parks, due to the nature of the studio part of their park. But they can also help overcome that by renting out the studio for movie production.

Additionally at this point, I imagine most theme parks are going to be looking to simply break even or at least not be bleeding the amount of money they currently are, allowing them to hold out until things can return to normal.

So here are some ways that the queues can have 6 feet spacing while not having the queues be massively long:
  • For FP attractions, make them FP only and make the return line go through the standby queue and have the FP return queue used for those that are considered vulnerable, such as the elderly and for guest recovery.
  • For other attractions, if there more than x number of people in line (that number will vary by attraction), a virtual queue will be setup that you can join from your app on your phone.
As for how they can make it worth it, I answered that in my previous post. Remember profitability may not be what they are looking for, they may simply look to minimize the damage financially speaking.

Those are great ideas, but can you imagine how crowded the rest of Disneyland would be if FP rides are FP only? That is a huge group of people having to be somewhere else if they are not waiting in a line for a ride. What percent capacity do you think Disneyland runs at during February? The main walkways would be super crowded if all the people waiting in lines were out in the walkways even in February. My guess is it is way more than 30%. Here's hoping that it works out somehow.

Those are great ideas, but can you imagine how crowded the rest of Disneyland would be if FP rides are FP only? That is a huge group of people having to be somewhere else if they are not waiting in a line for a ride. What percent capacity do you think Disneyland runs at during February? The main walkways would be super crowded if all the people waiting in lines were out in the walkways even in February. My guess is it is way more than 30%. Here's hoping that it works out somehow.

My thoughts exactly. Everyone would just be standing around in groups in the middle of the walkways. DL is small anyway and has so many areas that bottleneck even during the “slow” seasons. I honestly cannot picture how it’s going to be possible...

Honestly, if it were just me and my husband I’d go even with the restrictions. We do have children and that’s where it makes me uncomfortable. One of them is asthmatic and I just wouldn’t risk it solely for him, even with the precautions. I am local (LA country local) so it’s not an expensive trip to me where the mask, not hugging characters, etc would bother me.

I've been thinking about this and reading reports from guests visiting the reopened Shanghai park and wondering when I will feel it is safe to go to Dland again. I will certainly not be in the first wave attendees in Anaheim. I would rather wait and see. In terms of the health and safety protocols, I am certainly willing to adhere to all. I assume they have been devised for the benefit of guests. I actually very much like the idea of abundant hand sanitizer dispensers and hand wash stations throughout the parks. That is great, and I hope that just sticks around permanently. I am already wearing a face mask to do any of the things we are allowed in public. So fine to do that at Dland. Keeping 6ft distance is a practice most people seem to be trying their best to do which is all you can ask. Happy to make a reservation to visit Dland rather than just showing up. Fine to take my temperature before entry (heck they are already pawing through my purse.)

Still I don't think these precautions will make me feel it is safe enough. Even with reduced capacity and masks and exponential hand washing, it is going to be many thousands of people, in and out of enclosed and high touch places, screaming, laughing, talking, and reflexively touching their faces. I mean there are documented cases of COVID-19 being fatally passed at choir practice or at a restaurant to individuals seated several tables away. I loooooove Dland and miss it dearly, but for me, I will have to wait until there is a much more effective COVID-19 treatment or a vaccine.

According to their 2019 annual report (stock symbol DIS), DIsney made $7.5B in all theme park admissions, $5.6B in merchandise and food, $6.2B in resorts and vacations, licensing and retail was $4.5B, and $1.9B in other for a total of $26.2B . After expenses and admin costs, their operating incoming from the parks was $6.7B.

I thought it might be interesting to update this thread, seeing as Disneyland have updated their safety measures and we now have reopening information

First Post 8 April

@2102raven

- masks and gloves
- social distancing
- 6 ft apart
- no hugs with characters
- no self serve buffet stations
- limit queue and park occupancy
- washing stations
- hand sanitizer stations

i highly doubt the avid disney world visitors would comply with these policies

When the parks re open there are going to have to be some changes.

• Would the above restrictions bother you, would you comply if it meant that was the only way you could visit the parks?
  • Or would you feel cheated, that you can't get the full Disneyland experience like you used to have?
  • Would the wearing of masks in the parks make you feel uncomfortable?
  • Would the restricted character meets make a difference to your overall park experience?
  • What about if at character meets you could only take photos of the characters, not with the characters?
  • What if the face characters were wearing masks?
  • What if ride capacity is limited so instead of all spaces in ride vehicles being filled, only half the space is filled which thereby increases wait times?
  • What if in ride queues have boxes taped on the ground of where you have to stand, 6 feet away from the person in front of you and behind you, which reduces the amount of people allowed to wait in line at rides?
I know its an awful lot of what ifs, but this could be the new normal in the parks.

Are you willing to put up with whatever restrictions Disney decides to implement in order to make the parks operational or would you say thats it I'm done with Disney parks?

Looks like I was fairly accurate in my predication's. So what do people think now, a few months later, that the hypothetical has become reality?

I thought it might be interesting to update this thread, seeing as Disneyland have updated their safety measures and we now have reopening information

First Post 8 April

@2102raven

- masks and gloves
- social distancing
- 6 ft apart
- no hugs with characters
- no self serve buffet stations
- limit queue and park occupancy
- washing stations
- hand sanitizer stations

i highly doubt the avid disney world visitors would comply with these policies

When the parks re open there are going to have to be some changes.

• Would the above restrictions bother you, would you comply if it meant that was the only way you could visit the parks?
  • Or would you feel cheated, that you can't get the full Disneyland experience like you used to have?
  • Would the wearing of masks in the parks make you feel uncomfortable?
  • Would the restricted character meets make a difference to your overall park experience?
  • What about if at character meets you could only take photos of the characters, not with the characters?
  • What if the face characters were wearing masks?
  • What if ride capacity is limited so instead of all spaces in ride vehicles being filled, only half the space is filled which thereby increases wait times?
  • What if in ride queues have boxes taped on the ground of where you have to stand, 6 feet away from the person in front of you and behind you, which reduces the amount of people allowed to wait in line at rides?
I know its an awful lot of what ifs, but this could be the new normal in the parks.

Are you willing to put up with whatever restrictions Disney decides to implement in order to make the parks operational or would you say thats it I'm done with Disney parks?

Looks like I was fairly accurate in my predication's. So what do people think now, a few months later, that the hypothetical has become reality?
The new rules won’t bother me, as I understand that they are for safety. I’m assuming these restrictions will be temporary, but I do wonder in the future how they will reintroduce things like parades, fireworks, shows, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter