• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I am so bad at making decisions (FAIRYTALE vs. TROPICAL PALMS).... (pretty long...)

Pooh99

Earning My Ears
I thought I had it all planned out. Then this Fairytale Package became available.....

Let me preface this by saying that my kids have never been to DW (10 and 4) and although I know they will probably make it into adulthood unscarred without going ;), I REALLY WANT TO TAKE THEM THERE!!!
DH and I have not been there since 1989, honeymoon.

Ok, since we are usually very NO FRILLS vacationers (we usually camp in a tent or pop up camper, rarely even stay in hotels....) I figured that we could "tough it out" being off-site. I was drawn toward Tropical Palms and ready to book our reservation for 7 nights with 3 days at WDW, a possible trip to Universal, and a possible trip to the beach for a day. I liked the money saving ability with the full kitchen.

Obviously, the Fairytale package would be great for someone like my family.....BUT...it is hard to really price compare it since we had no plans to spend 7 days at WDW. But, given the fact that we are pretty much "virgins" (sorry...couldn't think of a better word), I am sure we will get our money's worth.

I know that you guys are veterans...but what would you do? I love my husband but he is not the planner in the family. Whatever I suggest, he will do.:rolleyes:

It's a tough decision, isn't it? :) DH & I have wonderful memories of our early budget trips to WDW, where we cruised 192 looking for big $25/night signs. One year we drove down on January 1st from NJ, planning to camp. The motels were so cheap that the gear never left the trunk! We found a newly renovated place & we even enjoyed the little rectangular pool & hot tub there.

Anyway, enough of my babbling. :teeth:

The questions you need to ask yourself:
  • Is 3 days really enough at WDW?
  • what is the difference in cost?
  • Do you think you'll go back soon? Or is this the Big Trip to Disney?
I think that your family would enjoy a week in the world and wouldn't miss the beach or universal. You will be able to take things slowly, instead of trying to rush through it in 3 days. You can take time to visit the water parks and Disney Quest, too.

In comparing the costs, don't forget about entertainment costs for the non-Disney days. If you hang out here you can learn ways to save money without having a kitchen. It can be done!

If you go with the FT package, you can maximize its value by arriving early & leaving later on your first and last days. You can also ask about dropping the passes from one of those days.

I've been watching onsite & offsite prices very closely for the past 2-3 years. I really think the FTP is a great deal! The UHP, like an AP, gives a whole different feel to your trip & it's something everyone should try if they get the chance. It's freedom & flexibility. :)

Tropical Palms sounds really fun & I hope to stay there someday. I love planning budget trips to cool places. But when a deal like this comes along, I'd take it!

I'm sure that didn't help much. Sorry!

If you are used to tenting or camping in a pop-up, why don't you check-out Fort Wilderness. It's totally Disney but you could stay there the entire time and drive to any other parks you want to do. You may even find you enjoy Disney so much that you don't go anywhere else! You can't get the FT package for the camping sites, but you would save a ton on the costs anyway.

Visit us on the camping board if you want more info about FW!!

I say do it!! Go and take advantage of this package. It is such a great deal and who knows when another one like this will come along!? You definately need more than 3 days at Disney, especially since it's the kids first time.
There are so many tips on these boards on how to save on food.
Like eating breakfast in the room, like bagels, poptarts from home. Bring a cooler for the room. Another way to save is by driving instead of flying if you could.
I must warn you, once you stay on site it is very hard not to on future trips, oh, and there will be future trips trust me. WDW has a way of capturing you and then you become addicted to planning and going, just like all of us on the DIS!:p

Hmmmmmmm...since it is your kid's first trip to the world and the FTPkge is a great deal...I say go for it!!! Make this a RELAXING first trip for them.

Several years ago I took my Mom with us thinking it would be her only time...I buzzed her all over WDW wanting her to take in everything...I was like a drill sergent on speed!!! :eek: It was so stupid.We saw stuff but didn't take time to really enjoy things!She did end up going on about 4 more trips with us after that.Chances are you'll be returning to Florida sometime in your life time.Everything will still be there but that vacation package deal WON'T!!!:teeth:

Gillian...loved those 192 deals!...we stayed at one about 12 years ago(with the giant alligator outside in parking lot and peacocks on the roof...they WERE real!!!) it was newly renovated and only $18 for two!!! I've worked my way up 192 and finally right onto WDW property!!! I have WONDERFUL memories from all my WDW trips NO MATTER where we stayed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter