I.D requirements at Walt Disney World

AlohaDisney

Mouseketeer
Was just reading a somewhat controversial website that said there is going to be new ID requirements to buy alcohol at Walt Disney World, and also states that everyone can/will be asked, no matter what your age (I've been asked every trip for many years, so I already knew that one).

The following is a list of acceptable forms of ID:

U.S. Issued Driver’s License
U.S. Military ID
Passport – not a copy on the original will be accepted.
Copy of your passport only with a Government issued photo ID that states your birthday

Has anyone been denied using a Canadian drivers license? I really refuse to carry my passport around with me while at Disney World.

TIA

They have "if you look younger than 60 you will be id'd" sign s posted all over Florida now. May be part of a state campaign. Drivers license should suffice.

When I ate at Tutto Italia 2 weeks ago a fellow behind us was denied alcohol.
He was from the Bahamas and had a Bahamian Drivers license.
The manager would not accept it and would only accept if he had a Passport which he did not have on him.

I found it strange that they were so stringent but you bringing up the subject makes more sense now. Not sure what they would do with a Canadian Drivers license though.
Maybe there's some countries where there's more I.D. fraud than others.

When we were there a couple weeks ago, my BF and I were RARELY carded. I honestly can't think of many places that carded us and we are both in our 20's. So, I have no idea what to think.

They started a similar policy at DCA in the Disneyland Resort earlier this year. It probably has to do with it being easier to see the information on a Passport as it is standard worldwide where as Drivers Licences the rules on where info has to be can very from place to place.

When we had annual passes they wanted to see ID quite a few times as well. Mostly for purchases using the discount. It ended up being easiest to just bring the passports everywhere in the park bag. I hate having to do it, but if the kids needed picture i.d. they don't have anything but the passports so we just bring them all and never ever take the bag off.

Thanks everyone! I was asked for I.D. several times when we were there in early August, and I was the only Canadian in the group and had no problem showing my license.
I just don't like the idea of having to carry my passport with me through the parks and my son is 6-years old and I was hoping to get away without taking a purse or bag into the parks this year, but obviously won't be putting my passport in my pocket.
Think I may just risk my driver's license

Thanks everyone! I was asked for I.D. several times when we were there in early August, and I was the only Canadian in the group and had no problem showing my license.
I just don't like the idea of having to carry my passport with me through the parks and my son is 6-years old and I was hoping to get away without taking a purse or bag into the parks this year, but obviously won't be putting my passport in my pocket.
Think I may just risk my driver's license

Were you asked for I.D. with alcohol purchases or discounts or for both?

I was asked every time for I.D. when using my AP or DVC discount this trip (just got back on Friday). They definitely have stepped up enforcing those.

My son and his girlfriend were denied alcohol purchase at DCA in California. They had driver's licenses and were told they needed to have their passports.

Were you asked for I.D. with alcohol purchases or discounts or for both?

I was asked every time for I.D. when using my AP or DVC discount this trip (just got back on Friday). They definitely have stepped up enforcing those.

That was for alcohol, this time around. I am in my mid-30s and the youngest in the group...while I don't recall anyone else being asked for ID in our group (they all made fun of me for it), my boss told me that everyone in our group was asked. So who know!

I did just show them my license there.

We don't like to carry our Passports around either, we leave them in the room safe.

I'm sure if you photo copy your passport and carry that with you (much lighter than a passport and I usually carry BOTH of ours), that should suffice if they don't accept our Driver's License.

We don't like to carry our Passports around either, we leave them in the room safe.

I'm sure if you photo copy your passport and carry that with you (much lighter than a passport and I usually carry BOTH of ours), that should suffice if they don't accept our Driver's License.

A photocopy of a passport is not an acceptable form of Id only an actual passport itself. If I knew that somewhere was going may possibly ID me and had a policy of accepting passports for people out of the country I would carry mine with me. If you are concerned about it getting wet put it in a ziplock bag. Also you could also carry an expired passport too, as it is still considered valid for ID just not for travel.

Copy of your passport only with a Government issued photo ID that states your birthday.

Actually according to AlohaDisney a copy looks to be fine so long as you back it up with some form of government photo ID. That's what I would do - I wouldn't want to risk losing or having the original stolen. We keep our passports in the in-room safe too.

Actually according to AlohaDisney a copy looks to be fine so long as you back it up with some form of government photo ID. That's what I would do - I wouldn't want to risk losing or having the original stolen. We keep our passports in the in-room safe too.

I would still carry a passport. Yes it can get stolen but so can any other piece of I.D. Something else to keep in mind a passport is the most accepted form of I.D. a it s a Federally issued piece of I.D. and most passports around the world lay out their info in the same way. On a test I had to take well in a college calls for Hospitality and Tourism one of the questions was "of the following which is an acceptable form of I.D. A) a possibly fake drivers licence, B.) a photocopy of a drivers licence, C.) an expired British passport or D.) none of the above.
'

The correct answer is the expired British Passport as even when expired a passport is still good as an I.D. So if you don't want to carry your current one with you and have an expired one take that with you as a piece of I.D.

I would still carry a passport. Yes it can get stolen but so can any other piece of I.D. Something else to keep in mind a passport is the most accepted form of I.D. a it s a Federally issued piece of I.D. and most passports around the world lay out their info in the same way. On a test I had to take well in a college calls for Hospitality and Tourism one of the questions was "of the following which is an acceptable form of I.D. A) a possibly fake drivers licence, B.) a photocopy of a drivers licence, C.) an expired British passport or D.) none of the above.
'

The correct answer is the expired British Passport as even when expired a passport is still good as an I.D. So if you don't want to carry your current one with you and have an expired one take that with you as a piece of I.D.

I'm not convinced an expired passport would be accepted as valid ID in many places.

Also, my driver's license is a lot easier to replace, if someone steals it or I lose it, and my passport is still locked up in the in-room safe, I can still get home without having to contact a consulate and trying to get some kind of temporary passport.

I'm not convinced an expired passport would be accepted as valid ID in many places.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/support/faq.aspx?lang=eng&id=q04454 Acording to pasport Cnad's website a pasport that has expired a yaer before your curent one can be used for ID

Also, my driver's license is a lot easier to replace, if someone steals it or I lose it, and my passport is still locked up in the in-room safe, I can still get home without having to contact a consulate and trying to get some kind of temporary passport.

Given the recent arrest of a maid for stealing from a room safe I would rather have my passport in my pocket on me at all times.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/support/faq.aspx?lang=eng&id=q04454 Acording to pasport Cnad's website a pasport that has expired a yaer before your curent one can be used for ID

Given the recent arrest of a maid for stealing from a room safe I would rather have my passport in my pocket on me at all times.

Passports are good for 5 years, your carrying around an expired passport trick will only work for 1 year....

Maids that steal are looking for cash, jewelry or electronics, they don't give a crap about my passport. People who are stealing my bag will just take the whole bag, and discard what isn't any value to them. I'm also not going to wander around the parks all day with my passport shoved in my front pockets, which means it's gonna be in my backpack/camera bag. I would say I'm more likely to lose/damage my passport in the parks, than if it's in the room safe.

I think there may be a few reasons why Disney may be having waitstaff ask for a passport as a piece of I.D.

1.) Many poel now in larger cities do not have a drivers licence as they don't drive.

2.) people often fake drivers license to use as I.D., not so much with passports.

3.) Passports are pretty much standard with where he information is and the type is easy to read as it is a bigger document then a drivers licence, which can vary from state to state and province to province even from country to country.

Well it may make it more difficult or not make sense to most travelers it's what the current policy is.

Just returned from 10 days at WDW. Was only asked for I.D. when using AP or DVC membership card for discounts. Only used my drivers license and had no issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter