I feel like I'm cheating!

KrazyKat4DIS

Mouseketeer
I am a DLR girl through and through, but DBF and I are planning a big trip to WDW! So excited! Although, whenever I start planning all the restaurants we're going to try, and all the parks (and what order to do them in), I feel a sad twinge in my stomach. It feels like I am leaving poor DLR for a newer, flashier model...I could never leave my old faithful though!

On that note, I am curious as to what DL vets think of WDW. Any tips? I know there is a thread for WDW vets coming to DLR, but I am I would love some personal stories or tips for the reverse.

I loved it! I have been 3 times and it is great...NOT DL, but kinda like different varieties of apples...same family, but differences....we loved DTD there... too! LOVED the water parks too! ALL 3 hotels were great. all different ones. My one suggestion is for sure stay on site, it is WAY different then DL. It is like a little city with buses to all 4 parks etc. Have an open mind and you will love it!

I grew up at DL and felt the same way. I have now been three times and love it. It is different. So don't go with the same warm fuzzy feeling you have for DL. Create your new warm fuzzy feeling. Most importantly, DON'T compare them.

I feel exactly the same way but in the reverse order! I am a WDW gal through and through. Im trying to get excited about DL and of course I am looking forward to it, but as I am sat here in the office at home planning this trip I have photos on the wall looking down on me of us with Cinderella at the MK Castle, photos of Wishes and Illuminations etc, and I am heart sore for WDW :sad1:

The family said that they wanted to try something different next trip after the last 7 vacations at WDW so we are doing West Coast and Hawaii, but it was unbearable for me to think of a vacation and not having just a little bit of Disney, even for a couple of days, so to keep Mom happy and put a smile back on my face they agreed I could have 3 days in Disneyland. But its just not WDW! :sad2: Im exited to try something new and will go with an open mind but yes, I have those same twinges and I feel like a traitor :lmao:

HydroGuy also has an intro to WDW for DLR vets. I need to read that!

I have a prepretrip report started for WDW at the end of this year...it's funny, 5 minutes before we made the absolute decision that we would forgo DLR this year in order to save up fully for WDW, I could have talked to you like an expert about WDW, since I've been researching it thoroughly since I joined the Dis. But now that I"m really going, I've lost all my knowledge! Frustrating!

Good luck!

We went to WDW after many, many trips to DLR. We loved WDW! They are two very different vacations. Each has special things to offer.

Have a great time!

Thanks guys! :goodvibes

We are really excited! As I am sure every DLR vet feels when planning a WDW trip, I am completely overwhelmed! We have lots of time, but it's a lot more planning than DLR.

And, yes, I keep telling myself that while we are there I am NOT to compare. They are completely different parks! I did go when I was 8 with my family, and all I remember thinking was that it was A LOT of walking. :-) I will bring my most comfy shoes!

Bumber - I will head over and read your PTR. I haven't started one yet because we're so far out from going, but I want to start one soon too!

We visited WDW for the 1st time last Oct. ~ the weather was miserable, hot & humid - DLR in mid July was more tolerable! Disneyland is much better than Magic Kingdom, dining was wonderful (we had free dining) I loved the World Showcase in Epcot ~ to me that's the only thing DLR (S. CA) is missing. We'll return (probably next year ~ DS is getting older - we won't visit in the summer - it'll be harder for him to miss school as he gets older). We had a good time but DLR has my heart.

We are big-time local DL fans too, but have visited WDW 3 times and hope to return in Dec 2010. We love the many food and park choices, and enjoy seeing the similarities and differences between the Disneys of Anaheim and Orlando. I don't see comparing as a bad thing. Both places are magical in their own way. We love noticing the differences, for the better and the worse.

A WDW trip definitely takes more planning, so do your research (DISboards, guidebooks, wdwinfo.com, etc), but we find that planning a WDW trip is half the fun. Get your dining preferences in order and call for ADRs sooner than later once your 180-day window opens up. The WDW restaurant forum on the DISboards is a wealth of information and pictures.

Most of all, have a great time and don't feel guilty about choosing WDW over DL this trip. It will still be here when you come back. ;)

They had just started the quick service dining meal when we went to WDW last year. It was inexpensive and we didn't spend so much time on sitdown reservations/ meals. We did pick a couple character meals to go to but overall it was much cheaper and quicker with the quickservice meal plan.

I'm a WDW vet; been to DLR 3 times in past 4 years and I love it. When you go to WDW, try to remember that WDW is basically the size of Manhattan--it is a self-contained metropolis with it's own fire dept, water system, trash system, transportation system,etc. There are over 100 restaurants to choose from, 17 resort hotels on WDW property ranging from value, moderate to deluxe. You cannot walk from one park to another (unless you know the back way out of Epcot and can walk from the Boardwalk to Disney Hollywood studio along the canal). Nor is it easy to leave the park for an hour and pop into your hotel due to the distance. It may be a 20 min bus ride from Magic Kingdom to All Star Resorts. It is a common mistake most first timers make; they don't understand the distance/time required to get from point A to point B. Please remember to give yourself plenty of time to travel around the place. Another difference: WDW window for making reservations at dining locations is 6 months, whereas DLR is 2 months. There's a restaurant in Cinderella's castle and reservations for breakfast with Cindy run out fast. Some reservations are held with a credit card. We take our dining reservations seriously at WDW. :goodvibes To give you an idea of how big WDW is, consider this: Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Disney Hollywood Studio can all fit into Disney's Animal Kingdom! If you go during August/September, (which is hurricane season) Disney offers a free-food package: you pay full price for the room but you get meals free. you get to choose which restaurants you want to eat at. It's a pretty good deal especially for families with young children. Notes to remember: End of September - early Nov. is Epcot's Food and Wine Festival. April/May is Flower and Garden Festival. Both events feature free concerts from bands of the 60's' 70' and 80's. There's been a lot of buzz on these boards about comparing the two destinations. You cannot compare them. Just accept them for what they are. WDW is over the top Big :scared1: DLR is Walt's park. :lovestruc I am happy to love them both for what they are. I hope you can too.

Me too! We are planning our first trip to the World for fall 2011. Right now I'm stressing about the "when". I'd like to do 10 days, but we'll have to go during the school year so I'm struggling with that. We have a 2 month window to go (after hurricane/summer humidity because of DD any my asthma, and before I start nursing school in Jan 2012....(This fall is out because DH and I are going to St. Lucia next Jan for our 10th anniversary!:cool1:) Right now I'm just doing "budgeting research" and am overwhelmed!

We're feeling the same way. We've both been to WDW. My trip was a few years ago and partners was when he was a teenager. This will be our first trip together and we both feel strange about it, like we're cheating on DL or something. :rotfl:

I'm a diehard DL fan, but I can say that I enjoy WDW very much. BUT, both are so different. DL for us is a nice small weekend trip and WDW is a full on vacation. We know what to expect at WDW and what to expect at DL. They're just such different experiences.

Our biggest thing to get use to is being able to take five minutes to walk between parks or being able to walk across the street from our hotel to the parks. At WDW it's a long bus ride no matter where you go. It just takes a lot more planning.

Overall I prefer DW but that is due to the size really. DL is a two day thing and DW is a 5 (minimum) day thing.
I can't afford to go to DW every time as it is further away than DL and you pretty much have to stay on property at DW (which is a good thing too).
Right now I would say DL is better than the Magic Kingdom Park at DW. The MK is bigger overall but they closed the submarine ride there some years ago instead of refurbing it like at DL. Also the MK Toon Town is pretty weak. Once the MK is done with its major refurb (2013) it will probably be up to par again.
California Adventures and Hollywood Studios are probably the closest things you can compare between the two locations. Both are currently kinda sucky but I think I prefer HS a smidge. When CA is done with its refurb (2012?) it won't be even close though.
What DL can't offer are Epcot (World Showcase) and especially the Animal Kingdom. For some the AK is kinda of slow but that's what I like about it. Mosey around and look at the animals. It is also very new and the attention to details there are incredible. Once you start considering that one ride (Safari) at the AK is the size of DL, it's pretty darn impressive.
Epcot is dated but it has its own unique feel and styling. The World Showcase there is a giant ethnic shopping center with gourmet eateries a plenty.
One thing I will say is that if you’re out of shape you can grin and bear it and make it through DL. You can’t with DW. 5 days of exploring an area the size of Manhattan is extremely taxing even if you are in good shape. Everyone should walk a couple miles a day several times a week before going.
Hope this helps.

To the OP...I'm the exact opposite...I too am a WDW vet and could've never IMAGINED going to DLR....but we are going for our first time in less than a month and I'm elated! I love love LOVE WDW! I'm not what you would call a typical Disney fanatic (don't hate me for saying all of this)...I don't eat, breathe and sleep Disney but the parks just hit me in my heart and soul!! We don't plan out our trips, don't make ressies anywhere....we just go and have a blast doing it. If we miss out...we miss out but we've never had a trip disappoint us becuz the next time we're there we always get to do something different. Sometimes I think I should be better organized about it but the fun for us is the unexpected. That's why this trip to DLR is filled with so much anticipation becuz we've never been and can't wait to try it all out!!! You're not cheating on DLR. You're just going to try something different and it's okay to break out of the box! Have fun doing it :)

KrazyKat4DIS,

I am a life-long Disney fan. My DH & I have had some form of APs for years. We live locally to DLR most of our lives. I LOVE Disneyland. It is my playground, my place to unwinding, my spot to "reset" when life gets hectic.

Two years ago DH and I went to WDW for our 10 year wedding anniversary. (It was just us, not kids.) It was an amazing, wonderful, memorable trip (that we tried SOOOO hard to return again last year, but couldn't swing the airfare :( ).

You will love it.

My key tips:
- Do NOT think of it as a bigger Disneyland. WDW is 4 parks, 2 waterparks, DtD, and I-don't-know-how-many resorts (hotels). DLR is 2 parks, DtD, and 3 hotels. You cannnot compare them.

- If you MUST make comparisons, the comparison is Disneyland to The Magic Kingdom. And the best way to describe this is: Imagine your house. Now imagine another (duplicate) of your house, but as you walk through, the furniture isn't quite in the right place, the pictures on the walls are sllghtly different than yours, and the collectibles are a mix of yours and ones you've never seen before. It feels like home, but it's not. It seems familiar, but different at the exact same time. That's the best way I can describe it.

- Read HydroGuy's WDW tips for DLR-goers.

- Take a peek at my pre-trip threads:
1. This thread has lots of great tips that helped me tremendously.
2. Might find some grains of information helpful.
3. Great tips of what to do in the Parks
4. My tiny trip report (I am SOOOO bad at reports, diaries, etc....)

- Make ADRs. They are needed at WDW, very, very different from DLR.

- Enjoy. EPCOT is like nothing anywhere, AK is very special, and DHS is a lot of fun. You will love it. And when you return to Disneyland, you will fall in love all over again - with your first love.

- Dreams

- If you MUST make comparisons, the comparison is Disneyland to The Magic Kingdom. And the best way to describe this is: Imagine your house. Now imagine another (duplicate) of your house, but as you walk through, the furniture isn't quite in the right place, the pictures on the walls are sllghtly different than yours, and the collectibles are a mix of yours and ones you've never seen before. It feels like home, but it's not. It seems familiar, but different at the exact same time. That's the best way I can describe it.

I love that description! That's exactly how I felt when I went to DLR for the first time!!!!! I knew exactly where everything should be, but it was slightly altered. Thanks--I'm gonna use that description for my friends.

When you step onto Main Street in the Magic Kingdom, it's like you've discovered a tear in the space-time continuim. Everything is backwards, farther apart & the castle is huge. Small World is INSIDE -- it's crazy!

Frankly, while we enjoyed our 3 trips to WDW, we love our beloved DL way more! With that said there are a few things they did right in Florida:

1) they have more benches
2) Yak & Yeti restaurant (you must have the Mango Pie) -- Animal Kingdom
3) Chefs de France -- Epcot
4) They put Splash Mountain next to Big Thunder, one day we had somehow managed to collect 4 fastpasses for each ride, so by the time we used them at the end of the day, we rode Splash Mountain 4 times & were completely soaked. Then we "spun dry" on Big Thunder. I haven't quite figured it out, but Big Thunder is better in Florida -- it's more than just the bathtub guy -- the ride is better.
5) Animal Kingdom - When we go again, we may not go to any other park. All the e-ticket rides except the ones in Animal Kingdom are in DL, so we may just do the water parks (which we haven't done yet), Animal Kingdom & the Space Center.

We don't like the fact that it's hard to ride more than 2 - 3 E-ticket rides in a day. Our kids are too little to appreciate Epcot or Hollywood Studio shows. So we aren't going back for several years.

I would recommend taking a day trip out to the Kennedy Space Center. That was a highlight for each of our trips -- they have a two day for one pass and we have always wished that we'd planned for two days instead of one there. Plan on one of their tours -- they do sell out in advance.

Oh and people wait in line at the fastpass lines -- drives me crazy! They miss the whole point....:mad: It must be because there isn't anything else to do in the meantime, because there are only a few decent rides in each park.

You are cheating...but you'll be forgiven!!!

WOW! Thank you all for the great suggestions...and easing my guilt! ;)

Dreams - I love your description! I did go to WDW when I was 8 and I remember feeling disoriented. I can't wait to go back! Unfortunately, my memory is fading of that trip, so this is essentially my first time

Just out of curiousity, what resort did you guys stay in (those DLR vets who have gone)? We are looking at mods, but might upgrade. I dunno...We don't have kids so the pool isn't necessarily a big draw for us. I'd to stay at the Boardwalk (I think it's that one). The one connected to EPCOT. It seems fun to go dine/drink "around the world" and walk back to your room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter