I finally get why people walk reservations. Disappointed.

Not true, there are dedicated 2 bedrooms at BLT in the standard category. I have booked them.

But if you mean there are no dedicated studios, then yes.
Yes, conversation was about studios, guess I shoulda clarified though.

I wonder if the last few years might be distorted. When parks closed for Covid, most people were banking points. This led to a lot of points being used from second half of on.
Additionally, cruises were last to come back so some who would trade points for DCL travel used them at parks.

IMHO, it would have been much better if DVD had at least diversified by making some of the hotel rooms have a King bed instead of 2 queens.
we prefer the resort studios, but want the King Bed, which means if we are booking a studio, we are doing deluxe studio...

don't mind the lack of fridge, etc. but the king bed, at this phase of life, is what we want. I agree not doing some King w Murphy Beds was a mistake in my view.

we prefer the resort studios, but want the King Bed, which means if we are booking a studio, we are doing deluxe studio...

don't mind the lack of fridge, etc. but the king bed, at this phase of life, is what we want. I agree not doing some King w Murphy Beds was a mistake in my view.
King with Murphy would be fantastic. Are there any DVC rooms anywhere with this combo?

There are ways to stop and detect it as well but they don't care to an.

The simplest (although lax) is simply having the reservation origination Checkin date compared to end dates. If the system sees an active modification multiple times in the 11 month + 9 days window it flags it or stops you from modifying online.

When calling you get a final warning recorded that you have to accept stating it's the final modification to the reservation.

Will still have some walking the week prior to a specific date but would stop the multi months long walking.

The simplest (although lax) is simply having the reservation origination Checkin date compared to end dates. If the system sees an active modification multiple times in the 11 month + 9 days window it flags it or stops you from modifying online.

When calling you get a final warning recorded that you have to accept stating it's the final modification to the reservation.

Will still have some walking the week prior to a specific date but would stop the multi months long walking.
I wouldn't be opposed to something to limit it, but it seems there are many who would be, and prefer the status quo.

King with Murphy would be fantastic. Are there any DVC rooms anywhere with this combo?

Well, the studios don't. But the 1BRs all do.

I'm one of those people who really doesn't like studios. For three or more people, I would never consider a single studio/hotel room for more than one night as a bridge to something else. Even for a couple, a villa/condo is much nicer--especially if you have one night owl and one early bird. I'd rather spend less offsite in a condo than stay in a studio for more than a few nights even as a couple. But we are also not open-close theme park people, and make ample use of the room as a home base, so YMMV.

It's really unfortunate that DVC more or less used sq. ft. as the basis for point assignments, because it ended up significantly under-pointing studios and over-pointing 1BRs relative to each other. Most other systems have a much narrower gap between studio and 1BR point costs, and they tend to be more in balance.

Definitely not in favor of any change that involves penalties for changes outside the current rules.

Think of it…is it only at exactly 11 months or does a room booked at 2 days in to the window that is being modified count?

Any restrictions for modifications for the small number of rooms that get walked across all the resorts is going to impact more non walkers than it will walkers.

You follow behind or waitlist…if it’s truly only walking and not demand, that will work. If a waitlist doesn’t? It means too many owners wanted the rooms and no matter what, people will still be shut out.

If there are 50 rooms and 250 want them, no matter what the rules, 200 are shut out.

Well, the studios don't. But the 1BRs all do.

I'm one of those people who really doesn't like studios. For three or more people, I would never consider a single studio/hotel room for more than one night as a bridge to something else. Even for a couple, a villa/condo is much nicer--especially if you have one night owl and one early bird. I'd rather spend less offsite in a condo than stay in a studio for more than a few nights even as a couple. But we are also not open-close theme park people, and make ample use of the room as a home base, so YMMV.

It's really unfortunate that DVC more or less used sq. ft. as the basis for point assignments, because it ended up significantly under-pointing studios and over-pointing 1BRs relative to each other. Most other systems have a much narrower gap between studio and 1BR point costs, and they tend to be more in balance.
My boys don't leave their rooms when we are at home, so I kind of enjoy all 4 of us being crammed into a studio :)

Definitely not in favor of any change that involves penalties for changes outside the current rules.

Think of it…is it only at exactly 11 months or does a room booked at 2 days in to the window that is being modified count?

Any restrictions for modifications for the small number of rooms that get walked across all the resorts is going to impact more non walkers than it will walkers.

You follow behind or waitlist…if it’s truly only walking and not demand, that will work. If a waitlist doesn’t? It means too many owners wanted the rooms and no matter what, people will still be shut out.

If there are 50 rooms and 250 want them, no matter what the rules, 200 are shut out.
Yes, I see walking as more benign in this light. Just some frustration and consternation on the front end when booking at 11 months, but can work out in the end if/when the days are walked through.

I also wasn't familiar with waitlisting and how it can replace an existing reservation, so that's a good lesson for me.

There are no studios with a king, you’ll need a 1 bedroom.

I also tend to do 1BRs. The 1BR premium is interesting to me how it varies by resort. In theory, it should be based on square footage, but in my analysis it does not usually correlate to that. I'm assuming demand is what causes the variation.

VGF has the highest premium for a 1BR, and that's partly why I didn't buy there this summer. I'm assuming there is demand that is pushing the points premium that high at VGF? Because BLT does not have the same premium for 1BRs. But overall it feels like there is no rhyme or reason to the 1BR premium.

ResortView1BR Point Premium1BR Square Footage Increase
VGFStandard128%126%
RIVPreferred127%92%
AKVValue122%99%
RIVStandard121%92%
VGFLake119%126%
OKWStandard118%158%
OKWNear Hospitality118%158%
BWVGarden/Pool118%98%
BWVBoardwalk118%98%
BCVStandard116%102%
BRVStandard114%104%
SSRPreferred107%113%
CCVStandard103%100%
BWVStandard103%98%
AKVKilimanjaro Club103%97%
SSRStandard102%113%
HHIStandard101%88%
AULPool Side Gardens100%112%
AULOcean100%112%
VGCStandard100%128%
BLTTheme Park98%137%
BLTLake96%137%
AKVStandard95%97%
AKVSavanna94%120%
AULStandard92%112%
BLTStandard89%137%
VBStandard86%135%
AULIsland Gardens85%112%

I booked at 9 am on sat and had no problem getting 2 studios-std view at riviera for Thanksgiving week. And I was 2 hrs late as I'm in CST.
I checked availability before the 8am booking time. For a deluxe studio, the Friday before my desired dates was unavailable, but the rest were open. This was when I first became worried that someone was walking, which I guess turned out to be the case.

I understand the "this is how a timeshare works" sentiment. But I would wager that many or most of the people buying DVC are under the impression that they are going to be able to book the rooms they want at 11 months at their home resort.

I think that instead of vague statements like "it depends on where you are booking and what time of year it is", the guides should be explicitly saying that certain room types, often the lower point-value rooms, are in high demand and may not be available even at your home resort. I don't think it is unreasonable for buyers of the DVC product to be fairly informed about what they are buying.
While I don't really disagree, as a buyer of any product, it is your responsibility to research and know what you are getting prior to buying. I don't expect a car salesman to tell me that a certain make of car has more problems or is more expensive to fix than others. It's my job to know those things going in. I did months of research on DVC before buying, just like I did before buyiung my last car. If you don't do those things then thats really on you, not the guide. We bought in Jan 2020 and my husband was sold on the whole magical express, bags delivered to your resort, all of those things. I knew they could all go away, so even if I hate that, I can't really complain bc I knew it was always a possibility.

I also tend to do 1BRs. The 1BR premium is interesting to me how it varies by resort. In theory, it should be based on square footage, but in my analysis it does not usually correlate to that. I'm assuming demand is what causes the variation.

VGF has the highest premium for a 1BR, and that's partly why I didn't buy there this summer. I'm assuming there is demand that is pushing the points premium that high at VGF? Because BLT does not have the same premium for 1BRs. But overall it feels like there is no rhyme or reason to the 1BR premium.

ResortView1BR Point Premium1BR Square Footage Increase
VGFStandard128%126%
RIVPreferred127%92%
AKVValue122%99%
RIVStandard121%92%
VGFLake119%126%
OKWStandard118%158%
OKWNear Hospitality118%158%
BWVGarden/Pool118%98%
BWVBoardwalk118%98%
BCVStandard116%102%
BRVStandard114%104%
SSRPreferred107%113%
CCVStandard103%100%
BWVStandard103%98%
AKVKilimanjaro Club103%97%
SSRStandard102%113%
HHIStandard101%88%
AULPool Side Gardens100%112%
AULOcean100%112%
VGCStandard100%128%
BLTTheme Park98%137%
BLTLake96%137%
AKVStandard95%97%
AKVSavanna94%120%
AULStandard92%112%
BLTStandard89%137%
VBStandard86%135%
AULIsland Gardens85%112%
So, the 1 bedroom at Kidani and BLT are the best bargains at WDW

1BRs are generally the last to book. It’s hard to argue demand in that case.
Yeah, my more cynical view on this is that Disney artificially underpriced the studios at VGF and RIV in comparison to other units to make the resorts easier to sell. At least, that's the only reason I can come up with for why the studios at those resorts are so cheap (in comparison to other units).

So, the 1 bedroom at Kidani and BLT are the best bargains at WDW
I guess? Unless you want to make the reverse argument and say VGF and RIV are the best bargain studios at WDW. But I don't think anyone would agree with that 🤣

I booked at 9 am on sat and had no problem getting 2 studios-std view at riviera for Thanksgiving week. And I was 2 hrs late as I'm in CST.

While I don't really disagree, as a buyer of any product, it is your responsibility to research and know what you are getting prior to buying. I don't expect a car salesman to tell me that a certain make of car has more problems or is more expensive to fix than others. It's my job to know those things going in. I did months of research on DVC before buying, just like I did before buyiung my last car. If you don't do those things then thats really on you, not the guide. We bought in Jan 2020 and my husband was sold on the whole magical express, bags delivered to your resort, all of those things. I knew they could all go away, so even if I hate that, I can't really complain bc I knew it was always a possibility.
I think your points are valid. I did specifically ask my guide about availability, though I will admit I didn't do an exhaustive search on this forum prior to purchase.

I would say the difference between DVC and a car salesman is that the purchaser of DVC is going to have a relationship with Disney for decades. The car salesman wants your money, then you drive off the lot and he doesn't have to deal with you the rest of your ownership experience.

Disney has a bigger incentive to want their customers to feel good about the DVC purchase. I'll bet that's a huge reason for the "welcome home" thing where they pull out all the stops to get you your first reservation.

In a 1BR, they are in the common space and cannot retreat. However, the adults can…8-)
Yeah, my more cynical view on this is that Disney artificially underpriced the studios at VGF and RIV in comparison to other units to make the resorts easier to sell. At least, that's the only reason I can come up with for why the studios at those resorts are so cheap (in comparison to other units).

I guess? Unless you want to make the reverse argument and say VGF and RIV are the best bargain studios at WDW. But I don't think anyone would agree with that 🤣
1BDs are great as long as they have 2 bathrooms!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter