I am not smarter than a 5th grader

What in the fresh HE double hockey sticks is this????
I really have no solid answer other then google and wikipedia are your friend. Both my boys took it in High School then advanced in college. Since my oldest is in the research area dealing with machine learning and youngest is in electrical engineering I assume this is something they use or learned from that helped them advance. It's way beyond my pay grade. ;)

I really have no solid answer other then google and wikipedia are your friend. Both my boys took it in High School then advanced in college. Since my oldest is in the research area dealing with machine learning and youngest is in electrical engineering I assume this is something they use or learned from that helped them advance. It's way beyond my pay grade. ;)
I was sooooo bad at math. in 8th grade we had pre-algebra and I did so bad my mom made me take it again in 9th grade and I STILL had to go to Sylvan learing center to pass Algebra 1 in 10th grade. College algrebra 1 & 2 were the only classes out of all 4 years that I got a b and c in and I was just so glad to get thru it I didn't even care that I didn't get an A ( I was a bit of a Hermoine). And thats the other thing that makes me so mad about all this. I have a bachelors degree and graduated with honors, like a 3.9 gpa and my 5th graders homework requires me to google. Of course they are doing algebra stuff now that I know we didn't start until 7/8th grade but still... I used to be smart enough to figure this out.

It's OK I was never strong at math, thankfully my wife was, but when the kids came home in some class called Discrete Math I nearly lost it with the dad jokes. I got my revenge when they actually had to apply their studies in college using Excel then my wife stepped aside and I helped out. ;)
Two of my kids ended up computer science majors and had discrete math and linear algebra in college, none of which I had studied as an engineering major in the early 80's. I was happy I could help them with science and calculus in high school. Amazing, after 3 pregnancies I can still do math!

Two of my kids ended up computer science majors and had discrete math and linear algebra in college, none of which I had studied as an engineering major in the early 80's. I was happy I could help them with science and calculus in high school. Amazing, after 3 pregnancies I can still do math!
Lucky you. After two pregnancies I can’t remember why I came into this room. ;)

Lucky you. After two pregnancies I can’t remember why I came into this room. ;)
Same!
Lol, I was looking for people to make me feel better, not worse

Same!

Lol, I was looking for people to make me feel better, not worse

How's this? - My degree is in math, and the other evening I picked up a calculator to do something my 21-year-old did in his head in the same amount of time. :rotfl2:

I swear it's all still in my brain, it just doesn't surface quickly now that I'm "old" (especially late in the day!)

I’ve been cyber schooling my kids for 10 years all the way through calculus. My accounting degree was way easier. 3-1/2 years to go!

How's this? - My degree is in math, and the other evening I picked up a calculator to do something my 21-year-old did in his head in the same amount of time. :rotfl2:

I swear it's all still in my brain, it just doesn't surface quickly now that I'm "old" (especially late in the day!)
Much better. Thank you lol

I was sooooo bad at math...
I was not good at it either, it just never clicked with me. Of course having my Dad who had an engineering background didn't help as he didn't understand why I didn't just "work harder" of course having me stand up at the dining room table and reciting multiplication tables might have had something to do with it. I could have stopped math and still graduated HS but I stuck with it, mostly because I loved my teacher. Off to Community College I struggled still, then my school couselor told me I didn't have a math requirement to transver to the Univeristy since gotten in an earlier "Plan" since I took at summer school class - I got up and kissed that woman. Fast forward I a working on my Masters and take a Stats Class and I knew I was in deep... you know what. I chaged my enrollment after the 1st test and audited it - figured I was never going to finish my Masters. Thankfully the teacher appreciated that I didn't give up and told me about another little known Stats class that for the "Jocks" in the PE department. For some reason his style clicked and I got an A. I still remind my kids to tone it down that their Dad has degrees in Recreation!
My wife took on the math, I took on the history and other help with our boys. I'd look over that math stuff and my head would hurt, my eyes would flicker and drool started dripping out of the side of my mouth ;)

I was not good at it either, it just never clicked with me. Of course having my Dad who had an engineering background didn't help as he didn't understand why I didn't just "work harder" of course having me stand up at the dining room table and reciting multiplication tables might have had something to do with it. I could have stopped math and still graduated HS but I stuck with it, mostly because I loved my teacher. Off to Community College I struggled still, then my school couselor told me I didn't have a math requirement to transver to the Univeristy since gotten in an earlier "Plan" since I took at summer school class - I got up and kissed that woman. Fast forward I a working on my Masters and take a Stats Class and I knew I was in deep... you know what. I chaged my enrollment after the 1st test and audited it - figured I was never going to finish my Masters. Thankfully the teacher appreciated that I didn't give up and told me about another little known Stats class that for the "Jocks" in the PE department. For some reason his style clicked and I got an A. I still remind my kids to tone it down that their Dad has degrees in Recreation!
My wife took on the math, I took on the history and other help with our boys. I'd look over that math stuff and my head would hurt, my eyes would flicker and drool started dripping out of the side of my mouth ;)
This is how we generally split it up too. He takes the science and math stuff and I take reading, grammar, spelling and history. I do not have the math and science brain. There isn't enough imagination in it for my adhd brain. Strangely and thankfully, so far my kids seem to really get math. Unfortunately neither of them like to read.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter