I am so excited, but I cannot tell anyone. I knew you fellow DISers would understand

My kids don't know about our November trip. I really want to keep it a secret until we get to the airport. However, I need to get their schoolwork and I am concerned that one of the teachers will let it slip. I haven't decided if we are going to tell them because I hate the idea of them hearing it from someone else.

How exciting for you and your daughter (even your older DD getting a car). I am not going to lie, it is tough to keep it a secret, at least for me. We are leaving to go down tomorrow and we have been keeping a secret from the girls as well....they know about the trip but they don't know that we upgraded our resort stay from POFQ to CR (their dream resort). I cannot wait to see the looks on their faces as ME pulls up to CR and we get off there and not at the other resort. I agree with you, if you have to not tell others about it, don't. Our cover was almost blown last night as we went out to eat. A friend of mine (my oldest DD is best friends with her oldest DD) came into the restaurant and we were talking. Happen to mention that we were leaving for Disney on Thursday (their family is just as big much a Disneyfanatics as we are), my friend asked where we were staying and my DH blurted out the CR....right infront of both my girls :faint:. Luckily they both didn't notice because they were talking to my friends kids at the time. Boy did we dodge a bullet that time. Anyway, have fun and before you know it, it will be the time to let it all out :goodvibes Have an awesome trip.

How fun! I wanted to keep our trip (we leave in 8 days!!) a surprise for my daughter, but just couldn't keep my mouth shut! What a terrific Christmas present for both your girls! I hope you have a magical trip!

I totally understand the excitement. Just a couple days ago we booked a trip for 4 weeks from today and won't tell the kids until we get to the airport. I'm not sure if I can keep it a secret that long.

Congrats. DH and I are planning a surprise trip for DD so that she will turn the big 13 at WDW. It has been so hard to keep the secret ever since we decided to go for it. We are taking her out of school for 4 days and I was going to try and get her homework from the teachers in advance, but some of my friends said not to because of the risk of the teachers blowing the surprise. I have not decided yet, since I would like to have her do some of it on the plane. We are waking her up at her normal time and heading to the airport instead of school. We can't wait!!!! Planning and keeping it a secret is hard, but will be so worth it!

The secret is very hard to keep, however the end result is priceless! :cool1:

This past April the trip was a complete surprise for my DS. The school was aware of it because we picked him up at lunch so he got credit for being there all day. We had the bags packed (that was REALLY hard to do w/out him there and knowing about it) and put them in the car and then went to get him at school. My DH went inside to get him from the lunchroom and the teachers were just grinning because they knew we were going to tell him as soon as we got outside. They did keep it a secret which was really nice. As soon as my DS came outside, I got out of the car and he thought we were both having lunch with him and was so excited (isn't that sweet?). He couldn't see the luggage inside the car so we got the video and camera ready and I then asked him, "if you could pick anywhere you'd like to go today, where would it be?" He said, "umm....Disney?" I couldn't believe he went for the gold - we thought he might say McDonalds or Target! :rotfl2: I then said - WE ARE!!! We are leaving now and going to the airport. It was very hard to do but very worth it. I'll be honest, I don't think I could do another one as he gets older but we'll see. I warned him it's very unlikely to happen again and he obviously knows about the Oct trip. :banana:

Have a great time planning it and if you need support - we're here for you! :thumbsup2

Heather

:yay: How Fun! I think taking a Mother/Daughter trip brings a whole new dynamic to a WDW vacation! Enjoy making memories!

We surprised our son a couple years ago at Christmas time with our WDW news by doing a scavenger hunt and videotaping it - - best decision ever!

We started by giving him a gift box that explained that he need to work for his gift that year by doing a scavenger hunt. Because he was 7 at the time, it was easy to solve obviously - but you could make it harder for your daughter. We did a fill in the blanks kind of puzzle that was something like "We are going to Disney World in 7 days!

We incorporated family members by giving clues like 'Call Grandma on the phone and ask her for your next clue.' My mom was contacted before with the answer ('are') and was expecting the call. I put a clue ('in') on the fridge with a magnet. My sister sent a picture clue from her cell phone, etc.

There is no better way to start the WDW magic!

Can't wait to hear your story!

How exciting for you and your daughter (even your older DD getting a car).

Well, to be honest, that is another story. :rolleyes1 I am not quite as thrilled about the car situation. Don't get me wrong, I know my older DD will be thrilled, and I am happy for her. However, I am not totally, 100% sure I feel great about her getting a car yet. That is all my DH's idea. I think that since I have two DDs and no sons, this is a Daddy/daughter thing. I am trying not to think about it and just be excited.

Have a great time planning it and if you need support - we're here for you! :thumbsup2
Thank you! I need all of this support!

I don't think I could keep the secret if my granddaughter didn't know that her grandfather and I are going! She's even helping me with some of the planning. She's the one who talked me into changing our plans to go to WDW after the cruise when she hear that free dining would be available for us the week BEFORE the cruise. Her explanation was that we would save some money that we can use for our big family trip in September! I couldn't argue with her logic, either! Of course, we're going to WDW both before AND after the cruise!

Beth

I'm having to keep a secret too, but from my mother! I booked a trip for next fall for her and I, but I don't want her to know yet as there is a slight chance I would have to cancel. Since I will know for sure by Aprilish, I have decided I will give it to her for her birthday in July if all works out.

But it is so hard! I have come so close to telling her and it's only been like 3 days since I booked it!

We kept our last trip a secret until maybe a week before, because I didn't want them driving me crazy for 6 months. LOL! We are also keeping this trip a secret, but mainly because DH won't know for sure he can get the week off until January, which really stinks. So I'm not saying anything just in case it doesn't work out.

I've never surprised a kid with a trip. I'm glad you're doing it on Christmas so they have a week of anticipation beforehand.

If I was surprising kids that age, I'd like to make it last as long as possible. I'd have one kid open a present that says "You're going to Disney World NEXT Christmas". Then a present or two later I'd have the other kid open a present that says what the other one said but with the text crossed out and under it it says "You're going to Disney World NEXT SUMMER". Then repeat it another time with "You're going to Disney World for SPRING BREAK", and lastly the final one "You're going to Disney World NEXT WEEK!!!".

When they open the first one they will be excited they get to go back, but bummed they have to wait a whole year. By the time they open the last one, the excitement will be crazy high for them, and the whole thing won't have been over in just a few seconds for you. It will make waiting to tell them worth it.

As for your older daughter: I just bought my 16 year old a car. It's been so nice not to have to drive her around. She can stay after school and I don't have to reroute my life around it. She does have to text me EVERYWHERE she goes. I've told her a car gives her more opportunities to get in trouble, and she might not be aware that she might be in a bad situation. The texting will go on until she turns 18. I also bought her an adapter for her MP3 player. The only music she can play is from that. It eliminates the need to change stations because of commercials or a bad song. Lastly, she has to keep her purse (with her phone in it) in the back seat. It still hard to let them go it alone, but it's part of growing up and you gotta let them do that. It will get easier after about a month.

Our kids FIRST trip to WDW was a complete surprise to them even though it took us two days to drive down. :rotfl2:

NONE of us will EVER forget the kids reaction when they saw the WDW gate for the first time!! :banana:

For your surprise.....

Which is EXCELLENT by the way! :thumbsup2

You need two small itty bitty boxes. One box holds the key to the car. The other box holds either an old WDW resort room key, we keep all of ours, :) OR tickets to WDW.

Obviously the kids get the boxes.

EVENTUALLY. :rotfl2:

We, errr, Santa, did a scavenger hunt last year for the kids BIG XMAS gifts. Funny thing, just today our oldest asked if Santa could do the scavenger hunt again. :)

So as was already suggested a scavenger hunt would be a good idea. We left little notes for both kids to find which led to another note which led to a new note until the found the Big Gift. :lmao: Really built up the excitement. Next time more notes to keep them going. :cool1:

Another idea is to do this LAST. Let them get through all of their gifts which will be ho hum. Save these big ones for last. Which is what we did with the scavenger hunt. If you have seen A Christmas Story when Ralphe gets his Red Ryder BB Gun you know the effect on the kids.... ;)

My parents did this to me one year. They got the biggest box they could find. They filled it with balled up newspapers and FIREWOOD. :scared1: The present really looked nice a big. It was heavy. It was huge. It was firewood. :confused3:eek:

With an envelope with money inside. :thumbsup2

So you could wait until the XMAS gift opening orgy is finished.

Hand them a note that starts them on the scavenger hunt.....

Which leads to two Big Huge Heavy boxes. Filled with firewood, coal, rocks, or something that the girls will just hate. :rotfl:

But inside The Big Huge box is a little box containing a key to a car and a key to a room.....

OR you could have the scavenger hunt lead to the garage. Inside they will find a wrapped car for one DD and a big poster of Cinderella's castle for the other. But I like the small box idea myself. :laughing:

Later,
Dan

We surprised our kids last year with an upgrade to our hotel. and this year we did a long weekend surprise trip!! wow is it hard to keep your mouth shut! :rotfl2:

Congrats on booking the trip! :)

DD8 and I just did a mother/daughter trip in Nov. We had a great time! You'll love it!

I am taking our 2 youngest kids on a trip next month going with my mom who has never been (and my brother, SIL and nephew will be meeting us there) My kids know NOTHING. I'm about to bust, I can't wait to see their faces.

They won't even know my mom is coming down until she rings our doorbell. Then she's going to hand them a letter from "Mickey" saying that since Granny has never been to Disney, they need to go get in the van right then because they are leaving for Disney.

We'll have 17 hours in the van to plan and talk about the trip :eek:

Me too!!!! We are doing a trip 1/4-1/14 and I really want it to be a Xmas surprise for the kids. I am busting to tell someone.

It's so hard not to spill the beans.

Amy

We are leaving Friday and my DS has no idea. I am going to get him up like any other school day. Then, I am going to pretend to find a package for him when I get the paper. I wrapped up a Mickey ears hat and a letter from Mickey telling him he doesn't have to go to school because he is going to the airport. It has been so hard to keep it a secret, especially this week! I want to tell him sooooo bad!!:yay:

add me to the secret keepers club....We are leaving a week from today and DD has no idea. She will go to school like any other day except that it is a very well planned early release day (thank you school system) I have purchased personalized M&Ms with the message Happy birthday you are going to Disney World today printed on them (it took 4 M&Ms for the message) Once she reads her candygram she has a letter to open and read that has all the info and plans for the trip thus far....I do not have everyday planned out so she could throw her 2 cents in since it is her birthday. I've been keeping this secret since last Nov and it's killing me but at this point I'm not telling because I can not wait to see her face when she figures it out. Not sure if I'm more excited for the reveal or the actual trip. Have a great time and stay strong!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter