I had to un-decorate my room window!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've stayed at the BWV twice, and one time right before Christmas we really enjoyed seeing the little Christmas lights folks had on their balconies! It was like it was their little "home". Very cute!

I think if it really harmed the room upon departure, surely the hotel would have some recourse. If it's just "bothering" them, well, I think it's cute!

We are going next month to POFQ. I am bringing two strands of Chrismas lights, along with suction cup hooks, and window clings. I've done the window clings before (and brought a tree) at the BWV. No one ever minded those.

I think it's great. As long as there isn't profanity, and it can be cleaned up, I don't see why anyone would mind?

We don't decorate our door and window, but have nothing against it. In fact, we sometimes notice the decorations walking the resort and enjoy seeing how others decorate. I do not think it's right to damage property and any damage should be chrged to the guest, but I also think if someone wants to decorate without damaging anything they should have fun and do it. :smickey:

I took my 2 kids to Disney this summer and stayed at the All Stars Movie. There was a room beside us that had cute window decorations in it (the kind you see in the scrapbooking aisle) with a few streamers. My kids got sooo incredibly excited and demanded that I take a picture of it. We leave Friday for our Christmas trip and we are staying at Pop. I have already bought window clings of the princesses, cars, and Tink dressed in Christmas themed clothing. I know my kids will love it and I hope to brighten the day of someone else's - just like the reaction my kids showed back in June. :goodvibes

We don't decorate our door and window, but have nothing against it. In fact, we sometimes notice the decorations walking the resort and enjoy seeing how others decorate. I do not think it's right to damage property and any damage should be chrged to the guest, but I also think if someone wants to decorate without damaging anything they should have fun and do it. :smickey:

.....That decorating one's door is a lot like a woman's make-up or drinking, eating, etc.........that it's ok......i-n m-o-d-e-r-a-t-i-o-n :laughing: since I also believe in the old adage of "Less is More."
Per se, yes - I too am decorating my door (01-07-09 to 01-11-09 @ CBR) - but......I also work in the hotel industry.......therefore enough said.

Hmmmm..I never even thought of decorating a hotel room when I'm staying in it.

Problem is, they usually decorate the window, not the room. Everyone says how much they enjoy the decorations they put up, but you put them in a place where you will hardly ever see them, but everyone else can? :confused3

If you enjoy them so much, decorate your ROOM so you can enjoy them while you are there, but no one else has to look at them.

I will chime in on any of these threads I find. I dont think you should decorate your windows. I can 'kinda' see some simple decorations around xmas time perhaps, but other then that, nope.

And I know the OP from this thread probably spent a good deal of time on it, but IMO it really didnt look that good to me. :confused3 It's my opinion, and no one else has to like it or agree with it.

I just got back from a stay at Pop Century and saw plenty of decorations in the windows, many of which stayed up during my entire stay, so I don't think that Pop Century is enforcing a ban on window decorations.

However, I saw a spectrum of different stuff, from a few stuffed animals on the sill to a single string of lights to a wild lighted display with enough adhesive tape on the glass to cause Mousekeeping a huge headache after those folks checked out.

Personally, I put up a few vinyl window clings, causing no damage and requiring no cleanup, and called it a day.

I don't mind seeing window decorations at the resorts at all. I don't think they spoil the ambience of the resort (as long as they are within reason), and I even like seeing non-holiday decorations during other times of the year. Of course, any damage or additional cleanup is completely unacceptable.

I love the idea of decorating your windows and door. I plan on doing this when I go in April. And I look foward to see everyone elses.

What can it hurt? If they ask you take it down. Do it. End of story.

Also in reply to do you do it at other hotels? Acutally yes I have. When I was in high school and went to conference with FHA and FBLA we decorated our windows and doors with school spirt stuff like "Go Team" or "Good luck". And I did when I used to attend Fan Fair in Nashville TN.

What can it hurt?

The guestroom product. Earlier this year I stayed in the last section at SSR to be declared into inventory - essentially a 'brand new' guest room. The door was heavily marked and scratched and dinged which well may have been from decorations - there were bits of tape left, and it would appear that someone had tried to peel something off the door.

That means Engineering has to do the repairs, and can increase the cost for all of us.

I don't share subjective opinions here, but when guests damage rooms I do believe that they should be charged.

The guestroom product. Earlier this year I stayed in the last section at SSR to be declared into inventory - essentially a 'brand new' guest room. The door was heavily marked and scratched and dinged which well may have been from decorations - there were bits of tape left, and it would appear that someone had tried to peel something off the door.

That means Engineering has to do the repairs, and can increase the cost for all of us.

I don't share subjective opinions here, but when guests damage rooms I do believe that they should be charged.

I totally agree with you if damage is done. I have always cleaned up after myself and made sure the room is the way I found it...if not better.

As everyone has stated, it was likely the writing on the window. As well as one other person posted with it being Magic Music Days, a competition thing between groups.

That being said, I've also read where people think it childish and silly to decorate the window/door of your room as it takes away from the ambiance of the resort. Some of those also stated that people should decorate inside as well. Ok. I can see that. But, be honest, of those that have posted that, how often are you at your resort to see the decorated window/door? Honestly, those who are decorating don't spend a lot of time in their room to enjoy the decorations if they only decorated the room and not the window/door. I feel that by decorating the door/window, it's allowing other guests to enjoy the additional site at the resort. And as many have posted, they decorate because it helps their families find the room easier.

We will be staying at ASmu starting this Sunday and have made a very cute wreath using Green Mickey heads and a few pink mickey heads. We will be hanging it on our door. (As an aside, what do DISer's recommend using to hang things on the door? Our wreath is made out of poster board, so I'm thinking tape...or something. Any suggestions are appreciated.) We had planned to do the windows, but never made it anywhere to find window clings.

Anywho. We're all entitled to our opinions and should respect each other accordingly.

DISNEY IS NOT MAKING ANYONE TAKE DOWN DECORATIONS! It was the MARKERS! I have been three times since this and decorated EVERY TIME and it is not a problem! I even asked the management. Clean it up and they don't care.

By the way, I can't think of any decoration that would "scratch or ding" a door. Sounds more like luggage or something else slamming/swiping it. How would tape ding a door? Peel off paint maybe, but not ding it.

By the way, I can't think of any decoration that would "scratch or ding" a door. Sounds more like luggage or something else slamming/swiping it. How would tape ding a door? Peel off paint maybe, but not ding it.

Luggage at eye level? Doubtful.

Then do you have any insight as to what decorations could ding and scratch doors?

Double-sided adhesive mounting tape or squares, duct tape or other strong adhesive, metal wreath hangers, magnetic hangers or ornaments... the list is endless.

IMHO......that is a good thing!!!!!!!
If I posted what I think it looks like the MODS would be chasing me down.

I know that people do it at the values & that is one of the many reasons we will NEVER stay there but when I saw it at a deluxe I had a fit....bottom line later that morning it was taken down:cool1:

IMHO......that is a good thing!!!!!!!
If I posted what I think it looks like the MODS would be chasing me down.

I know that people do it at the values & that is one of the many reasons we will NEVER stay there but when I saw it at a deluxe I had a fit....bottom line later that morning it was taken down:cool1:

I find it hard to believe that you have that much power at a Disney resort that your "fit"...influenced the decorations coming down. More than likely the people checked out.

By the way you sound like a "Grinch"...

I find it hard to believe that you have that much power at a Disney resort that your "fit"...influenced the decorations coming down. More than likely the people checked out.

By the way you sound like a "Grinch"...

No just prefer the resorts not to look like a trailer park.

Thanks for the personal insult.

I think the decorations are fun and in the spirit of celebrating a fun vacation! I can understand why they might charge extra too, if they aren't taken down, Mousekeeping needs to clean it and there could be repair costs if you've used too much tape.

I haven't decorated my window, but I did see a few people with Alien Green Mickey heads in their window and it made me laugh. :)

Being called grinch-like is nice considering you've insulted anyone who stays at a value by saying it's a trailer park. :confused3

See, that is your opinion, not mine. I think the decorations add to the fun of the resorts. They make them look festive!:goodvibes

I agree with a PP. I don't think your complaint was enough to cause another paying guest to un-decorate their windows. They were most likely just due to leave anyway.

And the whole "trailer park" comment was just unnecessary. I know some very nice people who live in them. Just like I know some not so nice people who live outside of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter