I don't get it

Lori74

DIS Veteran
I'm not an animal person. I dont hate them, I just dont gush. I dont want my house to have animal hair, stains, or a funky smell that could possibly come along with a pet. I respect people who have pets, I dont judge when I leave someones house with hair on me, or if their house or yard has all the remnants of animals, its just not for me. I dont mind if someones pet is happily all over me, or even if they show bad manners. Its just not for me. I do not understand when ppl miss their pets on vacation, have pics of them everywhere. I do not understand when they grieve for long periods of time after they lose a pet. Dont get me wrong, I feel for them. I buy flowers, I lend a shoulder to cry on, I just dont get it.
This was me 10 years ago.
10 years ago, my 8 year old son was attacked by a German Shepard. Luckily the injuries were not severe, but psychologically it took its toll on him. He would not go near a dog. When walking to the park, if a dog was seen, we would have to find another route. He missed bday parties etc. if there were dogs. I happened to meet a lady and told her our story, he can't live this way. She asked what I thought about getting a puppy and letting them grow together. After my laughter died down I realized she wasnt laughing. She said really, think about it. Yeah right. The seed was planted. I researched and studied, all the while saying this isn't for me. I dont need more to do. I asked him, what do you think about puppies, would you be open to holding one. He said maybe. Through all my research, I decided a Golden Retriever might be a good fit. We found a breeder and asked if we could just come and test the waters with my son, there was a great possibility this was not happening. We were put in a large room with a litter. The pups all played with each other. One came out of the crowd to say hello. My son, along with the family, were agreeable. Great, I guess we do all kinds of things for our kids.
I was real about it, this was going to be my responsibility. I'll end up training, cleaning, doing everything. We do for our kids and if this helped my son develop a healthy relationship with dogs, I will step up.
The dog and I went through training classes. I was rather strict with her at home. Watched her like a hawk to see when she needed out. Made sure she did not get on furniture, did not jump on guests or chew what didnt belong to her. It came rather easy to her. She just wanted love and approval and she made sure I was happy. Well ok, maybe this wont be horrible. The 1st time we went away, we dropped her off at the kennel. I noticed when we left, she was not playing with others, she was in the corner by herself. Weird. I felt a tug in my heart. Something weird was happening with me, I was worrying about a dog. A dog.
As you all can see where this story is going... I started to get it. Her happiness mattered to me. Vacations meant leaving her. Hoping she was ok. Missing her. Walking in the front door meant an immediate greeting with her gorgeous smile and 'hi mom, i love you'. When she wasn't feeling well, and she threw up on the carpet, I worried about her, not the carpet. I didnt mind vacuuming every few days because of all the hair. It was needed exercise and time for her to practice letting the vacuum know she was the boss. All of the expensive trips to the groomer werent met with another chore to dread, it was hoping she was ok because she doesn't care for the loud hair dryers. I didnt even mind when the family would rev her up and she would get the zoomies and come jump on my bed and wake me in the mornings. She respected I didnt like doggie kisses, but she would nuzzle her face up between me and the pillow until she heard a giggle then would jump down. She helped my son trust again. She would get between me and anyone else that got to close. She wasnt mean about it, just made sure they understood there were boundaries. If my husband held my hand she would separate our hands, if he hugged me she would squeeze in. She sat by my side when my depressions hit. She would hug me when I needed it. There were days that got real dark, she just let me know she wasnt leaving my side.
Last year we bought our dream house finally. She was slowing down as old age does that to all of us. She had her yearly checkup just before we moved and vet said she was great looking. She seemed a bit depressed. Change can be hard. We made sure she had all of her comforts and everything that was home to her. I've never had a dog, I dont know what aging looks like, just figured this was typical. I was on the phone with my son. He gasped and said 'are you ok?' She fell. She got up, seemed ok and chalked it up to the new flooring she wasnt used to. I got home and immediately knew something was wrong. She was functioning, but just was off. 2 days, many tests a hospital visit, and a vet visit. nobody knew what was wrong. The vet kept her overnight to give her meds and supervision. We got a call, you need to come see her, she is declining and we need to make some decisions.
It was a cold Friday morning. We held her in our arms while she faded away.
Her name was Nala. She was 9 years old. She had a smile that would light up the room. It was a privilege and a joy to have her in our family.
I get it.

I'm not an animal person. I dont hate them, I just dont gush. I dont want my house to have animal hair, stains, or a funky smell that could possibly come along with a pet. I respect people who have pets, I dont judge when I leave someones house with hair on me, or if their house or yard has all the remnants of animals, its just not for me. I dont mind if someones pet is happily all over me, or even if they show bad manners. Its just not for me. I do not understand when ppl miss their pets on vacation, have pics of them everywhere. I do not understand when they grieve for long periods of time after they lose a pet. Dont get me wrong, I feel for them. I buy flowers, I lend a shoulder to cry on, I just dont get it.
10 years ago, my 8 year old son was attacked by a German Shepard. Luckily the injuries were not severe, but psychologically it took its toll on him. He would not go near a dog. When walking to the park, if a dog was seen, we would have to find another route. He missed bday parties etc. if there were dogs. I happened to meet a lady and told her our story, he can't live this way. She asked what I thought about getting a puppy and letting them grow together. After my laughter died down I realized she wasnt laughing. She said really, think about it. Yeah right. The seed was planted. I researched and studied, all the while saying this isn't for me. I dont need more to do. I asked him, what do you think about puppies, would you be open to holding one. He said maybe. Through all my research, I decided a Golden Retriever might be a good fit. We found a breeder and asked if we could just come and test the waters with my son, there was a great possibility this was not happening. We were put in a large room with a litter. The pups all played with each other. One came out of the crowd to say hello. My son, along with the family, were agreeable. Great, I guess we do all kinds of things for our kids.
I was real about it, this was going to be my responsibility. I'll end up training, cleaning, doing everything. We do for our kids and if this helped my son develop a healthy relationship with dogs, I will step up.
The dog and I went through training classes. I was rather strict with her at home. Watched her like a hawk to see when she needed out. Made sure she did not get on furniture, did not jump on guests or chew what didnt belong to her. It came rather easy to her. She just wanted love and approval and she made sure I was happy. Well ok, maybe this wont be horrible. The 1st time we went away, we dropped her off at the kennel. I noticed when we left, she was not playing with others, she was in the corner by herself. Weird. I felt a tug in my heart. Something weird was happening with me, I was worrying about a dog. A dog.
As you all can see where this story is going... I started to get it. Her happiness mattered to me. Vacations meant leaving her. Hoping she was ok. Missing her. Walking in the front door meant an immediate greeting with her gorgeous smile and 'hi mom, i love you'. When she wasn't feeling well, and she threw up on the carpet, I worried about her, not the carpet. I didnt mind vacuuming every few days because of all the hair. It was needed exercise and time for her to practice letting the vacuum know she was the boss. All of the expensive trips to the groomer werent met with another chore to dread, it was hoping she was ok because she doesn't care for the loud hair dryers. I didnt even mind when the family would rev her up and she would get the zoomies and come jump on my bed and wake me in the mornings. She respected I didnt like doggie kisses, but she would nuzzle her face up between me and the pillow until she heard a giggle then would jump down. She helped my son trust again. She would get between me and anyone else that got to close. She wasnt mean about it, just made sure they understood there were boundaries. If my husband held my hand she would separate our hands, if he hugged me she would squeeze in. She sat by my side when my depressions hit. She would hug me when I needed it. There were days that got real dark, she just let me know she wasnt leaving my side.
Last year we bought our dream house finally. She was slowing down as old age does that to all of us. She had her yearly checkup just before we moved and vet said she was great looking. She seemed a bit depressed. Change can be hard. We made sure she had all of her comforts and everything that was home to her. I've never had a dog, I dont know what aging looks like, just figured this was typical. I was on the phone with my son. He gasped and said 'are you ok?' She fell. She got up, seemed ok and chalked it up to the new flooring she wasnt used to. I got home and immediately knew something was wrong. She was functioning, but just was off. 2 days, many tests a hospital visit, and a vet visit. nobody knew what was wrong. The vet kept her overnight to give her meds and supervision. We got a call, you need to come see her, she is declining and we need to make some decisions.
Her name was Nala. She was 9 years old. She had a smile that would light up the room. It was a privilege and a joy to have her in our family.
I get it.
😭

I get it.
I’m soo sorry for your loss. I have a golden. He’s my 3rd one. All the things you said about Naal is true of him too. He’s the best dog I’ve ever had. They are wonderful dogs! Glad you had the time you had with her albeit too short 🥹.

I get it.
so sorry for your loss, what a beautiful tribute. So happy Nala could bring such joy to your family. May you see each other again someday at the Rainbow Bridge

@Lori74, your thoughts and words were like captivating poetry to me. Your words painted a 9 year portrait of fear, scepticism, acceptance, mutual learning, love, separation, sadness. A dog family here, though not currently. I understand. Like you, I get it also.

Best wishes for your son, you, your family. Know well, Lori, Nala will be there for your son, you, your family. She will be there, at the Bridge, playing, waiting......

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.

Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge, together....

Author unknown...

www.petloss.com

I'm so sorry for your loss. Dogs are members of the family, just like parents, children, and siblings are, and losing them is losing a family member. Know that Nala is now watching over you, and smiling down on you, grateful for the life you gave her.

I totally get it! I chose to give your post a “love” rather than a ”sad” emoji, because, in a way, it signifies the long period of time we have with them full of love and joy, as opposed to those last relatively few days of sorrow when they become old and sick and have to leave us. But it was a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I am so glad you were able to overcome your hesitations and get a great dog for your family. A golden retriever was a really smart choice for your first dog. I see his pic in your signature and he was beautiful. 💔 I am sorry your son was bitten, but you were so smart and brave to help him with his fears the way you did. I know a few people who are the way you first described. I will include a quote from veterinarian Dr. Pol at the end of this post if I can find it.

I currently live with dogs #7 and 8 in my life. One will be ten this year, and I am starting to see signs of aging. 🥲 He is the first little dog I‘ve ever had, and he is my little buddy. The other is a rescue we were told was 8 yrs old, but turned out to be much younger and more puppy-like with lots of energy. I am still not over the loss of the dog I had before them, she was my girl and I can’t even think about her without welling up. I also wrote a story like this here when I lost her. It helps.

1684160188422.jpeg

What a beautiful story! I have my own golden retriever who is 11.5 and I know he is nearing his time. Just THINKING about not seeing him brings on tears. We don't deserve dogs!

I'm so sorry for your loss. Our animals really do become part of our families. The grief is real. I am glad, though, that you were able to experience the love of having a pet as part of your family.

So so sorry for your loss.

I was the same way. Never had a dog growing up, wasn’t a fan of pets (but I never wanted to see an animal be hurt) and I didn’t “get it.” My kids begged for a dog for YEARS. My daughter made power point presentations. Finally I gave in a little over two years ago.

Now I get it. She’s “my” baby. I will cancel plans to hang out with her so she’s not alone. When she’s sick I get so worried and will drop everything for her and won’t complain about the money spent as long as she’s well. I am her favorite person.

My daughter leaves for college next year. It’s technically her dog and she says if she gets an apartment she wants to bring the dog with her. I told her she’d have to fight me in court and I have more money for a lawyer. :rotfl: I think she’s going to be my emotional support animal when DD goes to college. And vice versa because she loves DD and will miss her.

My husband and I often say to each other “who would’ve thought this would be us” lol.

God made dogs to give us joy and heartache, always with the knowledge that a dog loves unconditionally. I'm sorry for your loss, but happy for you that you had nine years of love with her.

I am so sorry for your loss. We have had dogs for the past 50 years and it is never easy to lose one. But they do bring joy. So glad you had the experience.

My niece (mother of three kiddos) recently lost her German Shepard. She asked a woman from a German Shepard rescue to bring over some puppies for their family to "visit" with them and see if one of the pups would be a good fit. The woman brought over three female puppies from the same litter, and the family couldn't resist. So now they have three puppies.

Just sayin, be careful!

What a bittersweet story. I obsessively love dogs. I grew up with one, and I loved her to death, and I haven’t had a dog since. And in a way I feel guilty because my daughter always wanted one to grow up with, but we always had the excuse “we travel too much”

In fact, when we’re taking walks, and my daughter sees another group of people walking their dog, she’ll say mom “leave the dog alone”. As I’m the one who tends to go crazy over other peoples dogs and it’s embarrassing for her lol.

Like your son, though, I was also attacked by dogs actually twice in my life. Once when I was little, I would say kindergarten or early grade school, and I have a scar in my left arm didn’t scare me off of dogs. But when I was 14, I got viciously attacked by a dog - ended up in the ER to get stiches on my hand and calf I was visiting my cousins, and they had recently adopted some random dog. When I walked in the house, the thing was going ballistic, and they had a hold it back, so I ran upstairs to my cousins room. The dog literally ran up the stairs, broke through a door and pulled me off the bed ( I was hunted down) I was like the third person this dog had attacked, and the dog was put down after me. (Putting it kindly my aunt doesn’t come from the same social background as us and just by chance I was over). for a while I was scared of larger, black dogs, more or less avoided them. I’m fine now.

I would love to have a dog

I am sorry for your loss. I was wondering as I started to read your post why someone posting that had a golden retreiver as their profile pic. Goldens are the best too - so sweet! They are exactly what I would recommend to anyone afraid of dogs or who need them to get along with other animals. They just have the best disposition! I am glad you had your beloved Nala and learned to love animals through her.

So sorry for your loss. The first dog DH and I rescued from our local SPCA was a mix of golden retriever and greyhound who was 4 years old at the time and lived to be 13. She started acting weird so took her to the vet and she suspected a brain tumor but we decided not to put her through all of the testing through a specialist as with her being so old would not do anything anyway. She kept getting worse and worse and we knew it was time to let her go. Those 3 weeks were awful. A few weeks after she was gone we went to the same shelter we got her from and found our current dog who is a shepherd and hound mix that had just turned 2 and had puppies that were all adopted out. Unfortunately she was abused and it takes her time to feel comfortable around people she sees all of the time and has separation anxiety hates when she is left alone but is now 8 years old and has come a long way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter