I know this will sound silly...

leebee

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to pack for our trip that starts on MONDAY 1/4/21!! Weather.com says the majority of our trip will have temps at 70 and partly cloudy. What should I bring for clothes? It sounds stupid, but it's been so long since we've had temps in the 70s that I'm not sure what to pack! Capris or jeans? Long sleeve shirts or tees and thin cardigans? I know that I'll need my warm hoodie for the evenings, and I'll have my LLBean winter coat as we are flying from Maine, but I'm not sure what I'll want for daytime! I suspect that "layering" will be the answer, of course, but if I can cut down on the packing (and schlepping of suitcases), I'd like to!

I'm from PA and I'd pack mostly t-shirts, shorts and maybe 2 pairs of pants. I'm thinking you'd start the day with a light jacket which you'd take off as the day goes on.

Around here kids start wearing shorts when it's around 55. I don't like shorts, but with all the walking in Disney I'd dress for the warmest weather of the day. In your case, 70s to me in FL means shorts and t-shirt.

Funny we just had that same discussion yesterday as we have an upcoming long weekend trip Jan 6-11 (daytime highs mid 70s, overnight lows mid 50s) -- planning for shorts and hooded sweatshirts for the mornings until it gets warm, then they go into the backpack until late afternoons and that should be good until park closing.

Looking at the forecast right now, you may barely reach a high of 70. Plan for the low temp. You can always take a hoodie off, but if you're cold, you're miserable. High 66/Low 45 on Mon and Tues means most of your day will be in the 50s.

Layers are your friend. We were there in Jan. last year (late Jan) and it was cold and wet. We have been in mid to late December and one year it was cold, one we were wearing shorts. I would take capris and long pants, tshirts and long sleeve shirts and jackets. It gets cool to cold at night (I'm from Georgia anything below 60 is cold). And don't forget rain gear, it may or may not rain.

I would pack shorts and hoodies with one pair of jeans. If you end up needing the jeans more you can always wash.

As a fellow New Englander, that is summer weather for us. I’d pack shorts or capri’s (whatever you usually wear in summer). T-shirts or other short-sleeves. We’d layer for travel to avoid the bulky winter stuff: jeans, light top, sweatshirt, fleece jacket or windbreaker, sneakers or hiking boots, hat and gloves if needed. For the few minutes outdoors at home between house/car/airport we’d manage without heavy winter coats and boots. Park in a parking garage if possible so you don’t have snow to trudge through. You’ll save valuable packing space by wearing your warmer layers; maybe pack an extra hoodie.

When we’ve gone in January, we’ve packed mostly summer clothes plus a couple pairs of pants and some long sleeved shirts. We wear heavy fleeces into the airport and on the plane. There was one night in early January 2019 where we needed them...but the next day was pool weather. Coming from CT, we found it to be really nice except for that one night.

I opt for short sleeve shirts that I can layer with maybe a light button down long sleeve shirt/light cardigan vs taking long sleeve t shirts. Zippered fleece jackets are great. I’ve been known to wear capris with a sweatshirt, t-shirt, scarf and thin mittens as the outer layers can end up in my bag or a locker as the day warms up. Renting a locker or a light weight backpack or things you can tie around your waist can help you not have to carry too much but not be in the wrong clothes for the weather. If you have any indoor dining planned, it will likely feel cool inside. Not sure if you are a leggings or yoga pant person, but those can be the right weight for surviving between about 60-75 degrees. Also, those peak temps you see will likely be for about 2-4 hours each day. Mornings will be colder and the temp will drop again when the sun starts to go down.

I'm from NE OH, not as hardy as a Mainer, but used to winters with negative temps. We went at the end of January in 2019, when the temps barely made it to the lower 70's some days, after 2pm, if you are standing in the sun...the other days were colder. I mainly wore wide leg yoga pants, a tee shirt and a hoodie. Around 11, the hoodie would be tossed in the backpack and brought out again when the temps started to drop around 6. Bring the thin stretchy gloves just in case since they take up such little room, but can help so much.

On sunny days, the temperature drops about 20 degrees as soon as the sun goes down. And that's pretty early this time of year. 55 degrees in the sun feels very different than 55 degrees after dark. I've been to Disney in the winter every year for quite a long time. There are usually a few nights each trip when I've worn my winter coat. I have seen many tourists at the Columbia Outlet store buying winter clothing because they thought Orlando has the same weather as Miami.

I'm from PA and I'd pack mostly t-shirts, shorts and maybe 2 pairs of pants. I'm thinking you'd start the day with a light jacket which you'd take off as the day goes on.

Around here kids start wearing shorts when it's around 55. I don't like shorts, but with all the walking in Disney I'd dress for the warmest weather of the day. In your case, 70s to me in FL means shorts and t-shirt.
Important thing to check though is the expected wind. 70 degrees with a 20 mph wind can be very chilly. I wouldn't bring a winter coat unless you are leaving from an area that is cold and you need it when you leave and when you return. But a lightweight windbreaker, sweat shirt with hoodie for evening would be a good idea. Shorts if you wear them and either a T or a polo should be all you need them along with at least one pair of comfortable pants of your choice just in case the weather takes a nasty turn on you. It's been known to happen in central Florida. And it can get chilly in the morning and evening in January including frost. You just don't really need massive amounts of things, no one is check to she if you wore the same thing yesterday.

I'm trying to pack for our trip that starts on MONDAY 1/4/21!! Weather.com says the majority of our trip will have temps at 70 and partly cloudy. What should I bring for clothes? It sounds stupid, but it's been so long since we've had temps in the 70s that I'm not sure what to pack! Capris or jeans? Long sleeve shirts or tees and thin cardigans? I know that I'll need my warm hoodie for the evenings, and I'll have my LLBean winter coat as we are flying from Maine, but I'm not sure what I'll want for daytime! I suspect that "layering" will be the answer, of course, but if I can cut down on the packing (and schlepping of suitcases), I'd like to!
I looked back on our January 2019 trip (same time frame) and we are arriving on 1/9-1/20 this January. A couple days we were in shorts and tank tops with sandals, shorts and sweatshirts, and one day we had to bring out our winter coats...all in the same week.

I am packing a couple pairs of jeans, a couple pairs of capris, some Disney leggings, and some shorts with a mix of short sleeved and long sleeved tops. I also have a packable down winter coat that scrunches up to fit in a small drawstring bag along. Basically, a little bit of everything!

We live in WI so upper 60s and 70s are perfect weather for us.

It's been cold here recently. But it seems like a warming trend. Bring a jacket and warm clothes. But dont expect the best :)

This is an edit: A cold day at dis is better than a warm day anywhere else. cliche.

We had similar temps over Christmas week, aside from Christmas eve where it was 80 and beyond which was pretty chilly for Florida. We packed jeans and t-shirts, and a few pairs of shorts, but mainly wore jeans and t-shirts (DD9 wore her leggings since she has sensory issues and jeans area a no go unless it's cold and she was fine). It was in the 40's-50's in the morning and kinda chilly for a couple of hours first thing so we had light jackets and sweat shirts to wear that we could toss in a bag or around our waist. It wasn't in the 70's for long those days so I didn't pack too many shorts, but did feel perfect in jeans.

I always like wearing short sleeve shirts with leggings or shorts. I think the leggings are thin enough that I don’t get hot. Bring a jacket for the morning and night.

As a local who goes to WDW for a week in January, I agree that layers are your friend. I pack half long pants and half Capri length pants, short sleeve shirts, and three jackets that can be layered in different configurations.

Roll those clothes, coordinate the colors for easy change ups and pack it away lol
long pants, shorts or capri for day and def light jacket with a cardigan/sweatshirt for early morn n Eve. Enjoy and stay safe!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter