I’ve changed my mind on DVC (for awhile)

I certainly don’t mean to throw cold water. I truly enjoyed my time as a Member, even with the shortcomings we learned along the way. That said, I will try to be more mindful of my wording going forward.

We rarely stay regular resort rooms at WDW, as we are now local. So, no bragging there. Just pointing out how DVC can improve.

Yes, we still enjoy much of Disney. The DVC boards is what I started with on the DIS, so I guess that’s why I hang here. Also there is a good variety of topics here, including restaurant options, ticket options, etc.

What instigated our sale of membership was a job loss. That said, I’m sure we could have found a way to hang onto some of our points if we did not become a bit disenchanted with Disney. Don’t get me wrong, we still enjoy it, but it’s not what it once was. Things like the closing of Pleasure Island is one example, but many other cutbacks factored in.
I never minded paying the big money for the unparalleled experience, but I refuse to pay the big money for mediocrity.
WDW used to raise the bar and watch other parks try to catch up. Now, the other parks push the bar up and Disney struggles to stay above it.

I hope I did not go too far off topic.

You are absolutely correct! Disney is not what it once was.

But, neither am I. Thirty two years have passed since my first Disney visit and 20 years since I joined DVC in 2000.

I also miss Pleasure Island. I miss the Adventurer's Club and Comedy Warehouse. Sometimes I see the cast members playing other roles in the parks and it brings back memories.

I miss being able to sit on a bench on Main Street. Imagine that - most people here have probably never seen a bench outside the Bakery, where you could get the best cinnamon rolls and the freshly made ice cream cookie sandwich.

There have been a lot of changes.

Wellll - just DW and I....

We are becoming DVC Renters. DVC wants to steal 147 APR 2020 Use Year points from us - then suggested RCI.
Nope. We are RENTING. Gets us cash, time to react to what WDW will actually be, preserves our points against future sale if WDW becomes a dud.

Too boot? They were insulting about it - despite my begging for consideration over our recent Midland MI damn breech, and flood. We are likely out $80K. WDW could care less. We are less than impressed :(.

We have been with DVC over 20 years and are as satisfied with it today was day one, actually more so. Nothing they have done during this unprecedented pandemic is a deal breaker for me. There is no way they can please over 250,000 members and it is a club, it's not just about me. I lost points but, that's okay. They did what was best for the club, not individuals. I feel most that are unhappy either have no idea what they bought, or they want DVC to do exactly what they want regardless of how that affects others.
Times change, people either adjust or grow old and bitter.

I was waiting for Valet Parking to come up.
That was a Disney decision though and not DVC. Disney went with Mears to handle valet and Mears wanted to charge DVC a very huge amount to provide the service. To cover that, dues would have been raised and I am for one glad I don't have to pay for someone else to valet park.

If you want to tell me why you gave it up, that's fine. But each time you tell me how much better your new rooms are, it sounds like bragging and an attempt to diminish my experience.

DVC is not "deluxe" by international hotel standards. This is not exactly news.

I challenge you anywhere in the world to find an $800/night hotel room that has no bathrobes, mediocre toiletries and towels, worn furniture, and zero service -- I'm looking at you Poly. I've stayed at Poly twice and have checked myself in and never been able to get a lei. Like everyone else, I waited in the four or five deep line on a Wednesday in January for bags or desk or whatever, like I was at a cheap Hilton. I'd feel way worse if I spent $800 for that privilege.

I mean I have an Owner's Locker now with all the stuff a real deluxe hotel should have, but lets not act surprised that DVC is not a tip top hotel experience.

That said, I bought into DVC because it DOES have true deluxe options: 2BRs, GVs, even cabins and bungalows. Those experiences are barely bookable with cash and, unlike most here, my entire goal was a handful luxury trips, not necessarily value.

DVC is not "deluxe" by international hotel standards. This is not exactly news.

I challenge you anywhere in the world to find an $800/night hotel room that has no bathrobes, mediocre toiletries and towels, worn furniture, and zero service --

Bethany Beach Residence Inn, Delaware, USA. A Marriott beach property. Actually, you will pay more than $800 in July.

I will say this Residence Inn is a decent property, but it's still a Residence Inn with what you would expect from a Residence Inn. Nothing 'deluxe'.

Location Location Location.

While some people want to "bash DVC" for their handling of the pandemic, I have a great story as to how wonderful the DVC management can be. We had a 2BR at BWV in Dec 2019. We stayed there and noticed on day 2 a major leak from above floor in our 2BR. Management came by and moved us to the studio section (could not use 1BR side due to leak). It was just my wife and I as our other guests could not come to WDW. So, we stayed there for 1 day and it was fixed. (Or so we thought!) The next day it was leaking again, and there was no other room to move to. So, we stayed in studio another night and the next day the leak was fixed for good! So we were out of the 1BR for 2 days during our 5 night stay.
WHAT DID they do? Reimbursed ALL of my 2BR points for the WHOLE STAY!!
Needless to say, we were very happy with their decision. ALSO, they gave us $200 credit to use during our stay, AND gave us room service of champagne and chocolate strawberries! So, I think DVC did a great thing, and us as members since 1999 LOVE our DVC!

DeerH

So what DW and I did....

At first? We were just going to sell our contracts. On further thought? We joined David's DVC Rentals.

We own 300 points at BRV. WDW tried to screw us out of 147 APR 2020 points, suggesting RCI transfer. We will be RENTING those points, via David's, for whatever fair Market Price is.

Now - if we get something? Wonderful. WDW was going to steal those points... we have nothing to loose. We also now have a real OPTION to reclaim our dues investment, for the NEXT time WDW decides to pull something.

PS - we sort of like the concept of screwing WDW out of Rack Rate Room rental income :).

So what DW and I did....

At first? We were just going to sell our contracts. On further thought? We joined David's DVC Rentals.

We own 300 points at BRV. WDW tried to screw us out of 147 APR 2020 points, suggesting RCI transfer. We will be RENTING those points, via David's, for whatever fair Market Price is.

Now - if we get something? Wonderful. WDW was going to steal those points... we have nothing to loose. We also now have a real OPTION to reclaim our dues investment, for the NEXT time WDW decides to pull something.

PS - we sort of like the concept of screwing WDW out of Rack Rate Room rental income :).

So you thought Disney was shady and decided to go with David’s?

https://www.disboards.com/threads/davids-dvc-rental-reimbursement-or-rescheduling.3796922/
My own experience has been less than stellar as an owner, and I don’t seem to be alone. Best of luck to you..

So what DW and I did....

That's fine and dandy, and I get it.. But I would not be happy with $15.50/point rental when I could get
$18-19-20/point. But, it is better than nothing and I get that. Maybe find a co-worker/friend/disboards and rent for more money. I am not a renter (we use ours),but I am not going to rent them out for $15/point with "free parking" ($25/night at no cost to renter) and no taxes due. Sorry, be a hard no from me dog... Just my .02........

DeerH

I agree it’s good to step back if you don’t feel confident.

That being said, I actually feel I’m being treated well. I had stalked a reservation at riviera at the 7 month mark and made a perfect spring break trip with perfect fastpasses and dining. It was going to be right before our annual passes expire. And it all got cancelled. It was so sad.

However, they banked my current use year points and returned the ones I had borrowed. Sure, it took some time, but they did it. They also are going to refund part of my annual pass since the extension would not work for my family. I lost nothing aside from some time, which in a global pandemic is nothing compared to others.

And, now that reservations and ticket sales are frozen and the new reservation system is opening Monday, I was able to go in a finalize a Thanksgiving trip. Despite ticket sales being frozen, I could buy a new gold annual pass, which means I can make park reservations on opening day when others who are not DVC may not be able to if they don’t have existing reservations and tickets. So, what could have been disappointing has ended up working out because of DVC.

I guess it depends on why someone wants DVC. If they want the special mingles and events, they may be disappointed now. Those have declined. But I enjoy my stays in DVC resorts, and I feel the value of what we pay vs what we get room wise is great, and that’s why we bought at the resort we’d always be happy staying in, Poly. Sometimes we try to switch resorts and the 7 month mark, sure, but if we can’t, we are always happy to be at Poly.

That's fine and dandy, and I get it.. But I would not be happy with $15.50/point rental when I could get
$18-19-20/point. But, it is better than nothing and I get that. Maybe find a co-worker/friend/disboards and rent for more money. I am not a renter (we use ours),but I am not going to rent them out for $15/point with "free parking" ($25/night at no cost to renter) and no taxes due. Sorry, be a hard no from me dog... Just my .02........

DeerH
I’ve rented both direct to people on the disboards and through Davids and DVC rental store. It’s a matter of personal preference and how valuable your time is to you but Davids and the rental store do make it significantly easier to rent points than going direct. Being what’s effectively a travel agent can be very trying with some people and require a degree of patience that sometimes isn’t worth getting an extra couple dollars per point.

The rental brokerages have increased what they now charge to rent points without increasing what they are paying owners for the points but in the short term I’m okay with that. They provide a service that has now gotten significantly more complicated in acting as a middle man with all of these cancellations and with providing credits for cancelled reservations have taken on more risk than they historically have..

I’ve rented both direct to people on the disboards and through Davids and DVC rental store. It’s a matter of personal preference and how valuable your time is to you but Davids and the rental store do make it significantly easier to rent points than going direct. Being what’s effectively a travel agent can be very trying with some people and require a degree of patience that sometimes isn’t worth getting an extra couple dollars per point.

The rental brokerages have increased what they now charge to rent points without increasing what they are paying owners for the points but in the short term I’m okay with that. They provide a service that has now gotten significantly more complicated in acting as a middle man with all of these cancellations and with providing credits for cancelled reservations have taken on more risk than they historically have..
All great points. But the fact remains that DVC is dead set on stealing 147 APR 2020 use year points from our family.

I have two choices: 1) Get NOTHING 2) Get what I can.

I have rented through David’s, DVC.rental.com and through an owner. I don’t own a DVC, I just rent. However this is my last year through any brokerage company. Most of the brokers want $20 a point which doesnt even help me get near 20% savings. In a spot where I cant cancel, I won’t rent again. I would rather spend the extra hundred dollars for piece of mind. $18 per point still you save.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter